Biden's America

24 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

What I get from his quote is 'people who would have made less than the received unemployment benefits, which are likely the minimum wage workers, are not coming back to work as they are compensated more not to work.' And he's faulting the govt for said unemployment benefits.  I'm saying many min. wage people are working. Idk why the jobs came up the way they did, but it's not because min wage folks are lazy and unwilling to work.

Yeah I thought he meant people are not working because they can just collect government cash.  

11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Early start on FAC today?

Hell yes it was! But I also knew I would get a rise out of you or BRB. I love that you guys are dependable. I'm just glad we can actually have conversations like this now, and not talk about how much of a f#&% up POTUS is.

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You have got to F’ing be kidding me. 

Sitting at home and collecting a check from the government is not for what you just said. 

No, you probably shouldn't be collecting $55k a year from the government unless you're some kind of disabled veteran, or other citizen who is physically unable to perform any kind of job.

Yes, I think the vast majority of jobs should pay something closer to $55k for a person who needs to support a family. The poverty line for a family of 4 is like $25k or around $12/hr. I have no idea how a family of 4 could survive off of that. That has to be worse than paycheck-to-paycheck. They would have no future... I'm hoping in the long run the current unemployment rate will improve standard wages for the lowest earners.

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Those conversations are still relevant to today’s POTUS 

HA!

Look: we all get you are a “true” conservative and stand for anti-liberal values.

Politics aside, to claim that Biden is anywhere near the same childish, reckless, and lazy of a President as Trump was is laughable.

How many times over the last five years have we heard from GOP leadership and Trump fans on this very board day something along the lines of “well, I don’t like the way he said it, or the way he acts.  But at least he is getting stuff done.”???

Even six months ago you said you no longer supported him because of the way he was acting.  What has Biden done that is so ugly that even his faithful followers would abandon him?

• Plus1 2

27 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Hell yes it was! But I also knew I would get a rise out of you or BRB. I love that you guys are dependable. I'm just glad we can actually have conversations like this now, and not talk about how much of a f#&% up POTUS is.

No, you probably shouldn't be collecting $55k a year from the government unless you're some kind of disabled veteran, or other citizen who is physically unable to perform any kind of job.

Yes, I think the vast majority of jobs should pay something closer to $55k for a person who needs to support a family. The poverty line for a family of 4 is like $25k or around $12/hr. I have no idea how a family of 4 could survive off of that. That has to be worse than paycheck-to-paycheck. They would have no future... I'm hoping in the long run the current unemployment rate will improve standard wages for the lowest earners.

Well, the average wage is 48,000, so it’s almost there already.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestreet.com/.amp/personal-finance/average-income-in-us-14852178

But, there are one hell of a lot of jobs that shouldn’t be paying that and can’t.  A private business owner shouldn’t have to compete with the government paying people to just sit at home.  

20 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Well Yeah...but with Global Warming they shouldn't have had to worry about it!!

(j/k...poking the bear lol)

DON'T POKE THE POLAR BEARS!!! THEY'RE ALREADY IN ENOUGH TROUBLE - WE'VE ALL SEEN THE PICTURES!

• Haha 1

The problem with every job paying $55k (or whatever arbitrary amount) is not as simple as it sounds. That may be a worthy goal for those who do have to raise a family but there are a bunch of jobs that aren't designed to raise a family on. Teens need jobs like flipping burgers etc. Lower wages in those types of jobs help keep things affordable for everyone. If you greatly increase the minimum wage to where every job can raise a family, guess what, you've also significantly moved the poverty line and it still won't be enough for that family. 

Nothing in the economy is set in stone. It sounds great to make all these jobs pay a butt ton more but it really helps no one in the end. Some jobs need to be lower wage, entry level pay and treated as temporary. If you're 40 years old and asking someone if they want fries with that for less than $15/hour, I don't think it's societies job to assure you a higher wage. That person has to do what it takes to not get in that situation.  There will always be a poverty line with people living below it. Increasing the minimum wage only increases the cost of living and raises that poverty line. Minimum wage jobs will never be enough to raise a family on and to retire on no matter how high it goes.

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, the average wage is 48,000, so it’s almost there already.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestreet.com/.amp/personal-finance/average-income-in-us-14852178

But, there are one hell of a lot of jobs that shouldn’t be paying that and can’t.  A private business owner shouldn’t have to compete with the government paying people to just sit at home.  

The average income of me and Jeff Bezos is 55 billion dollars! Holy s#!t, Im rich! 

But all jokes aside, the unemployment rate in Omaha is under 3% which was pre-pandemic levels. Youre never going to get it completely down to 0. So Sasse is talking out of his a$$. And maybe the reason restaurants are struggling to find workers is these workers did what conservatives have been telling them to do for decades now, they found higher paying jobs. I guess these business owners struggling to find help better start paying higher wages if they want to keep up in the market or go out of business. Free market baby!

56 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Politics aside, to claim that Biden is anywhere near the same childish, reckless, and lazy of a President as Trump was is laughable.

You are right that Biden doesn’t act as childish or narcissistic as Trump.  Some of the policies he is promoting are reckless and he is showing that he is governing for the extreme left.  
I don’t think either President was/is lazy.  

59 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Even six months ago you said you no longer supported him because of the way he was acting.  What has Biden done that is so ugly that even his faithful followers would abandon him?

Correct about what I said.  As far as Biden I’m sure His followers love him I’m sure.  

• Plus1 1