Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's strange how we are always the odd school out.  When we joined the Big 12, all the votes were 11-1.  Now, it's 13-1.

Agreed, though the mentality behind these are different. The Big 12 members consistently voted to appease Texas. The Big Ten schools appear to fall in line with the commissioner and the conference brand over any one particular school. 

12 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Have we heard from the players yet? B1G will be good if the players stay quiet. If the players decide to speak out (especially if players across different teams link up) the B1G would have a problem on their hands. The OSU players were very vocal that they didn't feel exploited and were okay with the risk they were taking - but we haven't heard from them since the announcement. I would imagine many players won't take this laying down.

I've seen a handful of players vocally upset with the decision, and not just from the B1G but across the country. I'm also pretty sure a player from one of the B1G schools was on national TV being interviewed last night and he expressed frustration.

I'm guessing a number of players feel relatively helpless, dejected and at a loss. Maybe some of that numbness will fade in the coming days and they'll mobilize/speak out more but I imagine they're dealing with a lot of shock and anger right now.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Maybe the other conferences aren't the problem...:dunno

There's always a kid in school that complains about how all the teachers suck because they are always yelling at him.  Well Johnny, if you are getting yelled at by every single teacher, maybe they aren't the ones that suck...

Nah, at some point you have to look out for your own interests here and there or you will always be the loser in the group projects. MNGA!

• Thanks 2
17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I've seen a handful of players vocally upset with the decision, and not just from the B1G but across the country. I'm also pretty sure a player from one of the B1G schools was on national TV being interviewed last night and he expressed frustration.

I'm guessing a number of players feel relatively helpless, dejected and at a loss. Maybe some of that numbness will fade in the coming days and they'll mobilize/speak out more but I imagine they're dealing with a lot of shock and anger right now.

I mean they get crapped on every way possible. They receive zero compensation, they're playing time and choice of school is limited by transfer rules, and now they're told they have no say in if they get to play football this season. People wonder why they're trying to unionize - you have a workforce that now can't decide: where they will work, how much they will work for, and now if they are even able to work at all. 

I think the more appropriate way to phrase that is... commiserate to the amount of value and money they help generate for their respective universities and football programs, many D1 athletes are grossly under-compensated and/or overtly taken advantage of.

I agree with @FrantzHardySwag's overall point, though - being in that position as a D1 football athlete would 100% suck right now. They've done everything that's been asked of them and been asked to put their faith in other people and now I'm sure it feels like none of that mattered.

• Thanks 2
14 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I mean they get crapped on every way possible. They receive zero compensation, they're playing time and choice of school is limited by transfer rules, and now they're told they have no say in if they get to play football this season. People wonder why they're trying to unionize - you have a workforce that now can't decide: where they will work, how much they will work for, and now if they are even able to work at all. 

This situation really stinks for the players.  However, thousands of high school kids are standing in line for the opportunity that these kids get.  Our entitlement society is leading us down a path that will ruin our country imo.  These kids are volunteering to play.  Many of them are receiving a free education worth 6 figures.  The ones who walk on are still receiving benefits way above and beyond what regular students get.  In exchange for providing everything, the universities do make a lot of money.  A good portion of that money allows the universities to provide for even more athletes in other sports that don't generate huge sums of money.  

• Plus1 3

Show of hands:  how many here (who are employed) honestly feel like they are paid an appropriate amount of money for doing their job?  An amount of money that is truly commensurate with the value they provide their employer?  They are students.  Students that in many cases receive free education, free room and board, free books, free academic tutoring and more.  Advantages that their classmates do not receive.  Stop it with the union BS and pay the players.  It's garbage and will ruin the sport we love.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Frustrated said:

Show of hands:  how many here (who are employed) honestly feel like they are paid an appropriate amount of money for doing their job?  An amount of money that is truly commensurate with the value they provide their employer?  They are students.  Students that in many cases receive free education, free room and board, free books, free academic tutoring and more.  Advantages that their classmates do not receive.  Stop it with the union BS and pay the players.  It's garbage and will ruin the sport we love.

General population "Students" don't generate billions in revenue in the course of a football season. Let's not pretend these guys are just like everyone else on campus.  They don't build 70,000 seat stadiums so folks can watch a student take a history test.

These guys are unique, they have value, and they are realizing their value (and leverage) more and more every day. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I like this response from Purdue's AD:

OK...did Nebraska really threaten to leave the conference?  They said they want to explore coming up with a schedule to play this fall outside the conference and Warren came back and said, "not while they are a member".  Since he said that, I haven't seen anything that says they are actively pursuing it in a manner that they can't still be a member.  I have not seen anything that says they actually threatened to leave the conference for good.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

To be honest, it's probably a rabbit hole best reserved for another thread as opposed to turning into a tangent in this one.

I will say this, though: in the context of what's happening in the world and to ALL collegiate fall sports (not just football), not having any real sort of say or influence in these decisions feels exploitive. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

This situation really stinks for the players.  However, thousands of high school kids are standing in line for the opportunity that these kids get.  Our entitlement society is leading us down a path that will ruin our country imo.  These kids are volunteering to play.  Many of them are receiving a free education worth 6 figures.  The ones who walk on are still receiving benefits way above and beyond what regular students get.  In exchange for providing everything, the universities do make a lot of money.  A good portion of that money allows the universities to provide for even more athletes in other sports that don't generate huge sums of money.  

They bring in billions of dollars. Its not entitled to want a piece, its fair. The response to cancelling the football season should make this apparent. No one cares that the volleyball season is canceled.