Biden Foreign Policy

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Moderate Democratic senators who face tough re-election efforts in red states next year have joined Republicans in calling on the Biden administration to immediately "freeze" the $6 billion in Iranian assets released last month for a prisoner swap.”

Calling for a freeze again and not just republicans this time. I am not sure what nuisances surround this $6B. I guess we were supposedly in control of how it was going to be used, but I am sure Iran could game the system. Maybe we should send the 6B to Israel (and Gaza after it is leveled) to help rebuild. That would be a kick in the Iranian pants.

• Plus1 4

27 minutes ago, nic said:

Maybe we should send the 6B to Israel (and Gaza after it is leveled) to help rebuild. That would be a kick in the Iranian pants.

Being as how Israel is under attack by Iranian trained and armed Gaza Palestinians at the present time, yes, that would be a kick in the Iranian pants, and then some. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
26 minutes ago, Hagg said:

Being as how Israel is under attack by Iranian trained and armed Gaza Palestinians at the present time, yes, that would be a kick in the Iranian pants, and then some. 

I'm all for freezing the money till we see what happens.

But, just to be clear, even if the money isn't frozen, it's not going to the Iranian government.  It will be paid directly to vendors who provide food and assistants to Iranian people.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, just to be clear, even if the money isn't frozen, it's not going to the Iranian government.  It will be paid directly to vendors who provide food and assistants to Iranian people.

I would imagine that would be easily corrupted, if someone wanted.  

Hopefully not.

• TBH 3

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

We should, of course, not trust that one iota.  There is an ongoing struggle, world-wide, to get monies from donated/provided sources to the intended recipients.  Jimmy Carter spent nearly every waking hour of his post-Presidential life attempting to thin out corruption with regard to that, in addition to fighting for fair elections in central America, as one example.  I was involved in a push for food and medical supply deliveries to sections of Uganda suffering from tribal mass slaughter and razing of whole villages and towns.  The struggle was with corruption at every level, not just armed war lords and thieves.  In Iran right now there are units who make demands of the sitting government, no matter who is in charge in the area, under the banner of Daesh, but who are just locals who have developed a steady stream of money and goods to their own special little bands of crooks. 

• TBH 1

On the plus side, the need to create a Palestinian state may become a moot point by the time Israel gets done exacting their revenge. They don’t mess around and their responses aren’t typically limited to any injustices done to them. I’ll be very surprised if this doesn’t result in all out war with Iran.

• TBH 1