What Did We Learn? Purdue

Waldo

7 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

Reading the board after the Purdue loss I learned losses this year are due to our subpar talent whereas last year losses were due to all the great talent on our roster not being developed by the coaches. 

I also learned with the "right" coach on the sideline, losing to Purdue at home creates less uproar than beating them in dramatic fashion on the road. 

Subpar talent and undeveloped talent are the same thing, and at play in both situations, nothing has changed.  If you don’t think a different reaction is justified between a 3rd year coach going backwards in quality wins, and responsible completely for the underdeveloped sub par talent,  and the coach 1/4 season in, so far down he can’t even think about “quality” wins yet, then you’ll probably always complain about your cold ice cream. 

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

Reading the board after the Purdue loss I learned losses this year are due to our subpar talent whereas last year losses were due to all the great talent on our roster not being developed by the coaches. 

I also learned with the "right" coach on the sideline, losing to Purdue at home creates less uproar than beating them in dramatic fashion on the road. 

So, who is the 'right' coach? Riley? Really? If Frost isn't the 'right' coach, who is? If the fans and their double standards are so annoying, and the Huskers are just that bad, there are other teams that aren't 0-4 to pull for....

• Plus1 3

10 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

So, who is the 'right' coach? Riley? Really? If Frost isn't the 'right' coach, who is? If the fans and their double standards are so annoying, and the Huskers are just that bad, there are other teams that aren't 0-4 to pull for....

Frost is the right coach. He's the only coach, for the very reason that we'd be insanely critical if any other coach (or AD) was having this exact same season. 

So yeah, it's worth noting how the criteria and bitching have changed when the supposed problem has been removed and the supposed solution is on the sideline. TheSker is almost comical that way. It's just dishonest to say this season hasn't been really depressing so far. 

But it also gets the fanbase to a place where we have to accept a few cold, hard facts and previously unacceptable losses as Nebraska football starts from scratch. I give Frost and the players a fresh start every Saturday. Probably hold off on judgements for three seasons. 

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Frost is the right coach. He's the only coach, for the very reason that we'd be insanely critical if any other coach (or AD) was having this exact same season. 

So yeah, it's worth noting how the criteria and bitching have changed when the supposed problem has been removed and the supposed solution is on the sideline. TheSker is almost comical that way. It's just dishonest to say this season hasn't been really depressing so far. 

But it also gets the fanbase to a place where we have to accept a few cold, hard facts and previously unacceptable losses as Nebraska football starts from scratch. I give Frost and the players a fresh start every Saturday. Probably hold off on judgements for three seasons. 

How does noting this help? What does it prove? That we should've kept Riley? I don't get it.  We out-yarded pu and cu with freshmen, walk-ons, and 3rd stringers at most other B1G schools. If an axe is over anyone's head, it's probably Chinander and/or Dewitt. Frost is an offensive-minded guy (yes, I know he is accountable for everything), and the offense is moving the ball for the most part.

It's pretty simple. Frost is the guy for at least four, if not five years. I don't know what else to do but get behind him.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

How does noting this help? What does it prove? That we should've kept Riley? I don't get it.  We out-yarded pu and cu with freshmen, walk-ons, and 3rd stringers at most other B1G schools. If an axe is over anyone's head, it's probably Chinander and/or Dewitt. Frost is an offensive-minded guy (yes, I know he is accountable for everything), and the offense is moving the ball for the most part.

It's pretty simple. Frost is the guy for at least four, if not five years. I don't know what else to do but get behind him.

How do you make the leap that I think we should have kept Riley? Especially when my post leads with the words "Frost is the right coach?"

Have you seen a single post in this 0-4 season suggesting we should have kept Riley?

There's not an axe over anyone's head. I don't see any reason to panic. I don't know anyone who isn't behind Scott Frost. But are we really not supposed to notice that things aren't turning out like we'd hoped, or predicted?

I don't know if anything we post here helps or proves anything, because it's a football fanboard. There's nothing else to do. Hard not to notice that last year we weren't supposed to celebrate a one point victory against Purdue on the road, and this year we are supposed to celebrate our yards per play average in a two touchdown loss to Purdue at home. 

The people who second guess every play call will always be here, no matter the coach. Scott Frost will be here for several years if we're lucky. But if Nebraska fans are as knowledgeable as we like to think, we won't suddenly decide that the players are to blame and the coaches infallible, cause that doesn't help, either. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

How do you make the leap that I think we should have kept Riley? Especially when my post leads with the words "Frost is the right coach?"

Have you seen a single post in this 0-4 season suggesting we should have kept Riley?

There's not an axe over anyone's head. I don't see any reason to panic. I don't know anyone who isn't behind Scott Frost. But are we really not supposed to notice that things aren't turning out like we'd hoped, or predicted?

I don't know if anything we post here helps or proves anything, because it's a football fanboard. There's nothing else to do. Hard not to notice that last year we weren't supposed to celebrate a one point victory against Purdue on the road, and this year we are supposed to celebrate our yards per play average in a two touchdown loss to Purdue at home. 

The people who second guess every play call will always be here, no matter the coach. Scott Frost will be here for several years if we're lucky. But if Nebraska fans are as knowledgeable as we like to think, we won't suddenly decide that the players are to blame and the coaches infallible, cause that doesn't help, either. 

Riley was the 'supposed' problem? There wasn't any 'supposed' about it. That guy, nice as he is, should never have been chosen to lead Nebraska, and the staff assembled around him were the joke of college football.  

Frost is the 'supposed' solution? Nope. He IS the solution. 

I agree that there isn't, nor should there be an ax over anyone's head. I just don't get how Chin can blitz the hell out of colorado and then play diaco soft against troy and purdue. Specifically, one thing that drives me nuts are the corners playing 10 yards off when it's 3rd and 5. 

I understand the supposed double standard with the fans, but we're smart enough to see that despite being a depressing 0-4, there are flashes of brilliance and hope, a reason to believe that Frost is the guy and Riley never was.

• Plus1 2
22 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

I learned they were subpar last year after three years of Riley and they still are this year.

• Plus1 1