Penn State - What Did We Learn?

knapplc

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

Actually playing more than some thought.  Knowledge of the playbook is not the strong suit.  But I'm glad he's getting out there.

Heard the same thing of Mo Purify. Pelini only let David on the field due to injuries. Some people just need to be on the field to get the ball or be a threat.

I am a broken record, but I'll say it again. We need to run I. At least half the time. Our offensive line is pretty big and deep. Make their job easy with hat for hat blocking. Mills/Allen/Scott at FB. Wandale/Sevion/Rahmir at I-back. ISOs, FB trap, Toss, Counter, Flanker (Betts) Around, Belly and Reverse Option. Play Action from all of this, Waggle, Bootleg, etc. 

We all like Luke, but he can't throw that well. Let's make his and everyone else's jobs easier, move the chains, control the clock, and help out what seems to be an improving defense. 

I'm not only saying this as someone who longs for the power football of old. This is just logic. Luke is not a MacKenzie Milton or Marcus Mariota. He can't throw the ball downfield to covered receivers. He's a Crouch, Mickey Joseph, Mike Grant.

We CAN'T run spread if we can't throw the ball downfield. You know it, I know it, hopefully Frost knows it. 

We can, however, throw it up for a wide open tight end after a play-action fake. 

But yeah, good win.

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, knapplc said:

Compare the lines. It's pretty easy to see Tomich was the weakest link on that crew. And it's pretty easy to see Gregory was the scariest.

Switch the two. Gregory in Tomich's era, Tomich in Gregory's. Whose stats stand out more? Either Gregory crushes Tomich's career stats or Wistrom or any of the Peters Bros. eclipses their career marks.

I have nothing but love for Jared Tomich. Dude was the pinnacle of the walk-on program. But he was not the same player as Gregory. Better teammate? Yes. Better cog in the wheel? Yes. More talented? No.

Jared Tomich was friends with our county Sheriff and came to speak to my 6th grade class during D.A.R.E.

I couldn't see RG doing that :smokin

But I'd rather have RG on my line than JT...

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Decked said:

True. But with them stacking the box & no power back to speak of and mediocre blocking we would’ve had about the same result. 

I see what you're saying, but we've only seen zone/stretch blocking. Let's turn them loose with some one-on-one drive blocking and a lead back. We're running into free-running unblocked defenders, because we have big strong kids that don't know who they're supposed to be blocking. Give them one guy. One job. Give our running back a lead blocker. Right now we're just running into unblocked defenders.

57 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I am a broken record, but I'll say it again. We need to run I. At least half the time.

At this point and time,  that is not what Frost and his offense is.

Maybe someday his offense will move to that,  but the sooner we all give up on the idea that he will be Osborne 2.0 the better.

I know it can be maddening,  but that's not the guy calling plays

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, ScarletRevival said:

At this point and time,  that is not what Frost and his offense is.

Maybe someday his offense will move to that,  but the sooner we all give up on the idea that he will be Osborne 2.0 the better.

I know it can be maddening,  but that's not the guy calling plays

Yeah, I know. 

But we can't spread the field like this, if we have no downfield threat. Scott knows this, right?

Easy for outsiders to decide who was the better player I guess.   But this is football, not a beauty contest.  Which one displayed the heart of a Husker, which that of a problem child.  Which helped on the field and in every game, which missed games for no apparent reason.

Only one answer.  Primadonas destroy teams, coaches that allow them are just as guilty.

8 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Easy for outsiders to decide who was the better player I guess.   But this is football, not a beauty contest.  Which one displayed the heart of a Husker, which that of a problem child.  Which helped on the field and in every game, which missed games for no apparent reason.

Only one answer.  Primadonas destroy teams, coaches that allow them are just as guilty.

Who are you saying is a "problem child" or "prima donna?" Someone who left the team?

• Plus1 1