** 2019 Opponent Previews : Colorado (Game 2) **

Colorado has some very good players on their team. I think Montez is one of the more underrated QBs in the nation. He played well last year with a bad offensive line, and their best player got injured. Big, tall, and accurate passer. Not fast but an effective runner if he has to be for some first downs. Landman is one of the better LBs in the P12 and Mustafa Johnson had over 15 TFL last season and they picked up a few good grad transfers. Their depth overall is not good, but they have some players that can change some games around for them this year. Turnovers, penalties, and 0-3 on 4th down is why we lost last year. 

• Plus1 1

I would love it to see a blowout. I hope I'm wrong but I think this will be tougher game than many think. Shenault will be the best skill player we play all year, and Montes can get the ball to him as he proved last year. Montes is a gamer. Mel has a great Defensive mind, and the cupboard isn't bare. 

I think we may win, but close game. 35-28. 

2019 Bronko Nagurski Trophy watch list announced

The Football Writers Association of America has released its preseason watch list for the 2019 Bronko Nagurski Trophy, which is presented annually to the best defensive player in college football.

The Nagurski watch list consisted of 92 players from 65 schools around the country – including 28 defensive linemen, 36 linebackers and 28 defensive backs – and each of the 10 FBS conferences were represented on the list.

Mustafa Johnson | DE | Colorado
Patrick Johnson | DE | Colorado

Nate Landman | LB | Colorado

• Plus1 1

I have confidence in our corners too, but I don't think they're shutting Shenault down. You just try and minimize his impact, none of those 40 yard touchdowns. It's pretty tough for a receiver to completely take over a game, so I don't really care if he gets his numbers as long as they aren't back-breaking plays.

• Plus1 1

Those of you with nerves, go back and watch the game last year.  Take away fumbles on the first two drives that turned into 14 points for them and we would be up 20-30 points at the half.  We dominated them but made many errors.  That was our first game of the year and Colorado's 2nd.  It was also our first game in the system, the first for AM etc...  This game won't be close.  NU45   CU17

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Those of you with nerves, go back and watch the game last year.  Take away fumbles on the first two drives that turned into 14 points for them and we would be up 20-30 points at the half.  We dominated them but made many errors.  That was our first game of the year and Colorado's 2nd.  It was also our first game in the system, the first for AM etc...  This game won't be close.  NU45   CU17

They have many of those same problems this year, except their head coach is on career game 2. 

There is a reason teams so universally take a huge step in Year 2, and it's often because Year 1 is so full of silly mistakes that you learn to stop making the second year. 

56 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Better hope they improved. Montez was playing pitch and catch last year against us 

The main pain point in that game last season was probably our safeties more than our corners IMO. Especially Reed. Thing is, I don't necessarily feel much more confident about who plugs in for Reed/Williams.

But I actually feel pretty solid on Bootle & Jackson.

• Plus1 1