Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Well to be rather blunt.. I know that I'm far from intelligent. (Thankfully we have spell check :ohnoes)

Still, even though I know I don't know.. I simply don't trust the government nor do I trust today's journalist. Heck, for the most part, I don't trust myself... (yes, because I know I'm an idiot). However, I've spoken with the 3 persons in my life that are in the medical field and all three have said virtually the same thing. Yes the virus is real, yes the virus has dire consequences, no you "do not want to catch it" but in the hospitals they work (1 in omaha, 1 in St. Paul MN and the other in Phoenix (well, mesa) most of the staff doesn't consider this a pandemic. In fact, all 3 have said they fully support the social distancing but advised me to not believe the fear mongering that's occurring. The MN nurse works the icu and actually stated she's bored beyond belief. The AZ nurse is down to only working 2 shifts per week and texted me last night to say she may be in Omaha this weekend if they drop her to 1 shift per week.

Redux?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Well to be rather blunt.. I know that I'm far from intelligent. (Thankfully we have spell check :ohnoes)

Still, even though I know I don't know.. I simply don't trust the government nor do I trust today's journalist. Heck, for the most part, I don't trust myself... (yes, because I know I'm an idiot). However, I've spoken with the 3 persons in my life that are in the medical field and all three have said virtually the same thing. Yes the virus is real, yes the virus has dire consequences, no you "do not want to catch it" but in the hospitals they work (1 in omaha, 1 in St. Paul MN and the other in Phoenix (well, mesa) most of the staff doesn't consider this a pandemic. In fact, all 3 have said they fully support the social distancing but advised me to not believe the fear mongering that's occurring. The MN nurse works the icu and actually stated she's bored beyond belief. The AZ nurse is down to only working 2 shifts per week and texted me last night to say she may be in Omaha this weekend if they drop her to 1 shift per week.

My wife and I are both healthcare workers in Omaha. You're not entirely wrong. It is a pandemic based on how many countries it is in. Yes hospitals here have many open beds due to the cancelling of elective cases - we are extremely lucky - we saw what hit Seattle and NYC and could react, begin social distancing and open up beds. Without these measures our hospitals could look like NYC, and trust me we don't want that. Don't confuse effective protective measures as overplaying the virus. 

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

My wife and I are both healthcare workers in Omaha. You're not entirely wrong. It is a pandemic based on how many countries it is in. Yes hospitals here have many open beds due to the cancelling of elective cases - we are extremely lucky - we saw what hit Seattle and NYC and could react, begin social distancing and open up beds. Without these measures our hospitals could look like NYC, and trust me we don't want that. Don't confuse effective protective measures as overplaying the virus. 

@FrantzHardySwag has the hospital(s) you and your wife work at reduce staff or reduced staff hours? I get the open beds readiness necessity. I get the virus is real. I just don't get why our news has to be so gloom and doom. Positive things are still occurring. Take out Tuesday should be the headline today. Media should step away softly. Meaning.. Start and end with the necessity and benefit of social distancing and let the "local" governments release the news and updates on the virus. Just tired of all the Gloom.

19 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

I know that I'm far from intelligent.

19 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

(yes, because I know I'm an idiot)

10 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Didn't you read.. I'm an idiot. :) Seriously, I'm rather dense

For starters, you need to knock it off with all of the self-loathing.

Smalley GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 5

Just now, Loebarth said:

@FrantzHardySwag has the hospital(s) you and your wife work at reduce staff or reduced staff hours? I get the open beds readiness necessity. I get the virus is real. I just don't get why our news has to be so gloom and doom. Positive things are still occurring. Take out Tuesday should be the headline today. Media should step away softly. Meaning.. Start and end with the necessity and benefit of social distancing and let the "local" governments release the news and updates on the virus. Just tired of all the Gloom.

Yes, staff hours reduced 25-50%. There is certainly good news out there, I'm hopeful for antibody testing, increased virus testing, effective treatment plans, increased social distancing, increased mask wearing - we could get back to some of life's pleasures in the coming months. But unfortunately some people needed to be scared into following CDC guidelines. Hospital overload is the single scariest thing about this virus. We can handle the flattened curve, we can't handle the unflattened peak. 

6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah but what's their football team gonna look like this season?

:P

If Pitt's COVID vaccine comes to fruition, I would be content give them a birth in the championship game.

Rutgers is high on the list of their opponents with their saliva test.  Maybe they can face off with someone creating and an antibody test.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Red Five said:

If Pitt's COVID vaccine comes to fruition, I would be content give them a birth in the championship game.

Rutgers is high on the list of their opponents with their saliva test.  Maybe they can face off with someone creating and an antibody test.

...the new BCS method. I like it.