The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

7 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Kind of a click bait article

Vaccinated people infected with the virus are much less likely to need to go to the hospital, much less likely to need intubation and much less likely to die from the illness. There’s no doubt that vaccines provide significant protection. But a large proportion of the nation -- almost 30% of U.S. adults -- have not been vaccinated, a fact that has conspired with the highly contagious delta variant to push the country into a new wave of outbreaks. 

“The big picture here is that the vaccines are working and the reason for the spike in the U.S. is we have too little vaccine uptake,” Frieden said. 

To a certain extent, breakthrough cases of any virus are expected. In clinical trials, no Covid vaccine was 100% effective -- even the best vaccines never are. The more the virus is in circulation, the greater the risk of breakthrough cases. It’s also common for some aspects of viral immunity to naturally wane over time.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

A nurse here in Douglas County said 3 teenagers were admitted to the hospital this week for serious reactions to the vaccine. She didn’t  know if it was the first or second shot. According to the data I have seen/heard, the rate should be 70 per 1 million. I would guess no more than a few thousand teens (maybe less) got shots in the last few weeks. I can’t be sure of the number. I am Wondering if this is an anomaly, or the rates are off, but it’s probably a reasonable sample size.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, nic said:

A nurse here in Douglas County said 3 teenagers were admitted to the hospital this week for serious reactions to the vaccine. She didn’t  know if it was the first or second shot. According to the data I have seen/heard, the rate should be 70 per 1 million. I would guess no more than a few thousand teens (maybe less) got shots in the last few weeks. I can’t be sure of the number. I am Wondering if this is an anomaly, or the rates are off, but it’s probably a reasonable sample size.

Honestly, I would have to see a study concerning vaccine side effects rather than trusting anecdotal evidence from a nurse - who hold extremely high rates of anti-mask/anti-vax sentiment. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
53 minutes ago, nic said:

I'd need more info. Do they know it was sure an adverse reaction to the Vaccine? Do they have allergic reactions to any other vaccines? What does "serious" mean, did they need a dose of epi and that did the trick? Did they break a fever over 99 and have chills and a parent freaked out? Did they throw a clot? 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

I think that's probably way too little to go off of overall. Pfizer announced positive topline results of their vaccine study in adolescents all the way back in March and that was on phase 3 trials. Teenagers have been getting vaccinated for months now, either via trials or actual inoculations, and the results have been overwhelmingly positive. Statistically speaking, it is certainly possible (though unlikely) that adverse reactions could be experienced in a small geographical cluster. But, then you'd have to know about those teens' individual health needs and medical situations, as well.

And no offense intended to this nurse, but @Dr. Strangelove brings up a good point. With a large minority of nurses being anti-mask and anti-vaccine, I think we'd also need to know the source's veracity.

• Plus1 2