Youngstown AD expects Bo Pelini to stay on as head coach

knapplc

53 minutes ago, Redux said:

That's just it, Eichorst was hired to fire Bo Pelini.  The idiot's who hired him didn't think any further than that.  They just assumed he would hire another guy who could win 9 or 10 or maybe more with some luck.  But as I've been trying to explain elsewhere, the AD job of hiring coaches isn't as easy as some people think.  Eichorst wanted Bielma and almost had him.  He got played in the end.  So, with no backup choice in mind he found Mike Riley.

A better AD would have established a better relationship with the current coach from the get go and the whole mess maybe never happens.  But Bo had been souring people on his attitude, you can't act like Nick Saban and get blown out like Mike Riley it turns out.

I think (with the benefit of hindsight) Eichorst screwed the pouch when he didn't fire Pelini the year before when Bo publicly dared the AD to fire him.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, OTHusker said:

nebraska didn’t pay off Riley a lump sum until after he had gamed the system with his sham 50 k salary at Oregon state 

several sources including the owh stated nu was making payments

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/nu-paid-former-coach-riley-lump-sum-of-more-than/article_f0b24796-b2a6-50ec-a68f-16ef42cdc179.html

did you even read the article you posted? It doesnt say what you think it says.....what day was Riley fired? When did we factor his lump sum payment? 

Each had contract language that stipulated monthly payments until he gained new employment, at which point a lump sum could be calculated and paid out. 

Riley was paid $6,235,393, covering obligations from Dec. 6, 2017 through the end of his original contract term on Feb. 29, 2021.

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I was uncomfortable with the change at the time, and though it's worked out now (by getting Frost), I still think it was the wrong move. If you're going to fire a coach who wins 9-10 games every year, you better have a home run hire coming in, not a library card carrying Mr. Rogers in oversized sweats.

Firing Bo was 100% the right move.

Hiring Riley was a different move that was a very bad/wrong one.

The idea of not firing a coach until you know you've got an amazing replacement already lined up is not realistic imo.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I think (with the benefit of hindsight) Eichorst screwed the pouch when he didn't fire Pelini the year before when Bo publicly dared the AD to fire him.

Well everyone knew it was coming, the shock was retaining him for 2014 and then firing him after a win on the road over Iowa.  It made little sense to carr the charade another season, but again I think this plays into the Bielma factor.

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

The idea of not firing a coach until you know you've got an amazing replacement already lined up is not realistic imo.

Correct.  But not having options on the table before firing a coach is a big gamble, and this gamble did not workout for Sean.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Redux said:

Well everyone knew it was coming, the shock was retaining him for 2014 and then firing him after a win on the road over Iowa.  It made little sense to carr the charade another season, but again I think this plays into the Bielma factor.

Yep. IMO Bielema would have been almost as bad as Riley. Eichorst just didn't know what he was doing when it came to hiring a football coach.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

With the back channels these coaches, and AD's have access too, I don't think it's unrealistic at all. And if you don't think that you've got a candidate that can at least accomplish what the current guy is (which was pretty good compared to what came after) than don't fire the guy who is winning 70% of his games.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

The whole "dare" thing is inaccurate.  My guess is a media member used it for clicks.

Pelini and Osborne both found out what Perlman's plan was and Osborne intervened using his contacts.

This was the major landslide in the Osborne/Perlman relationship.

There was an immense amount going on behind the scenes, and the firing got overruled.  But Perlman then made the decision on his own the next year.

Hardly a "dare".  Pelini knew good and well Perlman wanted it done the previous year.

......and Perlman gave a great little nugget in his retirement speech about how he'll be remembered in regard to Nebraska football.

• Plus1 1