Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

It seems to me the burden of proof rests on those imposing the shutdowns and travel and association restrictions to provide strong evidence that businesses being closed and employees under stay at home orders are actually safer as a result.  Further, that “essential” businesses and organizations and their employees and patronage are somehow less dangerous than their non-essential counterparts.  

So far, the definitipns and rules are about as diverse as the people involved - inconsistent and vague and ever changing as imaginable.

These laws, edicts, regulations, orders or whatever other names given are nearly all clear infringements on many of the inalienable rights of the Bill of Rights.  Even temporary violations of fundamental civil rights are patently unconstitutional.  

Many individual liberties have been trampled upon in the name of health, safety, justice, fairness and so on for centuries.  No matter what the justification offered, it is still unlawful and must be stopped.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Toe said:

Please, it's not just the number of younger people killed that needs to be considered, here. This is not just an 'either you die or you don't' thing.

wGO29WK.png

Great post and even this leaves out some complications. There is so much we don't know. Infants with COVID antibodies are now coming down with a condition similar to kawasaki disease. Whats causing COVID toes? So much we don't know about the long term effects. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

No matter what the justification offered, it is still unlawful and must be stopped.  

I’m no law expert, but I’m under the impression that governor imposed restrictions in the the setting of a pandemic or other emergency are within the law.  Not saying I agree with everything being done.   Just looking for clarification.  

Also, while are Constitution is a great thing, isn’t it true that none of it’s guarantees are “absolute”?  Not trying to play devil’s advocate here, but the whole “my rights are being trampled upon “ argument in the current situation seems weak to me. 

Just my opinions.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
8 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I’m no law expert, but I’m under the impression that governor imposed restrictions in the the setting of a pandemic or other emergency are within the law.  Not saying I agree with everything being done.   Just looking for clarification.  

Also, while are Constitution is a great thing, isn’t it true that none of it’s guarantees are “absolute”?  Not trying to play devil’s advocate here, but the whole “my rights are being trampled upon “ argument in the current situation seems weak to me. 

Just my opinions.  

Freedom comes with duties and responsibilities 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Some governors have taken it too far.  I agree completely with the initial response in most areas but there has been extensive over reach that has already been proven to be unconstitutional in some states.   I am guessing that we haven't seen anywhere near the end of the lawsuits.  How football plays into everything remains to be seen but my money is on them having a season across most areas of the country.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Risking death and long term health just so people can watch some football. Sounds about right 

I guess we should have known considering how little people care about CTE

At what point does society say we can’t live in fear? The sales pitch was hey let’s do our part and social distance to flatten the curve so hospitals don’t get overloaded. When did the narrative change to we need to try to not have anyone get sick? So do you believe every new unknown disease we should shut down the countries and world economies and live a life of fear? Do the 60,000 who die from the flu not concern you? Should we shut down the economy every fall/winter to save those lives? Or are flu deaths ok? My guess is once the election is over the media will stop talking about coronavirus and find something else to lead the masses into hysteria 

CTE, this is a free country and if players choose as a free person to play knowing the risk then that’s their choice. We will all watch football. Do you propose football should be no more to remove freedom of choice to prevent CTE? 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

At what point does society say we can’t live in fear? The sales pitch was hey let’s do our part and social distance to flatten the curve so hospitals don’t get overloaded. When did the narrative change to we need to try to not have anyone get sick? So do you believe every new unknown disease we should shut down the countries and world economies and live a life of fear? Do the 60,000 who die from the flu not concern you? Should we shut down the economy every fall/winter to save those lives? Or are flu deaths ok? My guess is once the election is over the media will stop talking about coronavirus and find something else to lead the masses into hysteria 

CTE, this is a free country and if players choose as a free person to play knowing the risk then that’s their choice. We will all watch football. Do you propose football should be no more to remove freedom of choice to prevent CTE? 

This isn't a political forum so I will try my best to keep it brief. Football is a completely unnecessary luxury. 60k people have died in a single month, with all of the restrictions in place to prevent spread and deaths. People are suffering strange and potentially lifelong complications. This is in no way the flu, or like any disease we have seen in 100 years that has been spread at this scale. Realistically, football can and in my opinion should be the last thing we worry about bringing back. Until we have this under control, it shouldn't even be considered.

We are facing an event unlike nearly everyone alive has seen in their lifetime. But an event that does happen with some regularity and reliability. If you look at history, these events tend to happen once a century. If you learn from history, you know that these things we are doing in a time of emergency are completely necessary not only for the lives of our people, but the wellbeing of our nation as a whole.

When did we get so impatient? When did we lose our resolve? People have been such big babies about this imo. Nearly 100,000 people have died in America thus far and people literally cry about not being able to go to the nail salon. Its ridiculous.

This isn't a hoax or a political hit job, it is a public health crisis unlike any we have seen in a century and it should be treated as such. Lessons from 1918 have not been learned though. You can literally see the exact same pattern playing out. Some areas didn't believe it was a big deal. They wanted to get back to their lives. And those areas were devastated by the second wave both in lives lost and economically. We need to learn from history and do our best to make improvements, but sadly it seems as if we haven't. 

Edit: and your attitude towards CTE really speaks for itself. If that's how you feel more power to you 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

This isn't a political forum so I will try my best to keep it brief. Football is a completely unnecessary luxury. 60k people have died in a single month, with all of the restrictions in place to prevent spread and deaths. People are suffering strange and potentially lifelong complications. This is in no way the flu, or like any disease we have seen in 100 years that has been spread at this scale. Realistically, football can and in my opinion should be the last thing we worry about bringing back. Until we have this under control, it shouldn't even be considered.

We are facing an event unlike nearly everyone alive has seen in their lifetime. But an event that does happen with some regularity and reliability. If you look at history, these events tend to happen once a century. If you learn from history, you know that these things we are doing in a time of emergency are completely necessary not only for the lives of our people, but the wellbeing of our nation as a whole.

When did we get so impatient? When did we lose our resolve? People have been such big babies about this imo. Nearly 100,000 people have died in America thus far and people literally cry about not being able to go to the nail salon. Its ridiculous.

This isn't a hoax or a political hit job, it is a public health crisis unlike any we have seen in a century and it should be treated as such. Lessons from 1918 have not been learned though. You can literally see the exact same pattern playing out. Some areas didn't believe it was a big deal. They wanted to get back to their lives. And those areas were devastated by the second wave both in lives lost and economically. We need to learn from history and do our best to make improvements, but sadly it seems as if we haven't. 

Edit: and your attitude towards CTE really speaks for itself. If that's how you feel more power to you 

Do you think football should get eliminated because of CTE?