Russia

30 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Because we are the ones who could provide the F-16 replacements.

According to the article I read, the problem is not giving them Mig 29s but rather the physical logistics if getting them into Ukraine. After removing certain NATO specific technology we can’t simply fly them into Ukraine. That would be perceived as a problem by Russia as they would supposedly know where they took off from.

It doesn’t make a ton of sense but I get the gist of the issues. Seems like there should be a way considering we can get other weapons into Ukraine.

Again, I would think the planes are already in Poland.  So.....the Ukrainian pilots would be taken to Poland to get the planes.  We can send technicians to Poland to take out the NATO tech.  We then fly F-16s to Poland to replace them.

What it boils down to is that these things are extremely complicated and common people like us aren't privy to the fine details that would make it make sense.

30 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Well Mig 29s are Russian tech and Ukraine used to basically be Russia, so……

OK....but if Ukraine already has trained Mig pilots....wouldn't they have planes already?  Maybe just not enough.

BTW....how many planes are we talking about here?  10?50?100?

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Again, I would think the planes are already in Poland.  So.....the Ukrainian pilots would be taken to Poland to get the planes.  We can send technicians to Poland to take out the NATO tech.  We then fly F-16s to Poland to replace them.

What it boils down to is that these things are extremely complicated and common people like us aren't privy to the fine details that would make it make sense.

OK....but if Ukraine already has trained Mig pilots....wouldn't they have planes already?  Maybe just not enough.

BTW....how many planes are we talking about here?  10?50?100?

I think part of the problem is the planes cannot take off from Poland and land in Ukraine. Apparently the russkies could perceive that as Poland entering the fray regardless who the pilots are. And you are correct, it may seem rather simple to the average Joe but transferring fighter jets is likely a very complicated process (and that’s probably a good thing). IIRC it was 30-40 planes?

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I think part of the problem is the planes cannot take off from Poland and land in Ukraine. Apparently the russkies could perceive that as Poland entering the fray regardless who the pilots are. And you are correct, it may seem rather simple to the average Joe but transferring fighter jets is likely a very complicated process (and that’s probably a good thing). IIRC it was 30-40 planes?

That was one of my original points.  It seems like Poland wants us to be perceived as the ones giving the planes because we are the more powerful adversary. Which....I'm not real comfortable with.  

24 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Trumpists still carrying Putin's water.  Soulless creature

He talks about holding back money for Ukraine which would include humanitarian aid.  Then one looks at the the picture of Jesus in the background.  I can almost hear the picture speaking back:  “Woe to you, [self-righteous] scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which look beautiful on the outside (Ok he doesn't), but inside are full of dead men’s bones and everything unclean." Matt 23:27 

• Plus1 4

More reasons for the natives to revolt. 

• Fitch Ratings has cut Russia's credit rating from B to C after the invasion of Ukraine.
  • The downgrade reflects Fitch's view that a sovereign default is 'imminent', it said Tuesday.
  • Sanctions and plans to limit energy trade mean Russia might not pay some debt obligations, Fitch said.

Fitch Ratings is anticipating an "imminent" Russian default, it said as it cut the country's credit rating for the second time in seven days

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Trumpists still carrying Putin's water.  Soulless creature

He's already setting up the opportunity to disregard whatever "facts" he deems necessary.

Obviously, we don't just want to shell out money to shell out money, but there are many tangible facts we can look at right now to support financial aid in certain sectors. Naturally, I don't think the U.S. should be the only one on the hook for that, but they likely wouldn't be with their NATO allies.

I wonder which "facts" he thinks he needs to see before it's worth it. Maybe his full segment elaborates, but I doubt it.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

That was one of my original points.  It seems like Poland wants us to be perceived as the ones giving the planes because we are the more powerful adversary. Which....I'm not real comfortable with.  

I guess I don’t blame them. They’re right next door. We’re half way around the world. Besides that, Russia pretty much knows where they’re from anyway.

I don’t think it’s about who gives them to them as much as it is about them showing up on Russian radar over Ukraine.

Poland has for a long time been the most vocal/helpful european country when it comes to aiding the US.  They also have or have had the fastest growing economy in Europe.

This was a big/smart move by Poland to show how aligned they are with the US and really how much they hate Russia.  Some people are not a fan of that word but most of the people that don't like the word "hate" don't understand what Poland has been through because of the moron russians.

If Putin thinks that he will get control of Ukraine AND threaten Poland he is mistaken.  

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Gen Z isn't where the whiny a$$ b!^@hes are coming from. 

My high school kids complain about gas prices a lot. Even when prices were in the 3s. I don’t buy their gas for them. My son was just commenting about how his bank account stopped going up. He is basically working part time for gas. Maybe they will ride their bikes more this summer. 

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

It's fine if you want to call out the Lincoln project for playing politics in a horrible situation. Yet in your post, you only call the Lincoln Project out and not Putin and Russia for the atrocity. Do you see the problem there?

Mothers and children buried in the rubble is not calling them out. Cmon man. It’s terrible. Have you seen the pictures? Sorry I didn’t add F Putin. My point was why turn this atrocity  political? 

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's the way I thought it would work before.  However, in the articles I have read, it appears Poland wanted to give the US the MiGs so the US could give them to Ukraine.

I know it sounds trivial.  But, there must be a strategic reason why Poland wanted it that way.

Just my guess:  Poland doesn't want to look like they are giving them the planes because they are a small country and they don't want to be the ones viewed by Putin as escalation.  Poland would rather have the US viewed as the ones giving the planes since we are the stronger and more powerful opposition to Russia.

That would make sense. US can’t do that. I understood it to be Poland owned MiGs that they give to Ukraine and the US would backfill their mig loss with our fighter jets. But then the MiGs were not in Poland.

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Don't get me wrong. I love the Greatest Generation. My parents grew up during the Depression and World War II.

But the fact is, they didn't have a choice. Greatness was thrust upon them.

And by Greatness I mean sacrifice. 

Agreed. And they stepped up and did it. 

• Thanks 1