The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

35 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

This is actually good news, but go on.

Of course it’s good news.

I’m sure it will impact some people to get vaccinated. But I don’t personally believe a majority of current vaccine holdouts will be swayed by this announcement, and many who were using this as a defense will simply shift their goal posts to some other defense.

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Once again, and I’m surprised it still needs to be said, but zero governors have banned wearing masks or having 100% of people wear masks.   Everyone is free to mask on there own.  This won’t change no matter how many dishonest and obtuse posts there are trying to say otherwise. 

This is such a silly take.  We a get it.  Nobody has said you can't wear a mask.  But penalizing organizations who want everyone to wear a mask is in essence the same thing.  You know, I know, and everyone here knows that the result will be less than half in Florida will wear a mask and the effectiveness of masks then plummets.   But go ahead.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Of course it’s good news.

I’m sure it will impact some people to get vaccinated. But I don’t personally believe a majority of current vaccine holdouts will be swayed by this announcement, and many who were using this as a defense will simply shift their goal posts to some other defense.

Polls show 20-30% of holdouts so no it won’t be a majority.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

This is such a silly take.  We a get it.  Nobody has said you can't wear a mask.  But penalizing organizations who want everyone to wear a mask is in essence the same thing.  You know, I know, and everyone here knows that the result will be less than half in Florida will wear a mask and the effectiveness of masks then plummets.   But go ahead.

I will go ahead because it’s simply not true that governors have banned mask wearing which is the dishonest conversation people are trying to have.  If you are wanting to make the other point you are trying to make, fine.  It’s one I support.  Governors should not put in place statewide anti-mask mandates.  It should be left to local communities to decide. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1
22 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I will go ahead because it’s simply not true that governors have banned mask wearing which is the dishonest conversation people are trying to have.  If you are wanting to make the other point you are trying to make, fine.  It’s one I support.  Governors should not put in place statewide anti-mask mandates.  It should be left to local communities to decide. 

Has anyone actually said that governors have banned wearing masks?

• As DeSantis ramps up his reelection bid, the largest donation to his political committee this cycle is a $5 million contribution from Kenneth Griffin, the CEO of hedge fund Citadel, which owns $15.9 million shares in Regeneron, according to a regulatory report filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission this week.

10 minutes ago, commando said:
  • As DeSantis ramps up his reelection bid, the largest donation to his political committee this cycle is a $5 million contribution from Kenneth Griffin, the CEO of hedge fund Citadel, which owns $15.9 million shares in Regeneron, according to a regulatory report filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission this week.

Oops…a $30 billion fund with such a small stake in a company:dunno  Since your making these claims, check out two things, if Griffin donated to Biden and Blackrock’s stake in Regeneron.  You know the stake that dwarfs Citadel.  You know the Blackrock that has employees with millions going into the Biden campaign.  Now you see how silly you sound with your DeSantis claim.  

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/aug/19/democratic-underground/firm-led-top-donor-fla-gov-ron-desantis-donor-isnt/

Griffin is a major campaign donor to DeSantis, but his firm is only a small investor in Regeneron, and one of more than a thousand institutions with a stake in the company. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
5 hours ago, nic said:

A nurse here in Douglas County said 3 teenagers were admitted to the hospital this week for serious reactions to the vaccine. She didn’t  know if it was the first or second shot. According to the data I have seen/heard, the rate should be 70 per 1 million. I would guess no more than a few thousand teens (maybe less) got shots in the last few weeks. I can’t be sure of the number. I am Wondering if this is an anomaly, or the rates are off, but it’s probably a reasonable sample size.

I know two nurses who say to get the vaccine. My brother and sister. And I didnt have any adverse reactions, so thats my anecdotal evidence for the day. The moral of the story is to get vaccinated!

• Plus1 1