Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Oh no, it is a legit thing but I think they have been using that island for years for "unclaimed' dead.  

This is correct.  It sounds like there are also COVID victims being buried there now.  What I read was unclear whether they are also "unclaimed" or if they have expanded the usage.

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is correct.  It sounds like there are also COVID victims being buried there now.  What I read was unclear whether they are also "unclaimed" or if they have expanded the usage.

Not sure either...I think the headline is a bit of the "Check this out" thing but that is what headlines are supposed to do so it worked.

11 hours ago, teachercd said:

Oh no, it is a legit thing but I think they have been using that island for years for "unclaimed' dead.  

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yes, this is what I read, as well.

This is one of those stories that I lament seeing when I know a lot of people are only reading the headline and then immediately reacting. From what I've read, this island was in use long before the coronavirus as a place to bury a) those whose families couldn't afford a funeral or b) unclaimed remains. The number of people being buried there has spiked considerably, but the 'mass grave', so to speak, has been existence for some time.

15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This is one of those stories that I lament seeing when I know a lot of people are only reading the headline and then immediately reacting. From what I've read, this island was in use long before the coronavirus as a place to bury a) those whose families couldn't afford a funeral or b) unclaimed remains. The number of people being buried there has spiked considerably, but the 'mass grave', so to speak, has been existence for some time.

i've read that they average 25 per week before corona.   about 25 a day now.  there were 40 coffins the day this was filmed.

15 hours ago, Enhance said:

I know the island was used for unclaimed dead.  But, I've never read that they were buried in mass graves.  I'm pretty sure the mass graves are something new with the pandemic.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm pretty sure the mass graves are something new with the pandemic.

That may be true (I honestly don't know). The only other relevant detail I had read was what @commando said - sounds like they were placing about 25 people per week into graves prior to the coronavirus. Now, it's about 25/day. My assumption was they were still grouping the deceased en masse prior to the coronavirus just to maximize space, but the actual 'mass grave' element may be new.