Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

Personally I think it's cool a player on my team won the Heisman. I was 9 years old when Crouch won and I though he ruled and was the coolest person alive. If people want to be upset one of our players won an award over Rex Grossman or Ken Dorsey I guess that's a thing you can think but I truly couldn't care less.

• Plus1 5

55 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Pissed? That's a little strong. I think Nebraska fans are pretty football savvy, and simply recognize that Crouch won a split vote in a weak field -- at the same time the Huskers were handed a National Championship game they didn't deserve --  and that the national grumbling over it wasn't unjustified. 

Still, I'm probably taking Crouch over Taylor Martinez & Tommy Armstrong 10 times out of 10. I'd be mainly basing that on decision making, toughness, and throwing motion.

But I will say that T-Magic's junior year he was pretty great.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Personally I think it's cool a player on my team won the Heisman. I was 9 years old when Crouch won and I though he ruled and was the coolest person alive. If people want to be upset one of our players won an award over Rex Grossman or Ken Dorsey I guess that's a thing you can think but I truly couldn't care less.

I guess some fans just wish he never would have won it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
47 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I said it's "like they are".  It constantly gets brought up like they are ashamed of it or something.  The kid won the Heisman.  I really don't care about the rest.  He was an absolute stud and if he wasn't he wouldn't have even been in the top 3-4 to get invited to NY.  

So, do Husker fans wish he wasn't even good enough to get invited to NY?

I'm reading a lot of admiration for Crouch on these posts, and some scattered acknowledgement that he may have been over-rated. You can do both without being a hater. Eric's hardly the only Heisman winner who got saddled with unfair expectations. He was a system quarterback, and Nebraska was the perfect system for him. 

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm reading a lot of admiration for Crouch on these posts, and some scattered acknowledgement that he may have been over-rated. You can do both without being a hater. Eric's hardly the only Heisman winner who got saddled with unfair expectations. He was a system quarterback, and Nebraska was the perfect system for him. 

As he should get a lot of admiration.  But, these conversations that include him always end up with comments like..."yeah....and he's the worst Heisman winner ever".  Like, him winning the trophy was something to be disgusted about.

He friggen won the trophy.  Nobody else did that year.  It was him and he was a hell of a fun player to watch while at Nebraska and he won a hell of a lot of games for us.  I just don't see the need to always include the "But, he's the worst Heisman winner ever" attitude every time he's discussed.

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

Who's upset?

57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As he should get a lot of admiration.  But, these conversations that include him always end up with comments like..."yeah....and he's the worst Heisman winner ever".  Like, him winning the trophy was something to be disgusted about.

I love Eric Crouch, he's one of my all time favorite players, I frequently go back and watch highlights of him and even full games, I'm happy he won the Heisman, and he's also the most underwhelming Heisman winner in the modern era. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you could choose one post-college career, you'd probably take Peppers. 

Which is totally irrelevant to the Heisman. It's not a predictor of future accomplishments.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Crouch and am happy he won it. I'd take anything close to that level of play at this (low) point in Husker Football.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Which is totally irrelevant to the Heisman. It's not a predictor of future accomplishments.

Exactly- its not who was the best College player who did well in the NFL or projects well in the NFL. It's based solely on the merits of the players college career. I see lots of college best lists that blur the distinction. A guy like Johnny Rodgers, Frazier or Rich Glover dont get their due because of that. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, J-MAGIC said:

Damn I forgot that they wait until all the players have finished their NFL careers before they award the Heisman so that they can evaluate those, too. 

I get you but he is right.  So much more goes into it- right team, right position, win loss record, media, etc...  It is widely thought, even outside of Nebraska, that Suh was the best player the year he should have won it.  I think it's more of a popularity contest than a true vote for who is the best based on individual merits alone.  

Just now, Hilltop said:

I get you but he is right.  So much more goes into it- right team, right position, win loss record, media, etc...  It is widely thought, even outside of Nebraska, that Suh was the best player the year he should have won it.  I think it's more of a popularity contest than a true vote for who is the best based on individual merits alone.  

I completely agree it is a narrative-based award but I assumed all the narrative stuff was included when we're discussing someone's "college career". The suggestion here seemed to be that Crouch's Heisman is somehow lesser because he didn't go on to NFL success as other winners did. Maybe I'm misunderstanding Loewarn and if I am my bad. 

• Plus1 1
  • jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic