Spring Game 2021 - The 3 Things You want to See/Learn

This spring season and spring game is the most pivotal in HCSF's career here at NU.  We have a very tough fall schedule and yet we must see improvement for any hope of returning to respectability and claiming a conference championship again (or even a 9-10 win season).  Due to players being out because of injuries we won't have all of our questions answered by the spring game but hopefully we can learn from it.

What are 3 things you want to see or learn from the spring game?

For me, my 3 things are:

1. Is there a RB in the pack ready to take a hold of that position and claim it as his?  Several out with injuries - not sure if we will have any satisfactory answer.

2. Is there a clear # 2 QB on the team or do we need to go to the portal for backup?

3.  What has been done with special teams to make that a more productive unit?

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

This spring season and spring game is the most pivotal in HCSF's career here at NU.  We have a very tough fall schedule and yet we must see improvement for any hope of returning to respectability and claiming a conference championship again (or even a 9-10 win season).  Due to players being out because of injuries we won't have all of our questions answered by the spring game but hopefully we can learn from it.

What are 3 things you want to see or learn from the spring game?

For me, my 3 things are:

1. Is there a RB in the pack ready to take a hold of that position and claim it as his?  Several out with injuries - not sure if we will have any satisfactory answer.

2. Is there a clear # 2 QB on the team or do we need to go to the portal for backup?

3.  What has been done with special teams to make that a more productive unit?

I would love the answer to #3 but we won't get it - they'll kick field goals/punts, but I thought they'd been been doing no rush/returns on punts. Maybe that's just kickoffs though.

Either way, when we're both sides of the special teams it's going to be really hard to tell if one element is good or just doesn't suck as bad as the other one. Like if we do live punts and consistently bury the returner right away, maybe it's improvement in coverage. Maybe our return team is just even worse than the coverage team. It's gonna be a question until the season.

17 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Either way, when we're both sides of the special teams it's going to be really hard to tell if one element is good or just doesn't suck as bad as the other one. Like if we do live punts and consistently bury the returner right away, maybe it's improvement in coverage. Maybe our return team is just even worse than the coverage team. It's gonna be a question until the season.

This is the biggest issue with taking much from the Spring Game especially on special teams and line play.  If the O line dominates, GREAT?  Or, is it that our D line is that bad?  

About the only things really I can imagine getting a grasp of is:

a). Is the WR room as big, athletic and good WRs as we are lead to believe?

b). Is there an RB that looks the part?
c). Can the backup QBs run the offense efficiently?

I know all those are on the offensive side.  But, we pretty much know what we are getting with the defense and hopefully they have continued to build on what they did last year.  For instance, if Manning beats CTB, it's going to be impressive because we already know CTB is a pretty good CB.

As far as things I want to see, any of the OLBs showing some quickness off the edge would be nice. Feels like Jojo is more of a blitzer than a rusher, and Nelson/Payne can be effective but aren't quick enough to to really stress an OT consistently. Maybe Payne will show more having had some time to acclimate and get healthy. Tannor has the talent but it's been hit or miss. So basically want to see if anyone young looks like an edge rusher should look - Gunnerson or Butler maybe?

I think Payne, Nelson, Tannor, and maybe even Jackson can provide enough pass rush to get by. But more than that would be nice, and would require either a big leap from those guys or a younger guy breaking through. Not going to be able to judge a ton, but hoping to at least see the athleticism.

@Husker in WI From the sound of things, Payne will be the main rusher this year, and he's been growing into the role. Don't expect him to be all-conference or anything, but serviceable. We're probably still gonna have to get pressure through scheme as much as anything, though.

• Plus1 1

1.  With Barry's gone, where is the hotspot going to be to watch the game?

2.  Will the prices of beer still be low on O street?

3.  Where will the hot girls, that are clearly not 21 yet, go now that Barry's is closed?

4.  Will I still convince myself that Elk Creek "doesn't get my buzzed"

5.  How many times will I say "Man, I wish I was in college again"

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

1.  With Barry's gone, where is the hotspot going to be to watch the game?

2.  Will the prices of beer still be low on O street?

3.  Where will the hot girls, that are clearly not 21 yet, go now that Barry's is closed?

4.  Will I still convince myself that Elk Creek "doesn't get my buzzed"

5.  How many times will I say "Man, I wish I was in college again"

Wait, Barry's closed?!  Is it vacant and how did I not know this?

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

As far as things I want to see, any of the OLBs showing some quickness off the edge would be nice. Feels like Jojo is more of a blitzer than a rusher, and Nelson/Payne can be effective but aren't quick enough to to really stress an OT consistently. Maybe Payne will show more having had some time to acclimate and get healthy. Tannor has the talent but it's been hit or miss. So basically want to see if anyone young looks like an edge rusher should look - Gunnerson or Butler maybe?

I think Payne, Nelson, Tannor, and maybe even Jackson can provide enough pass rush to get by. But more than that would be nice, and would require either a big leap from those guys or a younger guy breaking through. Not going to be able to judge a ton, but hoping to at least see the athleticism.

I thought Payne showed some good things last year but I wasn't necessarily expecting a huge jump this year.  But I had forgotten or didn't realize how many hurdles he had to overcome just to get on the field last year.  Got here later, switched positions, had injury issues and COVID to deal with.  But he seemed to be coming on later in the year.  That, plus a full offseason to train and work on skills does give me some hope that he can be a difference-maker to at least some extent.

• Plus1 1

Do people really watch and analyze the Spring Game as a harbinger for future success and potential depth chart?  Other than Bobby Newcombe going 80 yards on the first play of the 1999 spring game, I can't remember when a Spring Game meant anything to the upcoming season.

To me, it's a fun way to cap off Spring practices, and gives a lot of young guys and walk-ons the opportunity to get on the field at Memorial Stadium and have some fun.

• Plus1 1