Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

OK, I've watched this about 4 times.  It absolutely baffles me when I see or hear people not taking this seriously.  Look at this and then think about how the entire world didn't do anything close to the self quarantining that we are doing for COVID-19.  And, it still blows away every other disease.  Just think how devastating it would be if it was just allowed to run its course like some idiots think we should do.

Pair this with the clip of all the Fox News idiots and it's unbelievable.  

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK, I've watched this about 4 times.  It absolutely baffles me when I see or hear people not taking this seriously.  Look at this and then think about how the entire world didn't do anything close to the self quarantining that we are doing for COVID-19.  And, it still blows away every other disease.  Just think how devastating it would be if it was just allowed to run its course like some idiots think we should do.

And I'm seeing friends say they just want to end isolation and roll the dice with this thing.  Craaaaaaaazzzzzzzyyyyyy.

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And I'm seeing friends say they just want to end isolation and roll the dice with this thing.  Craaaaaaaazzzzzzzyyyyyy.

What I get so sick and tired of is if you even mention that it's a serious situation to them, their immediate reaction is..."OMG...stop freaking out!!!!"  Nobody is f#&%ing freaking out just because we are pointing out the obviously prudent path to take.

• Plus1 2

60f68e538ce059b50516e472a6f29ebd.jpg?ixl

Army field hospital for Covid-19 surge leaves Seattle after 9 days. It never saw a patient
APR 08, 2020 at 1:05 PM   By Liz Brazile    

The 250-bed facility, for which setup began on March 30, was intended to help Washington state's health care system tend to non Covid-19 patients in the event of a hospital surge.  But just three days after announcing the facility was ready to receive patients, officials say they're returning the hospital to the federal government.

The action is aimed at helping another state with a more significant need for hospital capacity at this time, according to the Governor's Office. The facility did not see any patients during the time it was slated to operate in Seattle.  LINK

==============================================================  

WTF??

16 minutes ago, NUance said:

60f68e538ce059b50516e472a6f29ebd.jpg?ixl

Army field hospital for Covid-19 surge leaves Seattle after 9 days. It never saw a patient
APR 08, 2020 at 1:05 PM   By Liz Brazile    

The 250-bed facility, for which setup began on March 30, was intended to help Washington state's health care system tend to non Covid-19 patients in the event of a hospital surge.  But just three days after announcing the facility was ready to receive patients, officials say they're returning the hospital to the federal government.

The action is aimed at helping another state with a more significant need for hospital capacity at this time, according to the Governor's Office. The facility did not see any patients during the time it was slated to operate in Seattle.  LINK

==============================================================  

WTF??

Washington state managed to dramatically flatten the curve, so the projections ended up not being anywhere near as bad as they could have been. And the lack of testing led to missing that the real epicenter in the US was NY and NJ.

From the WHO daily briefing:

CORONAVIRUS NOT LIKELY TO BE SEASONAL Preliminary analysis by experts at the US National Academy of Sciences suggests that COVID-19 may not exhibit strong seasonality. The study evaluated available observational epidemiological data as well as laboratory experimental data, including studies both in China and other countries. The researchers did not find strong evidence that the pandemic will wane in summer months as due temperature and humidity increase; however, they note that their findings are based on limited preliminary data—some of which is of questionable quality—and that further study is required to better characterize the virus’ transmission patterns. While some data, particularly from laboratory studies, provide evidence supporting seasonality, the researchers note that these are not necessarily representative of the natural environment and that multiple countries currently in their summer season are experiencing significant volume of transmission. Additionally, the researchers cite the global susceptibility to the virus as another major driver of continued global transmission over the coming months.

18 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think people are more scared of Ebola because the symptoms are less familiar and grosser sounding.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:27 PM, Moiraine said:

Each time they adjust the model they take new social distancing measures into account on the state level. Projections change as they receive more data and adjust based on new social distancing measures. Things have changed drastically since mid March in many states. You are also making a big assumption that when they apply the models they are creating don't take population density into account. Using Italy/NY to create the models doesn't mean they can't bring in other relevant information.

Do you understand confidence intervals?

Ha!  Well, yeah!