Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

3 minutes ago, internetman said:

Anyone else find it funny people are more pissed at the Big10 commissioner than the government leaders who have done little to nothing to try and stop the pandemic? I mean we're on month 5 of this with no end in sight?  

Some of you guys are dropping into this thread for the first time lately here. We've already hashed out and argued a ton in this thread about politics and what the best policy extrapolations are based on stats & metrics.

So, most of us are kind of tired of that. Preferably you'll take comments like the ones you're making over to the COVID thread in the Politics & Relition sub.

In regards to your question: This thread is about whether or not there would be college football so of course there are people talking about being upset at the commissioner and nobody said people are more upset at him than government mismanagement, etc.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, internetman said:

Anyone else find it funny people are more pissed at the Big10 commissioner than the government leaders who have done little to nothing to try and stop the pandemic? I mean we're on month 5 of this with no end in sight?  

No, government intervention hasn't worked in any country in the world to stop this virus (except for North Korea, reportedly). That said, the Big Ten was disingenuous in even suggesting a season was possible last week when nothing of note has changed in the past six days. It's a big fear of the unknown issue. It is a sorry way to go through life if fear of the unknown consumes a person as there are many unknowns in everyday life.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Some of you guys are dropping into this thread for the first time lately here. We've already hashed out and argued a ton in this thread about politics and what the best policy extrapolations are based on stats & metrics.

So, most of us are kind of tired of that. Preferably you'll take comments like the ones you're making over to the COVID thread in the Politics & Relition sub.

In regards to your question: This thread is about whether or not there would be college football so of course there are people talking about being upset at the commissioner and nobody said people are more upset at him than government mismanagement, etc.

I apologize. I will take this to the politics forum. 

2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

That's fair, they are students first. But doesn't that make the decision to separate school and athletics so weird? Sit in a classroom, sit in a lecture hall, eat in a dining hall, and sleep in a dorm in close proximity to other students - but athletics is a no go. This whole thing would make more sense if in person learning was cancelled. If you are going to allow students to assess their own risk on in person learning, you should allow the students to assess their own risk on participating in athletics. 

This is a big part of the hypocrisy in all this.  

• Thanks 2

It is interesting because there are so many legal questions about who has the ability to shut down what.  Is it fair for the president of Rutgers, for instance, to vote to shut down a huge portion of the economy in Nebraska when Nebraska has done everything very well to come up with a plan and protections, etc for the state, the city and the team?  Supreme court level stuff brewing imo.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Nebraska to the Big South!

If the above about the B1G being worried about some schools and not others is true then they need to give schools the discretion to go on their own. Make the school assume all the risk of the season, but let each school make its own choice to lay or not. Let's not pretend a spring season is happening there's just no way unless the entire NCAA moves.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Depends on what your definition of "extremely low" is.

The U.S. has now lost more people to Covid-19 than all our wars besides WW1, WW2 or the Civil War COMBINED. Or we've lost more than WW1 on its own. It's equal to roughly 55 9/11's at this point.

Achieving herd immunity would require infection and death numbers to skyrocket.

Everyone has a different idea of what acceptable levels of collateral damage are, I suppose.

Sort of like cleaning your house by burning it down.

2 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I will gladly disagree (as the virus hasn't stopped) but not comment further about the politics of it. 

The statement about the Big Ten being disingenuous still stands. 

I'm going to be pretty upset if the ACC Presidents are hiding that the decision has already been make a but are just going through a dog and pony show to keep the fans in tune.  Actually just upset at the UNC Dean + ACC Commish because he actually calls the shots.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I'm going to be pretty upset if the ACC Presidents are hiding that the decision has already been make a but are just going through a dog and pony show to keep the fans in tune.  Actually just the UNC Dean + ACC Commish because he actually calls the shots.  

I think all college football fans will be pissed if all of this is a dog and pony show. I do think more information and data needs to come out to convince the SEC, ACC & Big 12 to jump ship. All of these campuses welcoming students back the next two to three weeks will be more indicative of how those conferences react.

• Plus1 1