Fall Camp Notes

I am so happy to see them execute a pretty good looking 'option' play with QB and pitch RB both running in good alignment, sycrhony, etc.  Good looking pitch and so on.  Last year's spring game they couldn't even begin to run a tradtional option action play down the line and make a successful pitch.   Now if we can see the QB reading the right defenders and the RB keep in good relative position to accept the pitch timely, this offense will add another 10 pts a game - even if we only run 4 or 5 pitch options a game.  Those are great red zone plays - an area we really did poorly last year.  

You gotta love this addition.  I also like those QB option passes after turning up field.   Those are a rare sight today and can be big plays.

Wandale looks electric and very quick.   He maybe our best smaller RB.   

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t want to hear about this ever again (even though it was cool). I think there were fans who thought we should use it for every play. 

I would have ran it until the other team stopped it. I believe NU wanted to be “multiple” and seemingly went to something that didn’t work. 

4 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I am so happy to see them execute a pretty good looking 'option' play with QB and pitch RB both running in good alignment, sycrhony, etc.  Good looking pitch and so on.  Last year's spring game they couldn't even begin to run a tradtional option action play down the line and make a successful pitch.   Now if we can see the QB reading the right defenders and the RB keep in good relative position to accept the pitch timely, this offense will add another 10 pts a game - even if we only run 4 or 5 pitch options a game.  Those are great red zone plays - an area we really did poorly last year.  

You gotta love this addition.  I also like those QB option passes after turning up field.   Those are a rare sight today and can be big plays.

Wandale looks electric and very quick.   He maybe our best smaller RB.   

The pass thrown by McCaffrey was on a busted play during practice work. While it shows great awareness and smarts by him and the RB, I doubt we will see a designed play like that occur often.

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t want to hear about this ever again (even though it was cool). I think there were fans who thought we should use it for every play. 

It was hard not to when it seemed like every time we actually went to it the play went for 15 yards automatic. Tim Beck was so god damn frustrating because I loved the premise and scheme of his offense and it fit Nebraska so well but he wasn't the right person to run it at a high enough level.

• Plus1 3
16 hours ago, Salsa Red said:

Isn't the saying don't practice til you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong. I think that was one of the reasons we used to be so consistent. We practiced the same thing for years and built off that.

Exactly, and this is what Wisconsin does, what Northwestern does, what Iowa has always done.

Knowing your job better than the opponents knows theirs is a good advantage.

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

It was hard not to when it seemed like every time we actually went to it the play went for 15 yards automatic. Tim Beck was so god damn frustrating because I loved the premise and scheme of his offense and it fit Nebraska so well but he wasn't the right person to run it at a high enough level.

I think he wanted to be like Oregon but didn't know what he was doing.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think he wanted to be like Oregon but didn't know what he was doing.

He knew what he was doing, in a great way, in pretty much every capacity except for the actual 60 minutes of gameplay. Brilliant scheme, great chess pieces, really exciting and high octane offense. Eventually run into the ground by an inability to think on the fly and keep strategizing effectively in the moment. Shame.

32 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

This....clueless

I’m not going anywhere near that far, his offenses have done some good things, but they’re piecemeal. 

An example of how Frost’s offense is different can be found in that wheel route vs Iowa we’ve been discussing this week. Frost commonly, for a variety of reasons, sends his back on a flat route. Iowa knew that and when Mo released into his route, that LB expecting a flat takes a much too sharp of an angle and gets burned when it’s instead a wheel route. Frost’s offense is filled with plays and concepts that build off each other, making it much easier to address situations in the moment. 

The Auburn vs UCF game is the ultimate example. What a chess match that game is, and still an incredible watch.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Landlord said:

He knew what he was doing, in a great way, in pretty much every capacity except for the actual 60 minutes of gameplay. Brilliant scheme, great chess pieces, really exciting and high octane offense. Eventually run into the ground by an inability to think on the fly and keep strategizing effectively in the moment. Shame.

He stuck to his script, he had a plan and even if it worked or didn't work he was sticking to his script.