Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

On 9/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, Hilltop said:

If Robinson was still here, it is unlikely we would have pursued Toure.  At worst the trade off has been a wash imo.    

Not true at all, in fact the exact opposite is true. . 

We needed a downfield threat in addition to Wandale. Manning has shown some flashes and got some production this year. However, he was not productive at all last year and many including the coaching staff weren't sure he would be healthy enough to play and contribute much at all this season. Betts has always shown potential but last year his playing time and play was very spotty. Again this year, flashes of greatness, but still not consistently productive, the same last year. Toure can play inside or outside, he has the size. More importantly is his consistency and maturity- knowledge of the game. I don't think Manning or Betts are anywhere close to Toures maturity and consistency level- which is what was sorely needed. 

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Not true. 

We needed a downfield threat in addition to Wandale. Manning has shown some flashes and got some production this year. However, he was not productive at all last year and many including the coaching staff weren't sure he would be healthy enough to play and contribute much at all this season. Betts has always shown potential but last year his playing time and play was very spotty. Again this year, flashes of greatness, but still not consistently productive, the same last year. Toure can play inside or outside, he has the size. More importantly is his consistency and maturity- knowledge of the game. I don't think Manning or Betts are anywhere close to Toures maturity and consistency level- which is what was sorely needed. 

An argument could be made that Wandale leaving has created the opportunity for Betts and Manning to get more experience,  thus the consistency and maturity.  It feels like a waste of time to compare last year to this year, covid and that craziness effected everybody.  

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Not true. 

You may be right in that we would have offered him?  That said, Robinson departing made Nebraska look a lot more attractive and it likely made the staff push a little harder to get a guy like him.    

8 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

An argument could be made that Wandale leaving has created the opportunity for Betts and Manning to get more experience,  thus the consistency and maturity.  It feels like a waste of time to compare last year to this year, covid and that craziness effected everybody.  

Wandale played inside. Betts and Manning play outside. We were desperate for help outside last year- neither of them really stepped up- they had the opportunity. This year- like last Betts has flashed- still looking for consistency. Same for Manning. Toure was DESPERATELY needed. 

• Plus1 1

19 hours ago, Hilltop said:

You may be right in that we would have offered him?  That said, Robinson departing made Nebraska look a lot more attractive and it likely made the staff push a little harder to get a guy like him.    

MUCH MUCH MORE to offer in fact with Wandale. Toure would have played outside at 6'3". It would have been a very nice offer. No one to compete against who had really distinguished themselves. Paired with a dynamic player (Wandale) on the inside that defenses would have to prepare for and get good matchups with. AKA you won't be the main guy defenses will have to prepare for. That sounds like a really really great offer to me.  Much better than if Wandale was gone and the only proven Receiver is Toure and the defense blankets him- a repeat of our one receiver offense of 2020- which Wandale was NOT a fan of. 

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

An argument could be made that Wandale leaving has created the opportunity for Betts and Manning to get more experience

Agreed.

Betts is kind of the 'X' factor for me. I think he needs a lot of snaps this season to set us up for next year.

I know this year is this year and it's critical that we get to that winning season mark. But Martin & Manning are juniors and can come back next season, so if Betts gets on the level of those two guys, next year we are still rolling hard at WR even when Samori graduates.

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Not true. 

We needed a downfield threat in addition to Wandale. Toure can play inside or outside, he has the size. More importantly is his consistency and maturity- knowledge of the game. I don't think Manning or Betts are anywhere close to Toures maturity and consistency level- which is what was sorely needed. 

This. Wandale is more of a prototypical shifty slot receiver, but Toure's got the talent to play wherever you need him. At Montana, he started at slot and moved outside. This year, with this overall group of receivers, the coaches decided they needed him in the slot the most. But if Wandale were still here, Toure would probably be playing an outside spot.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Toe said:

This. Wandale is more of a prototypical shifty slot receiver, but Toure's got the talent to play wherever you need him. At Montana, he started at slot and moved outside. This year, with this overall group of receivers, the coaches decided they needed him in the slot the most. But if Wandale were still here, Toure would probably be playing an outside spot.

Agreed.

Toure is just shifty enough to play slot but then also streak downfield and be tall enough/long enough to go up for a one-on-one ball.

He's really the full package, and I'm not saying I'm glad Wan'Dale left but with Oliver Martin healthy and Betts coming along I think I'd almost take Toure over Robinson with the formations Frost is running this season.

1 minute ago, SECHusker said:

This game isn't on Adrian. If anything he has been the reason our offense has done anything. Blame o-line and scheme. Still don't understand the rotation at WR or RB, or why our TEs aren't consistently targeted.

Did you listen to the broadcast? How many times did they call AM out for not finding the wide open TE

• Plus1 1