Russia

13 hours ago, Scarlet said:

Straight from the mouth of TASS. 

Because the US should always stick up for the little guy. Not that we do. If we don't Russia is not going to stop.

I watched a Tucker video last night. Have not seen one or his show in forever. He reminded me a bit of the new world order conspiracy theorists from the late 90s. Seems like he thinks many in our gov wanted and orchestrated this conflict intentionally. Even had a Ukraine video if Lindsey Graham from 2016. I think Tucker is roped in with the reincarnation of these new world order watchers/preppers...whatever they are called now.

16 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Perhaps you and @BigRedBuster can't answer this, but are you in favor of the proposed CHIPS Act in Congress? Does it go far enough to address the manufacturing of semiconductors? 

I don't know much about the industry, so I'm genuinely curious about your thoughts. 

I'm not in the chip industry.  I'm in the plastics industry.  There are ingredients we need that are only produced in China.  These facilities would take years to build and develop elsewhere.  

FYI...these ingredients are used in a large amount of plastic products you use from simple water bottles to municipal pipe.

I don't really know anything about the CHIPS act.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Perhaps you and @BigRedBuster can't answer this, but are you in favor of the proposed CHIPS Act in Congress? Does it go far enough to address the manufacturing of semiconductors? 

I don't know much about the industry, so I'm genuinely curious about your thoughts. 

I need to get educated on the act to comment.

13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Silver lining is that more people may take a longer look at electric vehicles.

If this is a major step to getting the US ready for wholesale changes in our transportation infastructure, then giddy up, let's go. 

29 minutes ago, nic said:

I need to get educated on the act to comment.

It's essentially $52 Billion to help companies like Intel, AMD, etc. to build more pre-fab plants in the US. It also calls for the supply chains to be integrated locally as much as possible. 

It seems the CHIPS Act had been pushed into another bill, called USICA. A larger bill that includes the CHIPS Act. Overall, it's $110 Billion to compete with China in AI, semi-conducter manufacturing, and other things. The goal is to integrate supply chains locally to compete with China in a sort of AI cold war.

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good...

But....get prepared people.  This could get rough financially.  Oil up another 7-8% today.

Good in the sense that this hurts Russia, bad in the sense that Republicans are going to push aside national interest to blame Biden for rising gas prices hurting the Democratic electoral position.

I'm also frustrated by the lack of Western military support, but the U.S. really can't do anything unilaterally here. Putin made it clear that a no-fly zone would be an act of war, and his first military response would not attack the U.S., but one of the NATO nations much closer to his borders. Putin's dream scenario would be for the US to go rogue and start a NATO schism. So I try not to do much gunslinging from the comfort of my house on the other side of the world. 

Nukes are definitely a concern because it's clear that the Russian army is having way too much trouble securing Ukraine and they haven't even gotten into street-by-street fighting, and won't be remotely equipped to occupy Ukraine for the foreseeable future. If Putin has to take action on another front, it's going to be missiles. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It's unfortunate that Democrats are going to be blown out this November because the "Biden is weak" narrative has already taken hold, as evidenced by the posts by the Conservative members of this board.

While Biden and the Democratic Party are going to pay a heavy political toll for all of this - they aren't going to control the Senate again for more than a decade - at least we can find solace in the fact that when the world faced a crisis, the President did the right thing by working with our Western allies to confront it in the best way possible. We may have lost the political war to Republicans, God help us, but at least competence helped take down Russia.

Unlike Trump voters, who are shameless, should be horrified at his pathetic response to COVID, his staffs relationship to Russia, his love affair with Putin, and how he tried to use Ukraine to dig up dirt on a rival. Way to go Trump voters, you couldn't have elected a bigger historical joke.

I don’t disagree with much of what you say. However there are two things. Biden and the dems will likely be routed in upcoming elections but it will be due to the economy and not much else. Doesn’t matter which party is in charge, with this inflation and gas prices where they’ll be, those perceived in charge will pay for it in the election booth. The 2nd thing is, I think it’s a bit premature to claim anyone has brought down Russia. They are still killing scores of innocent Ukrainian people and appear headed towards achieving their objective. It remains to be seen if the sanctions will do much more than cause suffering for the Russian people.

• Plus1 3
45 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm also frustrated by the lack of Western military support, but the U.S. really can't do anything unilaterally here. Putin made it clear that a no-fly zone would be an act of war, and his first military response would not attack the U.S., but one of the NATO nations much closer to his borders. Putin's dream scenario would be for the US to go rogue and start a NATO schism. So I try not to do much gunslinging from the comfort of my house on the other side of the world. 

Nukes are definitely a concern because it's clear that the Russian army is having way too much trouble securing Ukraine and they haven't even gotten into street-by-street fighting, and won't be remotely equipped to occupy Ukraine for the foreseeable future. If Putin has to take action on another front, it's going to be missiles. 

Very valid points.

It hasn’t been my intention to rattle sabers but I am extremely frustrated and saddened by the images coming out of Ukraine. Of course we cannot do anything unilaterally but a bully like Putin is just begging for the international community to stand up to him.

Much of the fear is that he may not stop with Ukraine and keep going. I don’t really share that concern but it is a travesty that we seemingly can do no more.

I don't think we're getting a 100% true version of how this war is going from any source. But the evidence we have - stalled Russian forces, broken equipment, failures of basic logistics - give credence to Ukrainian testimony that they have a fighting chance.

Here's another account - from a Ukrainian source - that speaks of Russia's problems.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
47 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t disagree with much of what you say. However there are two things. Biden and the dems will likely be routed in upcoming elections but it will be due to the economy and not much else. Doesn’t matter which party is in charge, with this inflation and gas prices where they’ll be, those perceived in charge will pay for it in the election booth. The 2nd thing is, I think it’s a bit premature to claim anyone has brought down Russia. They are still killing scores of innocent Ukrainian people and appear headed towards achieving their objective. It remains to be seen if the sanctions will do much more than cause suffering for the Russian people.

As for elections, you are correct. Democrats were going to suffer an electoral defeat largely because of inflation - which is outside of their control. 

The difference is that rising gas prices will cause Democrats to go from losing 30 House and 2 Senate seats to losing 50 House and 4 Senate seats. The disaster will be greatly exacerbated. Sanctions on oil are only helpful if Republicans don't try to eck out a partisan advantage and instead come together for the good of the world in a bipartisan fashion. We all know what they're going to choose. 

As for Russia, it's accurate to say that Russia hasn't been brought down. However, the most likely outcome is extreme economic suffering causing Russia to become dependent on China. Their economy is suffering from extreme damage every day that goes by. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

As for Russia, it's accurate to say that Russia hasn't been brought down. However, the most likely outcome is extreme economic suffering causing Russia to become dependent on China. Their economy is suffering from extreme damage every day that goes by. 

And that damage is going to compound as this moves forward. I would imagine it could grow exponentially as systems crash in cascading fashion.

Americans thought we had it bad with Covid-related supply chain issues. That's nothing compared to what the West is unleashing on Russia.