What did we learn: Iowa edition?

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

very seldom did the “out pattern to the sideline” not pick up positive yards. If that were a running play, everyone would love the results. The staff treat as a running play. 

Honestly the only time I remember it failing when the pass wasn’t dropped was when Stoll whiffed on a block that would have sprung it for probably 10 yds or so. 

55 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This might be the worst take I've seen all season. AM is more calm and cool in the pocket than any Husker QB I can remember. Plus he's extremely elusive and uses his feet to get out of trouble frequently.

Before you continue your complaining about Martinez, you might want to take a gander at his stats - you know, the where he put up the best true frosh season ever at NU. I haven't taken the time to look at his numbers compared to first-year starters at NU, but I'm betting he's pretty high up that list too.

RUSHING         GP-GS  Att Gain Loss  Net   Avg  TD Long Avg/G
--------------------------------------------------------------
Adrian Martinez 11-11  140  847  218  629   4.5   8   53  57.2

PASSING         GP-GS   Effic Cmp-Att-Int   Pct  Yds  TD Lng Avg/G
------------------------------------------------------------------
Adrian Martinez 11-11  139.46  224-347-8   64.6 2617  17  75 237.9

65% completion is right up there with Joe Ganz and junior year Taylor Martinez. We shouldn't be taking this quarterback play for granted because its some of the best we have ever seen.

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Ya but does he pass the eyeball test??? Statics can be made to show anything.

My eyeball test says AM has unbelievable stats if they hadn’t called so many pocket passes and forced him to swim upstream.

It defies logic that you would handicap your own QB like that against a slow team with 6’8 DL.

Seems fishy that we would coach so many odd things that a PeeWee league coach can spot.

Peyton Manning can’t overcome that.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

My eyeball test says AM has unbelievable stats if they hadn’t called so many pocket passes and forced him to swim upstream.

It defies logic that you would handicap your own QB like that against a slow team with 6’8 DL.

Seems fishy that we would coach so many odd things that a PeeWee league coach can spot.

Lots of assumptions and pomposity in this post.

• Plus1 5

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:33 PM, lo country said:

I'm hoping the board has some activity in the off season.  I guess we have recruiting and then spring conditioning to talk about......

I know how much you like a good running game and I think you'll be happy with the RBs we have coming in. We also have some defensive guys who look like they could make an immediate impact.

• Plus1 1

20 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I don't think you understand or appreciate "pocket passing."

It's just a pass play. Quarterback drops back, receivers go out, and the more time they have, chances are they get deeper and/or more open. If a QB can hold his ground one extra second, good things can happen.

If the pocket is collapsing, he can scramble. And because it's a pass play, an athletic QB can take advantage of the big cushion of green that calling a pocket pass created.

That's not "swimming upstream." It's just good football. And it looks like our freshman QB is good at all phases. 

I would have called a few more QB draws myself, but Scott Frost was the highly coveted offensive guru, not me. Or you. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

I learned today that Iowa won the game and I saw Hawkeye friends on Facebook complaining about the game and things that may or may not have happened.  Maybe it because they won with a last second FG at home to a team with 4 wins.  Maybe it is because they know of the Big Red storm that is coming....

enjoy your wins Iowa.  Celebrate them and don’t worry about us.  We will be back!