Nebraska has won the 2nd half of the season

knapplc

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

You're lying if you say you saw this coming.

After the first game was cancelled, our QB got hurt by them cheatin' Buffs in game two which led to a loss, and the season spiraled downward with defections and losses mounting, it looked like the homecoming of Scott Frost was going to be an unmitigated disaster in year one.

But a funny thing happened on the way to a winless season.

After starting 0-6, we flipped the script on Minnesota, beating the pants off a team that had trounced us last year.

1-0 for the second half.

Then Bethune-Cookman.

2-0 for the second half

Then a narrow loss to Ohio State.

2-1 for the second half, but we knew we should have won this game.

Then a blowout of Illinois.

3-1 for the second half.

And then the soft part of the schedule was over, and it was time to find out what this team was really going to be. 

Michigan State came to town, and brought their stout defense. And the temperatures dropped. The wind blew. The snow swirled. And for three quarters, it looked like all progress had been lost.

Then Devine Ozigbo stepped up. Stan stepped up. Martinez stepped up. Barrett Freaking Pickering stepped up. Antonio Reed played like a man possessed.  And playing Michigan State's game, we won.

4-1 for the second half.

Now we go to Iowa.  A team that's beaten us bloody the last three years.

I have no idea if we'll beat Iowa. But it doesn't really matter. This season was lost early in October.  We're almost assured of not going to a bowl game.

But just for the hell of it, let's win. Let's finish the second half 5-1 and see where it gets us.

100% agree.  beating Iowa, at this point, would be like winning a bowl game.  It'd be great and another way to start installing the foundation brick by brick.

• Plus1 2

I didn't see this coming, but I saw something in this spirit or something like this coming.

After the Colorado game, I thought A) we would have won that game if we had played Akron, and B) I think we're gonna lose at least another 1-2 games that we don't need to until we learn how to win. 

I think if we played the Akron game, we'd be 8-3 or 7-4. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

I didn't see this coming, but I saw something in this spirit or something like this coming.

After the Colorado game, I thought A) we would have won that game if we had played Akron, and B) I think we're gonna lose at least another 1-2 games that we don't need to until we learn how to win. 

I think if we played the Akron game, we'd be 8-3 or 7-4. 

I will swear they would have started 3-0, had they played Akron, till the day i die.

• Plus1 1

I don’t know Knap. I mean I won’t sit here and say I predicted the season to turn out this way. Far from it. But I will say even through the rough 0-6 stretch I was fairly sanguine about things because I felt the team was  changing for the better. 

Just so proud of the way they fought today. It’s easy to critique this call or that call. But overall to see these kids who seemed to have little desire or heart the past few years leave everything out there with nothing to play for but each other and the N makes my season. And I think it says so much more about Coach Frost and what he means to Nebraska then whether he had the right game plan today. What he produced today was a team that refused to be beat and found a way. 

When was the last time you can honestly say that about a Nebraska football team?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Frost was absolutely right that the team didn't get it and losing people could make the team better.  If we get to 5 wins, 8 was definitely a possibility given how some of the losses have gone.

Time to get deep enough to take it to the next level. We need a monster nose guard so the Davis twins can play outside with their speed. Add some depth and some power on the oline to handle a D like today or Michigan and this team will jump. Get another Barry at linebacker and make safeties play like Reed today and we're on our way.

Frost is teaching them to win no matter what type of game it ends up being, high or low scoring, ahead or behind.

• Plus1 1