B1G Officially Cancels 2020 Season, What’s Next For NU?

10 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

You said Nebraska is in the top portion of the conference in revenue.  We are just outside by my count.  My point is simple, we are on dangerous ground if we think our team is bigger than the conference.  Since we came to this conference, we played exactly one game for a conference championship and I'm pretty sure we all remember how that turned out.  Big game, big stage and nothing but embarrassment to show for it.  Haven't been competitive against the better teams in the conference since.  I'm frustrated.  We, as a fan base, are incredibly proud of our program, it's history and traditions.  But thinking that somehow makes us better or more passionate than other teams' fan bases is silly.  I'm tired of losing to Wisconsin and Iowa.  I want to dominate them.

again this in not how this works.  You have shown another chart that isn't directly relevant to the point.  The $$$ that we get from BTN are tv revenue and your chart isn't about that. 

That would be like me stating that of those Big10 teams on that chart NU was the most profitable which is true however doesn't have a single factor in BTN payouts. 

NU is banking on their tradition and their plan to have a solid football team going forward.  You do understand that win you buy a stock you win or loss based on what the stock does going forward not past history.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

You said Nebraska is in the top portion of the conference in revenue.  We are just outside by my count.  My point is simple, we are on dangerous ground if we think our team is bigger than the conference.  Since we came to this conference, we played exactly one game for a conference championship and I'm pretty sure we all remember how that turned out.  Big game, big stage and nothing but embarrassment to show for it.  Haven't been competitive against the better teams in the conference since.  I'm frustrated.  We, as a fan base, are incredibly proud of our program, it's history and traditions.  But thinking that somehow makes us better or more passionate than other teams' fan bases is silly.  I'm tired of losing to Wisconsin and Iowa.  I want to dominate them.

Not sure where the numbers come from but it appears its just gross revenues 2018.   I would have to know about the sources thereof and the comparable expenditures etc.  I believe DONU is one of just a few Athletic Depts that have a plus margin in operations without any taxpayer $ from the State.   I also believe NU did not receive its full share of conference revenues.  I know that was the price of admission and presumably that changes (or maybe did for the past budget).  But the Big Ten bucks also got watered down with Rutgers and Maryland joinder.   

TV contracts will change in the future so who knows what that will be with all the conferences.  I cant speak to how the future $$ looks but I am also guessing DONU execs have that clearly in mind as they go forward.  

A 100 million loss now takes time to recover.  Other Big Ten blue bloods have huge alumna bases and bigger trust funds to tap so they may feel they can take the loss better than NU.   It could be strategic in that way though likely not.   

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I also believe NU did not receive its full share of conference revenues.  I know that was the price of admission and presumably that changes (or maybe did for the past budget). 

Just wanted to pass info

- Nebraska became fully vested starting in the Fall 2017. (http://www.dailynebraskan.com/nse/unl-to-receive-full-big-ten-benefits-after-six-years/article_4c48981c-38e0-11e7-a20e-4f245739bd5d.html)

- Rutgers gets fully vested in 2021 (https://ucmweb.rutgers.edu/magazine/1419archive/features/a-big-moment-in-the-big-ten.html#:~:text=The university becomes fully vested,full share of conference revenue.)

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Ok.  thanks. But the split dropped from the time we joined with more members - I dont recall anyone leaving anyway.   That bites. 

1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Ok.  thanks. But the split dropped from the time we joined with more members - I dont recall anyone leaving anyway.   That bites. 

That definitely could be, I don't know specifics of the deals. I do know the conference fronted Maryland with more money than us initially as they were coming from the ACC and would be missing out on their revenues by switching conferences. The conference did strike a six year deal with ESPN in 2017 so though the pie was split more, I believe there was a bigger revenue pie from which to pull.

30 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

again this in not how this works.  You have shown another chart that isn't directly relevant to the point.  The $$$ that we get from BTN are tv revenue and your chart isn't about that. 

That would be like me stating that of those Big10 teams on that chart NU was the most profitable which is true however doesn't have a single factor in BTN payouts. 

NU is banking on their tradition and their plan to have a solid football team going forward.  You do understand that win you buy a stock you win or loss based on what the stock does going forward not past history.

I'm confused on this conversation.  Don't we need to be looking at the amount of money each program brings INTO the Big Ten through viewership...etc?  

All I see are people talking about how much Nebraska is getting or bringing in for themselves.

• Plus1 1

I assumed that if we wanted to submit to Commissioner Warren and fall in line, that the university (whether Carter, Green, or Moos) would have issued a statement to show such.  I expected it by noon today, but there's been no statement. 

It would just be odd for us to not make a statement of retractions if this is was our plan of action. They can still release such a statement, but if comes much later than today, it will seem (and may or may not be true) that we first inquired into other conferences but preferred to stay pat. 

Am I missing something? (A brain?)

• Plus1 1

I'd like to see Nebraska play football this fall if at all possible, but hate to be lumped in with guys that say things like this:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/08/11/lou-holtz-notre-dame-college-football-when-they-stormed-normandy-they-knew-there-were-going-to-be-casualties/

Holtz, who coached at many other schools, said: “When they stormed Normandy, they knew there were going to be casualties — there were going to be risks.”

To me, making these types of comparisons cheapens the sacrifice of those that died on the beaches.

Then he follows up with:

“If you have a problem, an asthma problem, are diabetic or something and … have a legitimate reason you don’t want to play, don’t play. The rest of you want to play, go play.”

This is more reasonable, but makes his comparison to Normandy even dumber.  I doubt anyone storming the beaches at Normandy could just say "oh, I have asthma, I should be able to opt out."

Yeah, I know Holtz is an idiot, but ugh.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

I'd like to see Nebraska play football this fall if at all possible, but hate to be lumped in with guys that say things like this:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/08/11/lou-holtz-notre-dame-college-football-when-they-stormed-normandy-they-knew-there-were-going-to-be-casualties/

To me, making these types of comparisons cheapens the sacrifice of those that died on the beaches.

Then he follows up with:

This is more reasonable, but makes his comparison to Normandy even dumber.  I doubt anyone storming the beaches at Normandy could just say "oh, I have asthma, I should be able to opt out."

Yeah, I know Holtz is an idiot, but ugh.

Any comparison of a football player to a soldier storming the beaches of Normandy is just plain idiotic and, I agree with you, totally cheapens and disrespects those soldiers that sacrificed.  Many of them stayed right there on that beach and never came back.

• Plus1 5
32 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

So why did Rutgers and Maryland get a full vote? Not that it would have made a difference. 

Just now, krc1995 said:

So why did Rutgers and Maryland get a full vote? Not that it would have made a difference. 

Well they can vote on matters as fully accredited members, but it is the revenue sharing aspect that is reduced in the initial years. Much like Nebraska had our first 5-6 fiscal years where we voted to agree to have Rutgers & Maryland join despite not having the full revenue split we started receiving in the Fall 2017.

I don't know the specifics or quirks of the contracts so more details might be elsewhere.