Biden's America

X-Men entire arc from the start was an allegory to being gay/queer.  There are so many reboots in comics that almost none of it matters because they constantly conflict directly with previous iterations. 

BTW, since when have any of you nerds actually cared about comic books? Just wait for the movie.

• Plus1 2

56 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

No problem with anyone's preference towards an already existing IP character staying the same or not, so don't read this as an attack at you at all.

I don't care either way, but fictional characters have "never been" anything until they are. One of the really cool things about comic book stories as a medium, imo, is the license to reimagine and reinterpret characters endlessly. Batman was never a killer until he was. Captain America was never black or a Nazi until he was. Thor was never a woman until he/she was, so on and so forth. Some comic book characters are better suited for reimagining (Batman is a great one who is ripe for new interpretations), but at the end of the day I think any new realization of a character is good if it makes a good story. 

I'm really not upset one way or another. I found it interesting.  I just chalk it up to current trends and go on about my day.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I can see what you're saying, but at the same time it doesn't really matter. We're talking about fictional characters. I could see being upset or annoyed at someone going back and rewriting the original comics, but someone is making new Superman stories, so what does it matter which parts are changed? The only thing that should matter is whether the stories are good.

In the big scheme of things, you are 100% correct 

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2021 at 8:12 AM, knapplc said:

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I just don't see the need for this - or to make Hulk a woman, or to change any other gender/race/orientation of a character.

Just create a new character with the attributes you want.

Agree it's a bit lazy, and the comic book industry has relied heavily on shock value to create headline news they never would get otherwise.

But I believe the bisexual Superman is actually Clark Kent & Lois' Lane's son Jonathan.  A new character, but I think he will also go by Superman. Apparently Jonathan thinks his father failed to use his powers to address systemic social issues enough. 

9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Agree it's a bit lazy, and the comic book industry has relied heavily on shock value to create headline news they never would get otherwise.

But I believe the bisexual Superman is actually Clark Kent & Lois' Lane's son Jonathan.  A new character, but I think he will also go by Superman. Apparently Jonathan thinks his father failed to use his powers to address systemic social issues enough. 

I did not know the bold.  I suppose that makes much more sense than Clark Kent suddenly becoming bi. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Are you sure you weren't just reading a Babylon Bee headline? That can't be a real storyline, can it? 

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yep. Clark Kent handed the Superman reigns to his son so he can spend more time yelling at Fox TV 

If his kryptonite isn't random acts of male masculinity, then I'm out....

I don't know know that I'll ever get on board with intentionally blurring the lines of sexuality in the eyes of our children.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This makes much more sense. Thanks for sharing.

52 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

How about intentionally reinforcing imaginary lines of sexuality in the eyes of our children? 

Biology and evolution show us there is undoubtedly a way sexuality is supposed to work. It's inarguable. 

Now, this doesn't mean gay, or transgender (etc) people should be ridiculed or looked down upon in any way. I just don't think it's behavior that should be endorsed in material intended to be consumed by our children.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1