The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The reality is that the 400 richest Americans have $2.96 trillion in wealth.

Even taxing all of them at 50% for wealth above $1 billion, the "poorest" of them would still be worth $1.55 billion and the richest $57.5 billion. That would net $1.28 trillion in tax revenue, which is enough to pay every American $3878.

If we instead took drastic measures and taxed all of them at 100% for wealth above $1 billion, all of them would still be billionaires (but not multi-billionaires). That would net $2.56 trillion in tax revenue, which is enough to pay every American $7757.

And that's just 400 Americans compared to 330 million Americans.

It's important to note that that was in no way a serious recommendation.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I know, but I wanted to know some of the real numbers, so I shared.

During the death throes of the Roman Republic, Sulla (I believe) did such a thing. But Sulla was a monster, and we certainly don't need to be emulating that era of Roman history.

@ActualCornHusker

This would not affect those and we would need to come to some type of an agreement with them.  This also wouldn't cost the feds anything.  It comes down from the feds that all banking functions as far as loans and interest paid out to savings accounts basically are frozen for a specific time frame.  3 months?  6 months?

If this were put in place, we would be asking our suppliers to suspend what we owe them till we start operating again.  If they accept that, I would then turn to my customers and tell them their amounts they owe us are suspended till operations start again.

But, this needs to start at the banking level.  For most businesses, that is the largest creditor and the least flexible one.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

@ActualCornHusker

This would not affect those and we would need to come to some type of an agreement with them.  This also wouldn't cost the feds anything.  It comes down from the feds that all banking functions as far as loans and interest paid out to savings accounts basically are frozen for a specific time frame.  3 months?  6 months?

If this were put in place, we would be asking our suppliers to suspend what we owe them till we start operating again.  If they accept that, I would then turn to my customers and tell them their amounts they owe us are suspended till operations start again.

But, this needs to start at the banking level.  For most businesses, that is the largest creditor and the least flexible one.

Fair enough. My businesses' structure is much different than yours I'm sure. 

19 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I wonder if Mnuchin has anything to backup his claim that unemployment could hit 20% or if he's just saying things. Nothing I've seen has it anywhere near that, although I can see it getting dire.

I definitely can see 20% or more depending on how the next 30 days go and the decisions the dear leaders make. 

Or, let’s pray this is nothing more than a blip on the radar that we are all drinking a beer 3 years from now saying....WTF?