Biden Foreign Policy

4 hours ago, nic said:

Not sure that this article told me why….or rather…why now. Disrupt normalized relations with the Saudis. Desecration of the Mosque. Get other anti-Israel groups on board. Anniversary of one of several times Israel beat back attackers.. I think Hamas wants Israel to engage Iran and really fire things up. I think the ‘why’ is simply to eradicate Israel. 

In the article, they specifically say they don’t know exactly why right now. But, all of those things could have played a factor. 

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

In the article, they specifically say they don’t know exactly why right now. But, all of those things could have played a factor. 

The article is where I got my list from. I guess the why is really rooted in the last 75 years....maybe thousands actually. The 'why now' we probably will not now. I found it curious that statements from Hamas  mention Iran's help. Sounds like Hamas wants to start a regional conflict if not more.

• TBH 1

3 hours ago, nic said:

The article is where I got my list from. I guess the why is really rooted in the last 75 years....maybe thousands actually. The 'why now' we probably will not now. I found it curious that statements from Hamas  mention Iran's help. Sounds like Hamas wants to start a regional conflict if not more.

You're never going to know the "why now", but this was probably an operation planned months if not years in advance. The date being a day after the 50th anniversary of the Yom Kippur war can't be a coincidence.

It is also a critical time for Israel as many of their IDF reservist were effectively on strike protesting Netanyahu Judicial overhaul. Hamas probably felt they had a golden opportunity with the Israeli military appearing to be in apparent chaos.

So can the USA 'fund' two proxy wars now?   I imagine Russia has a behind the scene hand in this.  Israel is a long term friend and any trouble there would force the USA's hand to help in some way.  Divert attention from Ukraine would be Russia's goal. 

• TBH 2
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

So can the USA 'fund' two proxy wars now?   I imagine Russia has a behind the scene hand in this.  Israel is a long term friend and any trouble there would force the USA's hand to help in some way.  Divert attention from Ukraine would be Russia's goal. 

we have sent a carrier group, a couple dozen more airplanes, and promised to send munitions already.   i think isreal makes their own military vehicles but they do use american planes if i remember correctly so we might send some of our 1500 mothballed f-16's their way.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, commando said:

we have sent a carrier group, a couple dozen more airplanes, and promised to send munitions already.   i think isreal makes their own military vehicles but they do use american planes if i remember correctly so we might send some of our 1500 mothballed f-16's their way.

And we've sent them quite a bit of money every single year as well.

42 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Climate people are the weirdest people.  

I never understood why destroying works of art is considered a good climate change protest. It only makes people think you are weird and annoying. 

• TBH 4