Duval's S&C - Year 3

Mavric

16 minutes ago, Decked said:

That triple by Mosai was pretty ugly. Head down and not extended would probably create a more stable spot for the bar. 

Mark Rippetoe set down his bottle of whiskey and turned his gaze towards Lincoln like the eye of Sauron.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I am not a serious lifter at all though I did some weight training decades ago.  I wonder what advantage is there to these “free” squats or other lifts generally vs a machine with built in safety features ?   It seems must more dangerous to me?   Machines cost but still spotters etc cost and injuries are very expensive too.  

53 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I am not a serious lifter at all though I did some weight training decades ago.  I wonder what advantage is there to these “free” squats or other lifts generally vs a machine with built in safety features ?   It seems must more dangerous to me?   Machines cost but still spotters etc cost and injuries are very expensive too.  

I don’t feel like going down a crazy rabbit hole but let’s just say that training on your feet is much more of a carryover to increased athletic performance, reduces injury, and stimulates more muscular fibers that cannot be recreated with a machine. This is why we do the the squat, the press, the deadlift (hip hinge), the row, etc. natural planes of motion trained from the floor. Again, so much more I can dive into. They are also not bodybuilders & are not trying to stimulate individual muscle groups near as often through single joint isolation movements. They care about the unit as a whole. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
16 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Building on the last post...there are secondary muscles that aren't engaged when using a machine versus non-machines.  

Thanks.  Appreciate the info.  I understand there should be benefits to both (free lifting and the controlled/focused of machines).  I was wondering about the safety, balance, etc. I might have guessed something like the extra big weight lifts with a machine vs perhaps lesser amounts with free lifts.  What little I know would be with pros/cons of lots of reps with less weights vs a few reps with big weight.  

Maybe they do few reps / heavier to increase strength as opposed to lots of reps to fatigue for bulking up.   

I also suppose they are not body building for show - but looking for short bursts of big power for football benefit.  Of course conditioning is also a goal.

Again thanks for the imput.  Just curious really.  Need something to ponder these football-less days.