Russia

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Perhaps China is also watching this development closely as it considers 'reunification' with Taiwan.  China's economy and their military is built on the investment of foreign companies willing to build plants, create jobs and provide goods in China as well as China's exporting of goods to the rest of the world. 

Fascinating point. First time I've heard this mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Well ummmm, that dispstick Asha must not remember the Trump admin giving Ukrainians those Javelins.  You know the ones Obama admin didn’t.   But she’s got a narrative to push and by golly she’s gonna push it.    

Well ummmmmm, he actually did try to withold giving the Ukrainians javelins unless Zelensky did him the favor of digging up dirt on a political rival.  So what Asha said in her tweet is accurate.  

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/11/15/trump-resisted-ukraine-sale-javelin-antitank-missile/

During the July 25 phone call between Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, the Ukrainian leader indicated that his country was on the brink of buying more Javelins from the United States. It was at this point in their conversation that Trump said, “I would like you to do us a favor though” and asked his Ukrainian counterpart to investigate a debunked conspiracy theory that claims that it was Ukraine, not Russia, that interfered in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. Trump then suggested that Zelensky also investigate former Vice President Joe Biden, a key 2020 Democratic political rival of Trump’s, and his son Hunter, who once sat on the board of a Ukrainian energy company. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, nic said:

I have heard chatter that we might stop Russian energy imports. It has bipartisan support, even from Pelosi. How long will it take to implement? …and ratchet up our production at home or at least get more from Canada and Mexico. Maybe the new interest in Venezuela is for oil???

This would be great.  Per the article I posted, the oil companies are in the same boat as everyone else.  They need people and equipment.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Fascinating point. First time I've heard this mentioned. 

In the end, somehow the world community needs to convince  China and Russia that they are better off not being aggressors.  This isn't 1939.  Their best interests is being a productive part of the global community and not aggressors who prey on the weak nations around them without provocation.   

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

In the end, somehow the world community needs to convince  China and Russia that they are better off not being aggressors.  This isn't 1939.  Their best interests is being a productive part of the global community and not aggressors who prey on the weak nations around them without provocation.   

Oh, it's absolutely a dry run for China potentially invading Taiwan; they're sitting back and taking copious notes as to what the reaction would be. 

58 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This would be great.  Per the article I posted, the oil companies are in the same boat as everyone else.  They need people and equipment.

I think I missed that in your article but it makes sense. My neighbor was in the oil industry. His son started on a rig right out of high school. He makes a ton a money at a dirty job. I would think they could hire all these high school boys that no longer want to go to college if word gets out how much they can make...and they are not allergic to hard nasty labor.:)

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What incentive do the Oil Companies have for boosting output? Seems like they are probably making bank, and increased output = more cost to them, and lower prices. One article I read had a US Oil Exec quote that said (paraphrasing) 'Yeah, we're gonna have to run increasing output by our investors' - which screams to me, yeah we'll increase output if our investors wanna make less money (HAHAHAHA). 

• Plus1 1

Some 74% of Americans - including solid majorities of Republicans and Democrats - said the United States and its allies in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization should impose a no-fly zone in Ukraine, the poll found.

An equally bipartisan 80% of Americans said the United States should stop buying Russian oil. The White House on Friday said it was weighing cuts to U.S. imports of Russian oil, though it is proceeding cautiously, concerned about a spike in gasoline prices that would add to high inflation.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/exclusive-americans-broadly-support-ukraine-no-fly-zone-russia-oil-ban-poll-2022-03-04/

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

What incentive do the Oil Companies have for boosting output? Seems like they are probably making bank, and increased output = more cost to them, and lower prices. One article I read had a US Oil Exec quote that said (paraphrasing) 'Yeah, we're gonna have to run increasing output by our investors' - which screams to me, yeah we'll increase output if our investors wanna make less money (HAHAHAHA). 

The price of oil gives them a lot of incentive.  

4 minutes ago, nic said:

Some 74% of Americans - including solid majorities of Republicans and Democrats - said the United States and its allies in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization should impose a no-fly zone in Ukraine, the poll found.

An equally bipartisan 80% of Americans said the United States should stop buying Russian oil. The White House on Friday said it was weighing cuts to U.S. imports of Russian oil, though it is proceeding cautiously, concerned about a spike in gasoline prices that would add to high inflation.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/exclusive-americans-broadly-support-ukraine-no-fly-zone-russia-oil-ban-poll-2022-03-04/

I would love for us to create a no fly zone over Ukraine.  However, when I have those feelings, I'm not taking into consideration how that escalated our aggression towards Russia and what that means.

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The price of oil gives them a lot of incentive.  

*When asked about production targets for 2022 during a January earnings call, ExxonMobil CEO Darren Woods responded, "The primary objectives we've had in looking at the portfolio is less about volume and volume targets and more about the quality and profitability of the barrels that we're producing."

Straight from the horses mouth. 

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would love for us to create a no fly zone over Ukraine.  However, when I have those feelings, I'm not taking into consideration how that escalated our aggression towards Russia and what that means.

I have considered what an escalation could possibly mean and I’m still for it.

What Russia is doing in Ukraine just should not be allowed. I say F Putin and do what’s right. If that ends the planet….it is what it is. We’re all going to die some day.

• Plus1 1