The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

At least Minnesota has a mask mandate. Nebraska doesn't have one. What these state leaders should be doing (and should have been doing a long time ago) is say the bars/restaurants and other businesses can remain open with restrictions, but there is a mask mandate, and then make sure the police are being vigilant about fining people who aren't wearing them.

Enforcement is a problem. There's a statewide mandate in MN but leave the cities and you would never know that. I was in Omaha last month and was told there's a mandate. Could have fooled me. There's fines and citations written into the MN mandate but I've had officers tell me point blank that they'd never issue one. So it all comes back to businesses and the population to enforce this whole thing and we know exactly how well that works on a grand scale.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Enforcement is a problem. There's a statewide mandate in MN but leave the cities and you would never know that. I was in Omaha last month and was told there's a mandate. Could have fooled me. There's fines and citations written into the MN mandate but I've had officers tell me point blank that they'd never issue one. So it all comes back to businesses and the population to enforce this whole thing and we know exactly how well that works on a grand scale.

The people at the one store I go to in Omaha are starting to get lazy about it too, e.g. wearing the mask around their neck. I think not wearing a mask should carry the same penalty as speeding and tickets should be given for it at least as often. I see these as similar. If you speed you are endangering someone else's life and also your own.

With the prospect that a coronavirus vaccine will become available for emergency use as soon as next month, states and cities are warning that distributing the shots to an anxious public could be hindered by inadequate technology, severe funding shortfalls and a lack of trained personnel.

While the Trump administration has showered billions of dollars on the companies developing the vaccines, it has left the logistics of inoculating and tracking as many as 20 million people by year’s end — and many tens of millions more next year — largely to local governments without providing enough money, officials in several localities and public health experts involved in the preparations said in interviews.

--

“We absolutely do not have enough to pull this off successfully,” said Dr. Thomas E. Dobbs III, the state health officer of Mississippi. “This is going to be a phenomenal logistical feat, to vaccinate everybody in the country. We absolutely have zero margin for failure. We really have to get this right.”

Health departments have asked Congress for at least $8.4 billion more for “a timely, comprehensive, and equitable vaccine distribution campaign”; the C.D.C. director, Dr. Robert R. Redfield, has said that at least $6 billion is needed. But negotiations for further funding are caught up in the stalemate between House Democrats and the Trump administration over the coronavirus stimulus bill.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/14/health/covid-vaccine-distribution-plans.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

• Thanks 1

I'll tell you what. I would be willing to cut the trump Administration the eensiest bit of slack if they, in the waning days of their time, orchestrated a logistical feat of awesomeness by distributing and tracking the first wave of inoculations.

It's a legacy thing. Think about it.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, mrandyk said:

This is all true. I'd still rather have a mandate not getting enforced than no mandate. Strong leadership setting an example is better than some lame drivel about not infringing on personal freedoms. 

Of course we probably wind up with what we're seeing in MN or Omaha anyway but if a mandate gets even a few more people's heads out of the sand it would still be beneficial.

57 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

This is all true. I'd still rather have a mandate not getting enforced than no mandate. Strong leadership setting an example is better than some lame drivel about not infringing on personal freedoms. 

Of course we probably wind up with what we're seeing in MN or Omaha anyway but if a mandate gets even a few more people's heads out of the sand it would still be beneficial.

I don't understand why people think a mandate is difficult to enforce. Colorado informed businesses that they'd be shutdown if they didn't enforce the mask mandate within their business. A round of warnings were given out back in March and that pretty much took care of it.

6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I don't understand why people think a mandate is difficult to enforce. Colorado informed businesses that they'd be shutdown if they didn't enforce the mask mandate within their business. A round of warnings were given out back in March and that pretty much took care of it.

And Fort Collins police openly admitted they weren’t going to reprimand individuals disobeying the mandate. My issue is that the onus is being put entirely on businesses to mandate masks in their premises. Law enforcement should be supporting these businesses more and helping to enforce restrictions. 

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The people at the one store I go to in Omaha are starting to get lazy about it too, e.g. wearing the mask around their neck. I think not wearing a mask should carry the same penalty as speeding and tickets should be given for it at least as often. I see these as similar. If you speed you are endangering someone else's life and also your own.

Sure...but you speed all the time, don't you?

Schools here in Omaha starting to talk about closing down.

I think most are tying to make it to the end of the semester but right now the little kids schools are the issue.  We are talking 10-15% of the student body of these K-5 and 6-8 and K-8 schools being out each day.  

Get ready for a lock down and get ready for some Uncle Joe Cash!