Gut Check Poll - Will Husker go to a Bowl Game in 2021

Bowl Game?  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 5/5/2021 at 12:16 PM, FrantzHardySwag said:

On offense quiet and reserved seems to win the day. Frost, Lubick, Adrian are probably the loudest voices and they are all really reserved. I really hope AM feels comfortable holding the offense accountable this season. Making sure the guys know they need to bring it. 

Seems the OL guys are trying to be more vocal and want to be in the image of the 1990s OL - mean, nasty and aggressive.

• Plus1 1

To go bowling, or to get to 6 wins, Illinois is a very, very, very important game.

Probable Wins: 4 games
Fordham, Buffalo, Mich State, Purdue

So if NU doesn't beat Illinois, then the Huskers have to dig up 2 wins against:

OU, NW, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Iowa

I would feel a lot better if the Cornhuskers can take care of Illinois, win the probable match ups, and only need 1 win from the remaining opponents.  It's likely that the Huskers won't be favored in any of those games, no matter where your heart is.

• Plus1 4
13 hours ago, admo said:

To go bowling, or to get to 6 wins, Illinois is a very, very, very important game.

Probable Wins: 4 games
Fordham, Buffalo, Mich State, Purdue

I would feel a lot better if the Cornhuskers can take care of Illinois, win the probable match ups, and only need 1 win from the remaining opponents.  It's likely that the Huskers won't be favored in any of those games, no matter where your heart is.

I think there's at least 3 wins in there and maybe even an upset if the football gods are done punishing us.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I wonder if this is even the best question for the huskerboard audience.  Better yet would be whether or not this group honestly thought we would be discussing a 0.500 year as "breakthrough" in Year 4.  I know many have significantly revised their expectations these past 3 years.  I can honestly say, I am very surprised.

To me, a Year 4 that falls short of bowl eligibility will set the table for a Make or Break Year 5 for this staff.  "Re-building" is not an umbrella for continuous and indefinite shortcomings.  

On 5/15/2021 at 12:13 AM, admo said:

We are where we are now. That’s just reality. I guess it’s a standards “correction.”   

But, 10 years ago, how many of us thought we’d be reading this and likely agreeing with it?   

I remember when Minny, Wisconsin and Iowa didn’t seem so scary.  

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

We are where we are now. That’s just reality. I guess it’s a standards “correction.”   

But, 10 years ago, how many of us thought we’d be reading this and likely agreeing with it?   

I remember when Minny, Wisconsin and Iowa didn’t seem so scary.  

Sip does a comparison wt OSU.   Scary how far we have fallen since 2010 much less 1999- our last conf championship.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-a-dose-of-reality-for-husker-fans-brooks-a-rare-force-and/article_cf38966f-8053-551a-bb16-5eb11f911886.amp.html

1 hour ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I wonder if this is even the best question for the huskerboard audience.  Better yet would be whether or not this group honestly thought we would be discussing a 0.500 year as "breakthrough" in Year 4.  I know many have significantly revised their expectations these past 3 years.  I can honestly say, I am very surprised.

To me, a Year 4 that falls short of bowl eligibility will set the table for a Make or Break Year 5 for this staff.  "Re-building" is not an umbrella for continuous and indefinite shortcomings.  

I was think the other day about if i would be excited if they go 6-6 and make a bowl game. Obviously it would be a good thing they would get a bunch of extra practices and would be a good way to send off all the super seniors who decided to come back. With that being said i dont know if I'll be jumping for joy at the end of the season in year 4 for a 6-6 record. Maybe if thet also get a win in a bowl game but it almost feels like frost missed the window where 6-6 is seen as a huge step.

3 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I was think the other day about if i would be excited if they go 6-6 and make a bowl game. Obviously it would be a good thing they would get a bunch of extra practices and would be a good way to send off all the super seniors who decided to come back. With that being said i dont know if I'll be jumping for joy at the end of the season in year 4 for a 6-6 record. Maybe if thet also get a win in a bowl game but it almost feels like frost missed the window where 6-6 is seen as a huge step.

How we miss those 9-4 seasons of Bo’s. I don’t miss the Bo drama but I wish we weren’t in this sad place 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I think our perception on a 6-6 season is highly dependent on how competitive we are in those losses.  For instance, if we're 6-6 and that includes getting our asses kicked by both oklahoma and ohio state like 60-10, gonna be pretty f'n depressed.  If we're 6-6 and those 2 games are more respectable- like a 38-24 loss to both, and we have some nice wins in the 6, then ill be feeling pretty damn good.

Couple things I want to see this year regardless of record:

• Win a couple games where we actually can play depth in the 4th.  When the hell was the last time we had a string of conference games where we could sit martinez and 2nd stringers get some run because we're up 35-10/35-14 with 10 to play?  Years
  • Just play respectable ball against for sure losses (oklahoma and osu).  The oklahoma game will be national tv, ohio st could be a nice network game if we're over 500.  I dont want to tune in again and the game is already over at 5:15 pacific time because they scored and martinez throws a pick 2 plays later to make it 14-0.  Not saying Im expecting a close game or for us to win, but just give me a reason to tune into the 4th for a change
  • Plus1 1
1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

I think our perception on a 6-6 season is highly dependent on how competitive we are in those losses.  For instance, if we're 6-6 and that includes getting our asses kicked by both oklahoma and ohio state like 60-10, gonna be pretty f'n depressed.  If we're 6-6 and those 2 games are more respectable- like a 38-24 loss to both, and we have some nice wins in the 6, then ill be feeling pretty damn good.

• Win a couple games where we actually can play depth in the 4th.  When the hell was the last time we had a string of conference games where we could sit martinez and 2nd stringers get some run because we're up 35-10/35-14 with 10 to play?  Years
  • Just play respectable ball against for sure losses (oklahoma and osu).  The oklahoma game will be national tv, ohio st could be a nice network game if we're over 500.  I dont want to tune in again and the game is already over at 5:15 pacific time because they scored and martinez throws a pick 2 plays later to make it 14-0.  Not saying Im expecting a close game or for us to win, but just give me a reason to tune into the 4th for a change

I'm not really that concerned how we play against Ohio State and Oklahoma because this team from talent to coaching isn't any where close to being equal with them. I'm more concerned about how we follow up those games. Does getting their a$$ kicked by OU then get followed up by a poor showing vs Michigan State a more winnable game? 

If Nebraska where to go 6-6 and beat Iowa and win a bowl game i think that would be a good year.

• Plus1 1

For most of us a "successful" season cant be defined by if we get to 6 wins and get to a bowl game. 

We want to see improvement in fundamental football, blocking, tackling, lining up correctly, getting snaps consistently. Seeing our guys not beat themselves with turnovers, untimely penalties and bad special teams. 

We want to see NU dominate teams they should dominate. We want them to compete with the average teams and show up to play- take some shots at the really good teams. We are looking for a team that can play physical and is reasonably mentally tough. We are looking for a team that can threaten deep a bit and can RUN THE BALL, especially when it really needs to. We are looking at making progress on clock management and play calling. 

We are patient- we are just looking for legitimate signs of structural progress being made. Not all 5-6-7 win teams look alike- they are headed in various directions- we are looking for legit signs that the light at the end of the tunnel exists and that we are making progress towards it. 

We better, Frost is another losing season away from being written-off as a bust by the college football world. If that happens it becomes all the harder to turn things around. Recruiting will dry-up, no good assistant would want to come here, and player confidence in the regime will dip. 

There is no excuse for not being more in-synch than an Illinois team in their very first game of new schemes and we be should be plenty motivated for them this year. A decently coached team starts 3-0. From OU on it obviously gets much tougher but we damn well should be able to manage three wins out of the last nine games.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

A lot in here I agree with.

But if the Huskers are good enough to play OU and OSU that close, I don't see them  losing 4 other games.  

• Plus1 1