The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

8 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

No shade. I pointed out the headline didn't tell the whole story.

Headlines never tell the whole story. That’s why you need to read the article below them.

What about the headline was so wrong that you needed to set the record straight? 

You listed 5 things as alternate or contributing reasons. Let’s look at those.

Bad Timing- because there is a Covid surge.

ICU staffing-again due to Covid.

Unvaccinated folks- because some can’t be vaxxed but moreso because so many are stupid and easily duped by misinformation.

Delta variant- because not enough people got vaxxed quickly enough.

RSV-Symptoms are almost identical to Covid. Can make you more susceptible to Covid.

I’m still confused what about the headline or story needed corrected.

40 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Headlines never tell the whole story. That’s why you need to read the article below them.

What about the headline was so wrong that you needed to set the record straight? 

Unvaccinated folks- because some can’t be vaxxed but moreso because so many are stupid and easily duped by misinformation.

RSV-Symptoms are almost identical to Covid. Can make you more susceptible to Covid.

The headline indicated that children will have to wait for another child to die before getting a hospital bed. That is not because of the extreme number of pediatric Covid patients. That's hyperbole. 

The bad timing is due to many different variables, not just an increase in Covid cases. 

There are ICU beds available, but no staff. There is no staff because there is not enough nurses. There is a nursing shortage, but not because (directly) of Covid. Also, there are ward beds available, which were converted to ICU back in 2020, but have not been as of yet this summer.

Regardless of the reason, there are about 35% of folks that aren't vaccinated. 

Delta variant surge happened elsewhere, all over the world, not just in the red states. Delta would have caused increased numbers regardless of the speed in which folks got the shot...which was faster here than just about everywhere else. 

RSV is "almost identical" to Covid, and needs to be treated with breathing treatments...but it is not Covid. A large amount of RSV patients take beds that could be used by actual Covid patients. 

I am still confused why you are so concerned that I have a different view than you do...because that is basically what your angnst boils down to. 

And, I saw your comment in the shed, but chose not to reply.

"Kind of tired of our small handful of HB posters who feel obligated to nitpick every piece of Covid bad news and intimate that, whatever it is, it’s not entirely due to Covid." "they are in fact Covid deniers and/or anti-vaxxers. But it’s confusing because they claim not to be…..at the same time they continue to deny and excuse the unvaccinated.  Its a real conundrum. Embarrassed enough to not admit it but believe it strongly enough to keep spouting crap."

The thing about Internet chat boards...you have no idea who does or is what. You are just sanctimonious enough to think that because posters don't kowtow to your beliefs, that they need to Wake up, wise up and grow the f#&% up. You’re part of the problem. At the very least, keep your misguided and unhelpful comments to yourself.

I am not a denier, nor do I excuse the unvaccinated. But I don't feel the need to belittle anyone at every turn either.  I have been vaccinated since the first of the year thank-you very much, in fact my entire family is vaccinated. I will get a booster 3rd dose the minute it is available. I believe in the science, but I, for one, will continue to comment on what, and from what viewpoint I see fit. Thanks for your concern. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
33 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

The headline indicated that children will have to wait for another child to die before getting a hospital bed. That is not because of the extreme number of pediatric Covid patients. That's hyperbole. 

The bad timing is due to many different variables, not just an increase in Covid cases. 

There are ICU beds available, but no staff. There is no staff because there is not enough nurses. There is a nursing shortage, but not because (directly) of Covid. Also, there are ward beds available, which were converted to ICU back in 2020, but have not been as of yet this summer.

Delta variant surge happened elsewhere, all over the world, not just in the red states. Delta would have caused increased numbers regardless of the speed in which folks got the shot...which was faster here than just about everywhere else. 

RSV is "almost identical" to Covid, and needs to be treated with breathing treatments...but it is not Covid. A large amount of RSV patients take beds that could be used by actual Covid patients. 

I am still confused why you are so concerned that I have a different view than you do...because that is basically what your angnst boils down to. 

"Kind of tired of our small handful of HB posters who feel obligated to nitpick every piece of Covid bad news and intimate that, whatever it is, it’s not entirely due to Covid." "they are in fact Covid deniers and/or anti-vaxxers. But it’s confusing because they claim not to be…..at the same time they continue to deny and excuse the unvaccinated.  Its a real conundrum. Embarrassed enough to not admit it but believe it strongly enough to keep spouting crap."

The thing about Internet chat boards...you have no idea who does or is what. You are just sanctimonious enough to think that because posters don't kowtow to your beliefs, that they need to Wake up, wise up and grow the f#&% up. You’re part of the problem. At the very least, keep your misguided and unhelpful comments to yourself.

I am not a denier, nor do I excuse the unvaccinated. But I don't feel the need to belittle anyone at every turn either.  I have been vaccinated since the first of the year thank-you very much, in fact my entire family is vaccinated. I will get a booster 3rd dose the minute it is available. I believe in the science, but I, for one, will continue to comment on what, and from what viewpoint I see fit. Thanks for your concern. 

Well said.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Being totally honest, my comment in the shed was not intended for you. I was afraid you would take it that way. I have been questioning you directly because I felt I could get a reasonable answer from you (which you just provided). It’s not that we have opinions that differ necessarily, I was just really confused why you felt that article or headline deserved questioning.  I don’t even bother trying to engage with the people who that shed post was was intended for.

54 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Being totally honest, my comment in the shed was not intended for you. I was afraid you would take it that way. I have been questioning you directly because I felt I could get a reasonable answer from you (which you just provided). It’s not that we have opinions that differ necessarily, I was just really confused why you felt that article or headline deserved questioning.  I don’t even bother trying to engage with the people who that shed post was was intended for.

:cheers

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

An efficient government response? I haven't seen one of those in awhile. 

Efficiency is a lot easier to accomplish when the entire Country has half the population of Los Angeles County. But yes, I agree, she certainly seems to an efficient and empathetic leader. Again, we haven't seen one of those for a while. 

I hope we don't try that again here though. 

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Headline reading is dangerous. I read an article the other day that was titled "Unvaccinated 30-39 yr olds reach highest level of hospitalization since pandemic began"  If you read the article it states that the number is up from 2 per 100k positive tests in that age group to 2.5 per 100k positive tests were requiring hospitalization. Though it is true that the number increased we are talking about less than 3 people in this age group per every 100k positive tests in this age group.  

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

An efficient government response? I haven't seen one of those in awhile. 

I heard NZ is only 18% vaccinated. Is that real? They pretty much dodged COVID round one with lockdowns, but if that vax rate is real and delta gets there, it will be bad.

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Efficiency is a lot easier to accomplish when the entire Country has half the population of Los Angeles County. But yes, I agree, she certainly seems to an efficient and empathetic leader. Again, we haven't seen one of those for a while. 

I hope we don't try that again here though. 

I would venture to guess that population density, demographics, and other factors plays a bigger part than just total number of people in a grouping.

Example:

State                       One Shot  Fully Vaccinated   Population

Massachusetts

74%

65%

Maine

70%

65%

Georgia

49%

40%

West Virginia

47%

39%

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

Edited by deedsker
linky link
36 minutes ago, deedsker said:

I would venture to guess that population density, demographics, and other factors plays a bigger part than just total number of people in a grouping.

Example:

State                       One Shot  Fully Vaccinated   Population

Massachusetts

74%

65%

Maine

70%

65%

Georgia

49%

40%

West Virginia

47%

39%

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

Good point. Lots of variables involved. Including total population.