The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Major speculation that Trump will run again.  There is just some scum on the toilet bowl that just can't be wiped away.   I'm am so tired of this guy sucking the air out of American life.   Maybe if he announces before the Congressional elections it will motivate people to vote against the GOP as a vote against trump.  

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/donald-trump-2024-decision.html

Donald Trump was impeached twice, lost the 2020 election by 7,052,770 votes, is entangled in investigations by federal prosecutors (over the Capitol insurrection and over the mishandling of classified White House documents and over election interference) and the District of Columbia attorney general (over financial fraud at the Presidential Inaugural Committee) and the Manhattan district attorney (over financial fraud at the Trump Organization) and the New York State attorney general (over financial fraud at the Trump Organization) and the Westchester County district attorney (over financial fraud at the Trump Organization) and the Fulton County, Georgia, district attorney (over criminal election interference in Georgia) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (over rules violations in plans to take his social-media company public through a SPAC) and the House Select Committee on January 6 (whose hearings are the runaway TV-ratings hit of the summer), yet on Monday, July 11, he was in a fantastic mood.

It was a beautiful day in Bedminster, New Jersey, where the former president maintains a golf club and private estate to which he decamps when the Palm Beach humidity and the habits of snowbirds shut down Mar-a-Lago for the Mother’s Day–to–Labor Day summer season, and it had been a beautiful weekend, too, one he said affirmed the choice he had made about his own future, the future of the Republican Party, and — whether he wins this time or if he loses as sorely as before — the future of the American experiment.

At a rally in Alaska on Saturday, he told me by phone, his fans were adoring. “More love,” in his words, “than I’ve ever had before.” His voice was humming with excitement. He was still in awe.

Look,” Trump said, “I feel very confident that, if I decide to run, I’ll win.”

I fixated on If I decide. Trump is less a politician than a live-action mythological creature, and so punditry and all of the standard forms of analyses tend to fail. What would factor into such a decision for such an unusual person? “Well, in my own mind, I’ve already made that decision, so nothing factors in anymore. In my own mind, I’ve already made that decision,” he said.

He wouldn’t disclose what he’d decided. Not at first. But then he couldn’t help himself. “I would say my big decision will be whether I go before or after,” he said. “You understand what that means?” His tone was conspiratorial. Was he referring to the midterm elections? He repeated after me: “Midterms.” Suddenly, he relaxed, as though my speaking the word had somehow set it free for discussion. “Do I go before or after? That will be my big decision,” he said.

He was thinking aloud now. “I just think that there are certain assets to before,” he said. “Let people know. I think a lot of people would not even run if I did that because, if you look at the polls, they don’t even register. Most of these people. And I think that you would actually have a backlash against them if they ran. People want me to run.”

He insists he cares little about the other Republicans people may want to run and denies that he even considers Ron DeSantis a rival. “I don’t feel that,” he said, “I endorsed Ron, he was at 3, and as soon as I endorsed him, he went to first place, he was not gonna win, then —” I stopped him. The question was about the 2024 presidential primary, I said. “Yeah, no, I meant when he ran for governor, as you know, he was running and then he came to me for an endorsement because he was not, you know, he was at 3 percent.” With his blessing, Trump said, “the race was over, and I think Ron knows that better than anybody. We have a good relationship, and, uhh, there may be some others soon, but that’s okay.” He cited a recent poll that had him beating DeSantis by a margin of 58 percent to 10 percent. (Never content, Trump had overstated things slightly: DeSantis was at 16, not 10. In the averages, meanwhile, he beats DeSantis 53 to 21 and Biden 43 to 41.)

For weeks leading up to the Fourth of July, there were rumors about an announcement, but like so many things in Trumpworld, it was hard to know what was true and what was just chatter circulated by those around him looking to advance various personal agendas. Floating ideas in this way, watching them circulate through the political conversation, was a favorite tactic of Trump staffers and hangers-on during his campaigns and presidency. You could kill a bad idea this way, directing attention and input and debate so that soon it was no longer exciting to Trump, or you could plant your own idea, on the thinking that if he heard it enough, from enough people, it would soon manifest as the new plan to replace the total absence of one. Or because after a while the fake plan began to sound real and who could be sure it hadn’t been the real plan all along, or because Trump had convinced himself that the stroke of brilliance he kept hearing about was his?

“He really was 100 percent going to announce on the Fourth of July,” one person knowledgeable about the discussions said, “but the kids and Lindsey Graham and Kevin McCarthy were against it because he would be blamed for the midterms.” (The “kids” is a common but often incomplete term used by people with knowledge of Trump and his family, and here it does not refer to Donald Trump Jr., who, according to multiple people connected to the former president, was thought to be a supporter of the patriotic announcement date.) To me, Trump denied that he had considered it at all. As the producer of the iconic escalator ride in the atrium of Trump Tower to announce his 2016 campaign, he considered an Independence Day declaration amateurish. “I don’t think I have to compete with that,” he said. “First of all, a lot of people aren’t around on the Fourth of July. It’s not a great time to do an announcement … I never said I was going to. That was just fake news. Somebody said that I was going to,” he said. “I don’t think it was any of our people.”

• Plus1 1

Speaking of scum,  Trump and friends are already developing plans for their govt take over (peacefully this time ) when they win in 2024.  Kind of early to be counting those chickens. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-15/trump-allies-line-up-shadow-government-as-he-weighs-third-run?sref=3OTf8B4q

A group of Donald Trump’s former aides are preparing a turnkey administration for his return to the White House, as the embattled former president hints that he’s preparing to make a third run for the nation’s highest office.

America First Policy Institute, a nonprofit led by former Trump cabinet member and World Wrestling Entertainment executive Linda McMahon, has essentially assembled a shadow government for Trump -- or, potentially, any other Republican who takes the White House from Democrats in 2024. 

The organization, based a short walk from the White House, is also developing policy proposals for an expected Republican-controlled House in November. The administration-in-waiting includes potential cabinet members, senior White House officials and even political appointees at federal agencies.

Trump is scheduled to headline an America First summit in Washington on July 26, his first return to the capital since he departed for Florida the morning of President Joe Biden’s inauguration. The former president has repeatedly suggested that he’s planning another run for the White House, even as polls show Republican voters are increasingly agitating for a new standard-bearer.

He could announce another White House run at any moment, according to people familiar with discussions among his team. There are two conflicting patterns of thought among those in his orbit. 

Some favor an immediate announcement, to put down a marker against potential rivals, including Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida. Announcing his candidacy might also draw attention from damaging revelations emerging from the House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection Trump instigated at the US Capitol.  

But others want to hold off on a formal announcement, allowing Trump to continue to raise money largely unfettered by federal regulations, hold rallies and defer staffing decisions necessitated by a full campaign.

Representatives of Trump and DeSantis didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

Chaotic Transition

While America First’s work organizing a shadow government appears premature, as Republicans won’t even start voting in presidential primaries for another year and a half, it’s intended to help Trump or another GOP candidate avoid the missteps of his first presidential transition, when the candidate and his team were caught off-guard by his victory over Hillary Clinton in 2016. 

A chaotic, two-month struggle ensued to assemble a White House staff and to fill roles at government agencies. Important vacancies remained across the administration well into Trump’s term as president.

“Our side has historically been woefully unprepared when it is our time to govern and to lead,” Brooke Rollins, the group’s president and chief executive officer and former director of the Domestic Policy Council in Trump’s White House, said in an interview. 

Axios is starting a series on Trump's plan if he is elected in 2024.  It ain't pretty.  The Anti-trump portion of the GOP has got to settle on one candidate to oppose trump in the primaries.  If they don't, he will pick off the other guys one by one like he did in 2016.  Trump is setting himself up to being the strongman dictator with the plan being revealed by Axios.   Do anti-trumpers hold their nose and support the lessor of two evils - Desantis  or do they support a true anti-trumper like Hogan.  Either way, there are some hard decisions to be made unless the DOJ or the Georgia justice dept can stop trump in his tracks.  

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/22/trump-2025-radical-plan-second-term

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Axios is starting a series on Trump's plan if he is elected in 2024.  It ain't pretty.  The Anti-trump portion of the GOP has got to settle on one candidate to oppose trump in the primaries.  If they don't, he will pick off the other guys one by one like he did in 2016.  Trump is setting himself up to being the strongman dictator with the plan being revealed by Axios.   Do anti-trumpers hold their nose and support the lessor of two evils - Desantis  or do they support a true anti-trumper like Hogan.  Either way, there are some hard decisions to be made unless the DOJ or the Georgia justice dept can stop trump in his tracks.  

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/22/trump-2025-radical-plan-second-term

Trumps odds of winning against any Democrat is probably 55% or higher. With the bias of the Electoral College, it may not be possible for a Dem candidate to win. 

Trump, if he runs, will almost certainly win the Republican nomination. He should be the odds on favorite to be in the White House in 2025.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Related:

https://www.rawstory.com/liz-cheney-2657726327/

Cillizza also points out that Cheney didn't exactly rule out a 2024 presidential during her interview either. When asked by Tapper if she's thinking about running in the next presidential election, she replied, "I haven't really -- at this point, I have not made a decision about 2024. ... But I do think, as we look towards the next presidential election, as I said, I believe that our nation stands on the edge of an abyss. And I do believe that we all have to really think very seriously about the dangers we face and the threats we face. And we have to elect serious candidates."

But Cillizza contends that if Cheney runs as a Republican in 2024, she has a tough road ahead.

Meme Maker - I like you... A lot! Meme Generator!

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh....wouldn't a debate between Cheney and Trump be must watch TV?  She would absolutely bury him....to anyone with an ounce of brain watching.

Trump and several other possible candidates but esp trump.  She would tear him up.  I think he'd avoid any debate.  Unlike Little Rubio, she wouldn't blink when he would call her a derogatory name as a diversion from his inability to answer or counter her in a debate.

d!(k and Lynn Cheney raised her right.  A person of integrity and character - whether you agree with her old time conservative principles or not, you have to admire her will to take one not for the Gipper or for the party or for a party boss but for the constitution, the truth and the country.  Yes that sounds like I'm on the Liz :koolaid2:train, but it has been a while since we seen a politician like her and Adam K who risked it all for the sake of the truth. It is refreshing and I would have said the same if it was Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders standing against their party and party leader in the same way.   Character does matter.  And while we don't elect a national pastor (the justification heard from too many evangelicals) we do elect a national leader and leadership includes moral leadership and example.  

8 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Wouldn't this be the Republican's comeuppance?

Yep. If Trump runs, that’s a disaster for the republicans. He would win the nomination and all the party hacks would be forced to act like they love him….knowing deep down they are digging their own personal grave. 

• TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election