Huskers in the 2020 NFL Draft

Mavric

3 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

a lot of the times being a udfa is better than being a 7th round pick. It means a team wasn’t able to fill all it’s hole and now they can go attempt to get what they feel is the best available player at a position of need. Lots of guys have success after going undrafted

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

a lot of the times being a udfa is better than being a 7th round pick. It means a team wasn’t able to fill all it’s hole and now they can go attempt to get what they feel is the best available player at a position of need. Lots of guys have success after going undrafted

And many, many many more guys don't.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

And many, many, many guys who get drafted don't have success either. Just the name of the game, the best players stay on the field. 

You bet, but the guys getting drafted in the early rounds have a much higher percentage chance at finding success vs the guys drafted in the late round and an infinitely higher chance than those not drafted.  Good luck to them all, but I'll eat a jumbo bowl of crow if Lamar makes a roster.. I'd be surprised if the Davis boys make it as well, but I feel they at least have the right attitude in place to make it. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

Being a 7th round pick is better in the fact that they wanted you sooner udfa means they wanted you 8th 9th or 10th - now there is a benefit to being udfa  and that is if you get multiple offers you ( the player) get to pick your team

47 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Being a 7th round pick is better in the fact that they wanted you sooner udfa means they wanted you 8th 9th or 10th - now there is a benefit to being udfa  and that is if you get multiple offers you ( the player) get to pick your team

It's true they valued you enough to pick you, but team's still feel no more reason to keep a 6th/7th rounder than an UDFA if they don't perform in camp. They do feel obligated to keep 3rd/4th/5th rounders for a year or two due to the value of that selection though.

I'd say 6th/7th/UDFA all have equal shot to make the team by simply performing or get cut equally as well.

UDFA is better than nothing.  I am just ready to start having multiple guys drafted on a regular basis.  And in the first 3 rounds.  IMHO, our draft results correspond directly with our seasonal records.....No way around it. Putting guys into the show on a regular basis seems to correlate to a more successful program.  And guys with stars in HS tend to have a higher percentage of going pro than those with lower stars....Ready to see our on the field results match with the recruiting.  Another year or 2 of losing records and I will really doubt the process....

Back to the Joe Burrow discussion, LSU had 14 guys gets drafted.  10 in the 1st 3 rounds.....Damn. That was a stacked team.  IIRC tied OSU for the most guys drafted in one year.  OSU was maybe 2004...

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I would guess this isn't a lot different order than the win-loss record over that time:

And we out recruit our conference foes year in and year and still lose......My first and most honest assessment is a complete lack of player develop.....BUT it is also a combination of players who had 3 different HC's, multiple coordinators, multiple position coaches, scheme and techniques....It is hard not to be 100% honest as a fan and realize that NU football has been a sh!t show for quite some time.  Regardless of Frosts record this year or next, looking at our dismal record, you wonder if holding the line for the duration of his 7 year contract is the best if not only course we have....

• Plus1 6
14 hours ago, lo country said:

And we out recruit our conference foes year in and year and still lose......My first and most honest assessment is a complete lack of player develop.....BUT it is also a combination of players who had 3 different HC's, multiple coordinators, multiple position coaches, scheme and techniques....It is hard not to be 100% honest as a fan and realize that NU football has been a sh!t show for quite some time.  Regardless of Frosts record this year or next, looking at our dismal record, you wonder if holding the line for the duration of his 7 year contract is the best if not only course we have....

I think this is what the administrators and big boosters settled on two years ago and that's part of why Frost was already extended. They looked at it and said go all in on Frost and hope to hell it works. I don't think Frost will feel real heat from the higher ups until year 4 or 5. The rest of the fan base might get mad, but ultimately they don't drive the decisions.

• Plus1 2

22 hours ago, lo country said:

Yes and no - NU attrition has been terrible I'm working on some big10 team rankings based on current rosters it should be telling.  Frost has also red shirted a crazy high % based on the situation he is in.