Insurrection fallout

51 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

:facepalm:

I guess I'll follow the victim farming post above with this doozy.  How about not being involved in a coup to overthrow our democracy, Pete?

Wouldn’t it be easier for the dude to show up and plead the fifth? Anytime a politician is in the crosshairs don’t they just say they “do not recall”? 

On 5/5/2022 at 3:49 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm willing to allow that Jan 6 was largely the work of yahoos who got carried away in the moment, but let's stop throwing those people under the bus and concentrate on the straight up, unambiguous multi-faceted coup planned and partially executed by the people in power. It could not be more damning. 

I know the Trump admin often acted like the keystone cops, but did they really think a bunch of fired up pawns storming the capital was going to accomplish anything? Aren’t most coups executed by the military, or maybe a well armed insurgency? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

I know the Trump admin often acted like the keystone cops, but did they really think a bunch of fired up pawns storming the capital was going to accomplish anything? Aren’t most coups executed by the military, or maybe a well armed insurgency? 

Idiocy isn't a defense though.

13 hours ago, nic said:

The right is filled with lots of people who  firmly believe a few guns in the basement are going to protect them from a tyrannical gubment. 

The lack of rational thinking is not a good defense. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

The right is filled with lots of people who  firmly believe a few guns in the basement are going to protect them from a tyrannical gubment. 

The lack of rational thinking is not a good defense. 

Wherever @nic got that take it's in an effort to minimize any criminal charges that those involved in the insurrection might face.  "It couldn't possibly be a coup attempt because it was only a ragtag bunch of hillbillies that stormed the Capitol.".  Of course that's changed since the days that it was Antifa or tourists.

Turns out Mike Pence's chief-of-staff was concerned enough that he alerted the Secret Service on Jan 5th about the possibility of a security risk towards Pence which then came to fruition.  

• Plus1 5

On 6/3/2022 at 4:54 PM, nic said:

I mentioned this in other posts, but you could throw out the Jan. 6 insurrection altogether, and Donald Trump's attempt to intimidate and coerce the secretaries of state in swing states to find him votes by any means possible is still more than enough to call it a straight up coup attempt. Forget the yahoos and look at what Trump's inside team had already put in motion to deny election certification. Just scroll back up through these most recent posts and you can see how seriously they took the attempt to keep Trump in office despite....you know....democracy. Figure in what GOP controlled states have already done and the likelihood of the GOP completing their minority rule sweep of the House and Senate, and this same coup will have accomplished everything they wanted. 

• Plus1 3