Biden's America

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Operating costs go up, prices go up. This is how business works.

Looks like you sat in on an Economics 101 class at some point.... Or, if an owner is worried that raising prices enough to cover the increase in operating costs could potentially cost him clients/jobs/work/etc., they may decide to lay off a few employees and just pay a little overtime to what remains of the workforce.... We'll see where it goes.

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Looks like you sat in on an Economics 101 class at some point.... Or, if an owner is worried that raising prices enough to cover the increase in operating costs could potentially cost him clients/jobs/work/etc., they may decide to lay off a few employees and just pay a little overtime to what remains of the workforce.... We'll see where it goes.

I had a boss in college, doing lawn care.  He did not pay us OT (paid us in cash) so if you worked 48 hours one week, he would just give you a day off the next week.  I feel like he was f#&%ing us!

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I had a boss in college, doing lawn care.  He did not pay us OT (paid us in cash) so if you worked 48 hours one week, he would just give you a day off the next week.  I feel like he was f#&%ing us!

You should have organized a strike for a living wage. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, Scarlet said:

Which was probably him so you worked for free.  No wonder you need that $1400.

Now that I think about it...the bookie did sound a lot like his son!

Dude was working my a$$ off all week, paying me 400 dollars...then getting me hooked on gambling so every Monday I was pretty much giving him all his money back. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I dug ditches for a few years before going to college. It was all the education I needed in the real world.

Bosses make their bottom line however they see fit. They wager skill vs wages. You see it in the ditches people dig, the houses they build, the roads they maintain.

There are no noble business owners. They're all pirates of a kind.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

I dug ditches for a few years before going to college. It was all the education I needed in the real world.

Bosses make their bottom line however they see fit. They wager skill vs wages. You see it in the ditches people dig, the houses they build, the roads they maintain.

There are no noble business owners. They're all pirates of a kind.

Some might argue that offering employment is noble in and of itself. 

It's a mutually beneficial venture, but to your point, nobody's making money if the Captain isn't making money.... That bottom line is very important. 

16 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I start at $13/hr, but most are already over $15.... I'll definitely have to give them a bump, so they're safely above the new minimum wage, but I haven't decided on a wage yet, but Im thinking my starting wage will have to be in the $16.50-$17.50 range. But like I said, the clients will pay for it.

I start at $13/hr and within 6 months, they could be making as much as $17/hr with full benefits that includes health insurance where the premium is 100% free to the employee.  I still can't find enough workers even though there are lots of fast food restaurants around employing people I would hire but paying them less with very few to no benefits.  Sometimes it just leaves you scratching your head.