Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...did Nebraska really threaten to leave the conference?  They said they want to explore coming up with a schedule to play this fall outside the conference.  But, I have not seen anything that says they actually threatened to leave the conference for good.

Explicitly threaten to leave the conference? No. But, some of what Nebraska officials have said is definitely being interpreted that way.

I more or less just thought Purdue's AD hit the nail on the head with how people (particularly players/coaches) are feeling right now. His response felt less about Nebraska and more about the coaches/players as a whole.

• Plus1 3

Just now, Enhance said:

To be honest, it's probably a rabbit hole best reserved for another thread as opposed to turning into a tangent in this one.

I will say this, though: in the context of what's happening in the world and to ALL collegiate fall sports (not just football), not having any real sort of say or influence in these decisions feels exploitive. 

My employer announced that they were shutting off all business travel back in March.  I was in New Mexico.  They next closed our offices.  I neither had a say or a choice.  That is life.  We don't always have a "say."  Remember, at many schools they are students first.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Explicitly threaten to leave the conference? No. But, some of what Nebraska officials have said is definitely being interpreted that way.

I more or less just thought Purdue's AD hit the nail on the head with how people (particularly players/coaches) are feeling right now. His response felt less about Nebraska and more about the coaches/players as a whole.

He certainly hit the nail on the head. Of course players and coaches are going to be upset. This is their lives. Thats why I don't think there will be any changes of heart. They knew this response was coming. 

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Coaches and players have certain perspectives that aren't the same as the University Presidents.  They also don't have a say in if we are in the conference or not.  Still, I have not seen anything from the University administration that claims they actively want out or said they were thinking about leaving.

So, do your first sentence, I agree. The tweet is misleading and misrepresenting what seems to be the case.

And, yes...the quote from the Purdue AD is much more in line with reality.

1 minute ago, Frustrated said:

My employer announced that they were shutting off all business travel back in March.  I was in New Mexico.  They next closed our offices.  I neither had a say or a choice.  That is life.  We don't always have a "say."  Remember, at many schools they are students first.

Thats a fair point. This pandemic situation sucks for everyone. 

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

They bring in billions of dollars. Its not entitled to want a piece, its fair. The response to cancelling the football season should make this apparent. No one cares that the volleyball season is canceled. 

They knew exactly how they were to be compensated when they committed.  They get a great education that can carry them through their entire life if they choose to use the time wisely.  They also get the opportunity to earn a spot in the NFL.  

How many of us on here worked an internship?  I did and was so thankful for the opportunity to show what I was worth.  It gave me the opportunity to land a career position later in life.  I wasn't paid a dime for all that hard work even though I was making the company piles of money with my hard work.  My compensation?  The opportunity!

Millions of kids out there just wish they had the opportunity.  Those kids that appreciate that opportunity bring a spirit to college football that makes it what it is.  They play the game because they love it.  They play the game for the long shot that some day it might become their job.  Raw emotion and desire drive college football...  Start paying and giving more and more and you will remove so much that makes it great.  

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

However, you are considered a professional individual and are paid (and have commiserate influence over the company) based on your value, whatever that value may be. College athletes can not claim any of those things as they have long been branded and hidden behind the moniker of 'amateurism' or being 'student athletes.'

So, if we want to compare their situation to that of yours, then we should start considering them what they are - professional athletes. The problem is that a lot of people don't want to do that, so we can't really have it both ways.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

However, you are considered a professional individual and are paid (and have commiserate influence over the company) based on your value, whatever that value may be. College athletes can not claim any of those things as they have long been branded and hidden behind the moniker of 'amateurism' or being 'student athletes.'

So, if we want to compare their situation to that of yours, then we should start considering them what they are - professional athletes. The problem is that a lot of people don't want to do that. We can't have our cake and eat it, too.

I don't want to get into a fight.  but I don't have a voice in how my company is run.  I am not in management.  I am, however, a professional responsible for essentially running my business.  The notion that college football players don't get paid is laughable to me.  I was a student-athlete back in my day and there is so much compensation provided to these kids compared to other students it's laughable to me when people scream to pay them.  These kids aren't Roman Gladiators, they are students!  Who are expected to go to class, do their homework, get good grades AND perform at a high level on the field.  Yes, it can be done.  No, they don't need to "get paid"  How much is out of state tuition at NU???  FFS

We are all pissed that there is no football.  Who is willing to admit that is because as a whole, we argued and fought and refused to put a damn mask on?  I KNOW that is why we can't have football.  Next time you're at the Super Saver and see 'ol Cooter without a mask, thank him for ruining college football season for everybody.

9 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

That's fair, they are students first. But doesn't that make the decision to separate school and athletics so weird? Sit in a classroom, sit in a lecture hall, eat in a dining hall, and sleep in a dorm in close proximity to other students - but athletics is a no go. This whole thing would make more sense if in person learning was cancelled. If you are going to allow students to assess their own risk on in person learning, you should allow the students to assess their own risk on participating in athletics. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

That's fair, they are students first. But doesn't that make the decision to separate school and athletics so weird? Sit in a classroom, sit in a lecture hall, eat in a dining hall, and sleep in a dorm in close proximity to other students - but athletics is a no go. This whole thing would make more sense if in person learning was cancelled. If you are going to allow students to assess their own risk on in person learning, you should allow the students to assess their own risk on participating in athletics. 

Agree completely.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Frustrated said:

I don't want to get into a fight.  but I don't have a voice in how my company is run.  I am not in management.  I am, however, a professional responsible for essentially running my business.  The notion that college football players don't get paid is laughable to me.  I was a student-athlete back in my day and there is so much compensation provided to these kids compared to other students it's laughable to me when people scream to pay them.  These kids aren't Roman Gladiators, they are students!  Who are expected to go to class, do their homework, get good grades AND perform at a high level on the field.  Yes, it can be done.  No, they don't need to "get paid"  How much is out of state tuition at NU???  FFS

We are all pissed that there is no football.  Who is willing to admit that is because as a whole, we argued and fought and refused to put a damn mask on?  I KNOW that is why we can't have football.  Next time you're at the Super Saver and see 'ol Cooter without a mask, thank him for ruining college football season for everybody.

Perhaps I unintentionally steered this conversation the wrong way because I think you're tracking this conversation too close into the area of 'payment.' That's not really what I'm getting at and is a debate best reserved for another thread.

I'm talking about representation and influence equivalent to the value provided. In the professional world, we are all provided with influence commiserate to our value. In the college football world, many athletes have virtually no influence commiserate to their value because they're labeled as 'amateurs' or 'student-athletes.' So, that's all I'm really saying. I don't think it's fair to compare their dilemma to that of a professional because there's an absolute vice grip on college athletes to prevent them from being labeled as (and afforded some of the benefits of) professionalism.

As to your last paragraph, I agree. Fortunately, Omaha passed a mask mandate yesterday. Not that it'll help us have a football season, but at least 'ol Cooter' will be pissed/irritated and I will take some solace in that :D.

• Fire 1
33 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

They knew exactly how they were to be compensated when they committed.  They get a great education that can carry them through their entire life if they choose to use the time wisely.  They also get the opportunity to earn a spot in the NFL.  

How many of us on here worked an internship?  I did and was so thankful for the opportunity to show what I was worth.  It gave me the opportunity to land a career position later in life.  I wasn't paid a dime for all that hard work even though I was making the company piles of money with my hard work.  My compensation?  The opportunity!

Millions of kids out there just wish they had the opportunity.  Those kids that appreciate that opportunity bring a spirit to college football that makes it what it is.  They play the game because they love it.  They play the game for the long shot that some day it might become their job.  Raw emotion and desire drive college football...  Start paying and giving more and more and you will remove so much that makes it great.  

Let's be clear, it is their only opportunity to get to the NFL. The NCAA has a monopoly on pro football prospects, and the schools make a hefty sum of money from it. Honestly, I'm somewhere in the middle. I agree with you to some degree but at the same time the money in the sport has become obscene. Coaching staffs getting 10 million a year and the players who make them look good get squat. Not squat but let's see these coaches without all of the top end talent. Maybe there should be a football minor league. Its not fair to a kid who just wants to play in the NFL to have to dance through the hoops of going to school and Yada Yada. Thats not how any other industry in America works. If your talented enough you can seek your value on the free market. I think these kids should have that same opportunity considering people exploit them for capital gain as it stands now.