The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

15 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe, but at some point in the 8 minutes your fellow police officer to stop him from killing someone.

Look I agree, that's what he should have done. But you can be less guilty as other parties involved. Speaking up against and physically removing an officer 20 years his superior is what he should have done, but again as rookie, in the moment, that's not necessarily an easy thing to do. I agree with @knapplc, he seems like a prime candidate to testify against the others. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Look I agree, that's what he should have done. But you can be less guilty as other parties involved. Speaking up against and physically removing an officer 20 years his superior is what he should have done, but again as rookie, in the moment, that's not necessarily an easy thing to do. I agree with @knapplc, he seems like a prime candidate to testify against the others. 

Yes I agree, he's not nearly as culpable as the dude sitting on someone's neck.

15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

From what Ive seen over the past week, the NYPD is by far one of the worst police forces in the country. Just a week full of police brutality videos coming from that city. The riots and looting were caused by them running their cars into a crowd of people and its escalated since then. Audio came out of police officers telling them to run over the protestors and shoot the motherf#&%ers after that incident. They have been chomping at the bit to be given the green light to hurt people without repercussion and they got it from Cuomo and De Blasio when they said they didnt see anything wrong with the tactics. That whole dept needs to be reformed from top to bottom. 

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I mean cops have to be as terrified of ranking cops as the rest of us are.

I am not terrified of cops.

Now, if you want to get me started on firemen and how ridiculously compensated they are for all the work they don't do, well, I will be happy to start a new thread.

• Haha 4
3 hours ago, Landlord said:

I mean cops have to be as terrified of ranking cops as the rest of us are.

I agree; I'm sure there's a measure of that just like there would be in any profession. It's hard and not at all easy to tell a ranking supervisor that they're wrong or to stop doing something. Adding in the fact that it's police work and he'd be butting heads with a veteran officer...

I like to think I'd do the right thing if I were that rookie in that situation but you never know for certain until you're put into it.

• Plus1 1

I guess our little old Greeley CO has a few protests scheduled tomorrow and Saturday. I may have to go check it out. But what I really want to comment on is all the rumors being posted on social media about it. People are posting that antifa is in town and will be attending and there are also rumors that pallets of bricks are being placed on the streets. Police are dispelling the rumors and say they are all in favor of peaceful protests. But my question is, what depraved human beings get a kick out of posting such rumors on social media? All it does is inflame the situation. I don't get it. Aren't things potentially bad enough without purposely trying to make them worse?

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I guess our little old Greeley CO has a few protests scheduled tomorrow and Saturday. I may have to go check it out. But what I really want to comment on is all the rumors being posted on social media about it. People are posting that antifa is in town and will be attending and there are also rumors that pallets of bricks are being placed on the streets. Police are dispelling the rumors and say they are all in favor of peaceful protests. But my question is, what depraved human beings get a lick out of posting such rumors on social media? All it does is inflame the situation I don't get it. Aren't things potentially bad enough without purposely trying to make them worse?

Apparently that sh#t is spreading like wildfire for pretty much everywhere across social media with the primary culprit being Facebook.

Definitely feels manufactured. Who would stand to benefit from spreading ANTIFA propaganda?

Yeah definitely go check them out. We went to a 8:46 min of silence protest today and it was great seeing such a diverse, surprisingly large swath of people engaging together. Particularly somewhere that most likely didn't blink an eye when Ferguson happened.

Absolutely HORRIFYING video tonight of Buffalo PD officers pushing over an old man who falls and slams his head on the concrete. Immediately bleeding from his ear, they state "He's bleeding, get a medic" before... DOING NOTHING, walking off and attempting to apprehend a protester. 

A National Guard member ultimately had to tend to the guy. I read he's apparently only got a laceration and a concussion. Definitely could have died.

Not linking the video; it's horrible. You can find it if you want to see it.

Buffalo PD released a statement claiming he "tripped and fell."

Just completely mind-bogglingly awful all the way around.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Absolutely HORRIFYING video tonight of Buffalo PD officers pushing over an old man who falls and slams his head on the concrete. Immediately bleeding from his ear, they state "He's bleeding, get a medic" before... DOING NOTHING, walking off and attempting to apprehend a protester. 

A National Guard member ultimately had to tend to the guy. I read he's apparently only got a laceration and a concussion. Definitely could have died.

Not linking the video; it's horrible. You can find it if you want to see it.

Buffalo PD released a statement claiming he "tripped and fell."

Just completely mind-bogglingly awful all the way around.

I'm linking it. They've suspended 2 officers.