Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I got a text this morning out of Lincoln about a ****RUMOR**** that Adrian sustained a jaw injury in the first quarter on Saturday and might be missing some time.  Anyone else catching wind of something similar?

They took him out of the game for one series and took him to have xrays done.  He was cleared to play and played the rest of the game.

I would think that if something major was wrong, it would have been caught then and he wouldn't have played the rest of the game.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 2
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They took him out of the game for one series and took him to have xrays done.  He was cleared to play and played the rest of the game.

I would think that if something major was wrong, it would have been caught then and he wouldn't have played the rest of the game.

I would hope that is the case also, just wasn't sure if they did some sort of more in depth scan yesterday and found something that didn't show up immediately.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

No doubt our Oline isn't giving AM much help. 

However it's on AM to get rid of the ball quickly when he sees an open receiver. In this clip Austin Allen a 6'9" target is in his line of sight- wide open on a crossing route and AM does not throw- takes a sack instead. 

The pocket isn't going to be clean for 5 seconds AM- There are too many of these and yes as always we LOVE AM- great kid, works hard- gives us best chance to win etc etc

I think part of the problem is that it was 3rd and 8 and Allen was crossing at about 5 with Lb or safety trailing him.  Maybe in his mind he didn't want to throw short of the sticks.  Then at that point it was too late.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I got a text this morning out of Lincoln about a ****RUMOR**** that Adrian sustained a jaw injury in the first quarter on Saturday and might be missing some time.  Anyone else catching wind of something similar?

I got a text this morning saying that I've qualified for a free vacation at a Marriot resort. 

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think part of the problem is that it was 3rd and 8 and Allen was crossing at about 5 with Lb or safety trailing him.  Maybe in his mind he didn't want to throw short of the sticks.  Then at that point it was too late.

I get it. However if Martinez hits Allen in stride, he has the 8 yards pretty easily. There was room.  

25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I got a text this morning saying that I've qualified for a free vacation at a Marriot resort. 

That was TheSker trolling you.

LOL!

14 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I get it. However if Martinez hits Allen in stride, he has the 8 yards pretty easily. There was room.  

Maybe, but I do think @MyBloodIsRed16 is making a good point. Could at least explain why he didn't throw it to him. If he hits Allen and the LB drags him down shy of the marker, then we're probably on here ragging on Adrian for throwing to him in the first place.   :)

• Plus1 1

This is not meant to be an excuse for not throwing the ball.  But, I remember last year, he fumbled a number of times when he tried getting the ball out when the rush was coming down on him only to have it hit out of his hand.  Similar to the fumble he had in the MSU game.  It seems like many times when he's not throwing the ball to what some fans think is a clearly open receiver, the rush is right there beside him and he pulls it down trying to avoid the rush to get it out.

So, it's possible that in this play, he felt the rush, wanted to avoid that happening and tried to get out of the pocket to avoid a fumble while trying to throw.

I think it's pretty clear he doesn't trust his O line and that's for good reason.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think Adrian Martinez has had two good games in a row against top competition and despite a clearly substandard offensive line and run support. 

Substandard is putting it nicely. 

They're the worst pass-protecting team in the country (despite being blitzed on a low percentage of plays), they're bottom 10 in run blocking. They're among the most penalized in the country. 

Adrian is the entire offense, despite having nobody there to help him. It is not possible to overstate the dumpsterfire on OL. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

But I thought he had been getting worse all this time....

AM is having his best season as Husker by far and that’s a good thing.  Doesn’t mean he can’t get better at the basic QB things because he makes phenomenal plays when the play breaks down.  However, my question is this for the people who think AM is the greatest and deserves no criticism whatsoever.  If he is the TOP BIG QB and almost TOP 10 QB in the country and plays so exceptionally well….why can’t a QB with that pedigree lead the offense on a four minute or two minute drive ever when the game is on the line??

Apparently he plays so exceptionally well, except when it really really counts?   Do other Top 10 QB’s have that same issue?  

My point in bringing this up is that AM is the best QB in the BIG when the play breaks down, no doubt.  But a contending team needs the steady QB who makes the pre-snap read and delivers the ball on time too.  

It’s like the shortstop who makes the phenomenal plays and saves the pitcher on a bases loaded jam but buffs an easy grounder in the 9th inning with the game on the line.  It’s an area he has to improve upon.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

AM is having his best season as Husker by far and that’s a good thing.  Doesn’t mean he can’t get better at the basic QB things because he makes phenomenal plays when the play breaks down.  However, my question is this for the people who think AM is the greatest and deserves no criticism whatsoever.  If he is the TOP BIG QB and almost TOP 10 QB in the country and plays so exceptionally well….why can’t a QB with that pedigree lead the offense on a four minute or two minute drive ever when the game is on the line??

Apparently he plays so exceptionally well, except when it really really counts?   Do other Top 10 QB’s have that same issue?  

My point in bringing this up is that AM is the best QB in the BIG when the play breaks down, no doubt.  But a contending team needs the steady QB who makes the pre-snap read and delivers the ball on time too.  

It’s like the shortstop who makes the phenomenal plays and saves the pitcher on a bases loaded jam but buffs an easy grounder in the 9th inning with the game on the line.  It’s an area he has to improve upon.  

The team has to improve upon it. Not just him.