The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

When I got my second vaccination in April, I told the volunteer I would now laminate my card, like my friends were doing. She recommended against it, mentioning the likelihood of boosters shots and pointing out the cards had already left room for two more.  

It's not like coronavirus booster shots are a new twist. 

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

From the very beginning the global research showed very little infection among school age children and hardly any transmissions traced to school interaction. This information was not withheld, and was used to keep schools open in many areas.

Other districts went with an abundance of caution with either closings or masks because you know....they're responsible for children, and even one death would be catastrophic on a local level. But the extreme measures were pushed largely by teachers and staff, who didn't enjoy the natural protection kids seemed to have. In our super liberal district, the administration had to strong arm the teachers back to school, and placate them with the full gamut of protocols.  

This NYM article from May is pretty solid, but it does consider both sides of the argument and the difficulty of any policy making, and it came out prior to the Delta Surge, which appears to be hitting school age kids much harder than the earlier virus. Obviously it's possible that masks showed no clear benefit when the population in question wasn't infectious to begin with. 

It's an interesting discussion and I'm glad you're posting this in that spirit and not simply trolling for anything that casts mandates in doubt. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

When I got my second vaccination in April, I told the volunteer I would now laminate my card, like my friends were doing. She recommended against it, mentioning the likelihood of boosters shots and pointing out the cards had already left room for two more.  

It's not like coronavirus booster shots are a new twist. 

You have your own laminator?  

#RichGuy

54 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

H2No!!!

59 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's an interesting discussion and I'm glad you're posting this in that spirit and not simply trolling for anything that casts mandates in doubt. 

Thank you.  I’m glad you understand why I posted it.

to be clear on my mandate thoughts, As I posted earlier, I’m against statewide mandates and statewide anti mandates.  Any mandate should be as local and limited as possible.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
58 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Pssst!  If you don't want to show your hand, link directly to the New York Magazine article, not Byron York's Tweet. 

Other things on Byron York's Twitter agenda? Celebrating Matt Gaetz's wedding. 

Pssst!  I don’t follow NYM on twitter.  And I don’t really like wearing gloves on summer so I have no choice but to show my hand.   

An article is an article.  The words don’t really change based on who shared it!  Free life lesson for you.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

to be clear on my mandate thoughts, As I posted earlier, I’m against statewide mandates and statewide anti mandates.  Any mandate should be as local and limited as possible.  

It's a good concept to be as local as possible, but issues arise when neighboring localities are in conflict over mandates. It's not like a county can issue an order preventing people from the neighboring county with high case rates from coming into the county with low case rates. Sometimes less-local mandates are a better solution.

Just now, RedDenver said:

It's a good concept to be as local as possible, but issues arise when neighboring localities are in conflict over mandates. It's not like a county can issue an order preventing people from the neighboring county with high case rates from coming into the county with low case rates. Sometimes less-local mandates are a better solution.

Those people coming in would have to abide by the county mandate:dunno

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Those people coming in would have to abide by the county mandate:dunno

If there was a 100% effective solution, then sure. But unfortunately the case rate has a huge impact on the spread of a virus, so then each county would have to figure out what mandates to implement depending on where people were coming from.

And there's the reverse situation where someone lives in a county with mandates/low case rate but works in a county with high case rates and few mandates. How does that person deal with the issue?

The problem with assuming all versions of pandemic issues can be resolved at a local level is that localities are not isolated from one another.

25 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

If there was a 100% effective solution, then sure. But unfortunately the case rate has a huge impact on the spread of a virus, so then each county would have to figure out what mandates to implement depending on where people were coming from.

And there's the reverse situation where someone lives in a county with mandates/low case rate but works in a county with high case rates and few mandates. How does that person deal with the issue?

The problem with assuming all versions of pandemic issues can be resolved at a local level is that localities are not isolated from one another.

States are not either (HA excluded) so why statewide mandates?  Most Countries are not isolated so why nationwide mandates then given your scenarios?  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

States are not either (HA excluded) so why statewide mandates?  Most Countries are not isolated so why nationwide mandates then given your scenarios?  

In the case of countries, the borders can be restricted, so that's pretty obvious. As for states (or any larger region), the larger the region, the farther people must travel to cross from one mandated region to another, which reduces these issues. But of course there's no perfect solution. As I said before, I agree that handling things at the local level is generally preferable, but sometimes solutions need to extend to bigger regions depending on the circumstances.