Scott Frost's fate under new AD

Hagg

8 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

In the last 2 years I have been hesitant to drink the kool-aid and buy into the hype by the local sports writers, just because it seems annually there is a let down and once the curtain rises on the gridiron we are seen the true product, which isn't very good. But this year, seeing the videos of the players, they actually look like Big Ten football players. They look bigger and stronger, they look like athletes. Which is something much different then the past 10 years of Nebraska football. For the entire decade we've looked slower and smaller than just about any of our conference opponents.

To me, the biggest problem with the Frost era has still been in getting the roster turned over and getting the right players in place. Too many holes in too many positions. Having almost the entire defense back next year is huge IMO, though we still need a pass rusher.

The offensive side of the roster has been the bigger problem. I don't blame Frost for the O-line's regression in his second year - much of that was just a product of losing the last of Bo's guys. But I think Frost does deserve at least some blame for the collapse of the WR and RB squads. I don't blame him for Riley's guys leaving, but there's been way too many of Frost's own recruits leaving in those groups. What I don't really know is whether it's something Frost or the other coaches screwed up or if it's just rotten luck. I mean, obviously the reasons Wan'dale isn't on the team anymore are completely different than for Washington. I'm cautiously optimistic about the WRs, although depth could get scary in a hurry. The RBs, I don't even know what to think. I know we had some injuries and illness last year, but I still feel like having to play Wan'dale as the #2 RB is a big red flag - was there really no one else who could play, at a position that's usually fairly easy for new guys to adjust to? And though we've got a lot of guys who look promising for this year, we've also got a lot of guys with a history of injury issues.

Typically after the AD that hires a coach is let go after a few disastrous seasons, the coach is soon to follow.

I'm not saying I'm a proponent of Scott getting canned, I'm just saying that this is the usual plot of this movie, and people should mentally prepare themselves instead of persisting in delusion. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Typically after the AD that hires a coach is let go after a few disastrous seasons, the coach is soon to follow.

I'm not saying I'm a proponent of Scott getting canned, I'm just saying that this is the usual plot of this movie, and people should mentally prepare themselves instead of persisting in delusion. 

#4everFrosty

The best action our program can take is to let Frost serve his full 7 years and reevaluate after that. It shows that 1 We back our coaches and give them every opportunity to have have success. 2 it shows any potential new coaching hire that we will not abandon them when the water gets choppy. Nebraska can not afford new hire after new hire we need stability continuity with the coaching staff. Recruits would very leery of a program who only gives a coach 3 years to get back to what we was in the 90s.

Also Tom Osborne inheriting a back-to-back National Championship team that he was part of the staff with is a lot different than Scott Frost inheriting a gut shot Mike Riley .500 team. We need to give it time 4 years is not long enough. I know how this sounds but Frost has improved the program in every way except the win lose column. But I think we rake a big step forward this year and next.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

The best action our program can take is to let Frost serve his full 7 years and reevaluate after that. It shows that 1 We back our coaches and give them every opportunity to have have success. 2 it shows any potential new coaching hire that we will not abandon them when the water gets choppy. Nebraska can not afford new hire after new hire we need stability continuity with the coaching staff. Recruits would very leery of a program who only gives a coach 3 years to get back to what we was in the 90s.

Also Tom Osborne inheriting a back-to-back National Championship team that he was part of the staff with is a lot different than Scott Frost inheriting a gut shot Mike Riley .500 team. We need to give it time 4 years is not long enough. I know how this sounds but Frost has improved the program in every way except the win lose column. But I think we rake a big step forward this year and next.  

I'm with this statement bolded above. 

The only thing I would have changed is Moos extending Frost's contract to seven [7] years.  I think he needed to add in support for Frost by doing so ... which is fine.  For me, I would have been fine with letting him play out his full 5 years and then reevaluate after that.  Nebraska would have been better off in my opinion.  Now that he has seven [7], and we have had to endure 4-8 seasons, I agree, and think we really hurt ourselves to back out now and take such a huge hit.  I think it bodes well for the program to at least be able to sell the idea that we gave a coach and his staff seven years to prove themselves.

Thankfully, next season is a really easy schedule ... so with the best potential for success and with the team being "all his" and the most developed ... if he falters ... I think :bigredn: can hold their head high and know that Scott had been given all the resources and time necessary to be successful ... and he will still get more time [that's pretty fortunate in this day and age].

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Thankfully, next season is a really easy schedule ... so with the best potential for success and with the team being "all his" and the most developed ... if he falters ... I think :bigredn: can hold their head high and know that Scott had been given all the resources and time necessary to be successful ... and he will still get more time [that's pretty fortunate in this day and age].

We have one of the toughest schedules in the nation and THE toughest in the B1G?  I still expect improvement but success should be measured realistically knowing what the team is up against.  7 or 8 wins would be an accomplishment.    

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/husker-football-cracks-the-top-10-in-schedule-difficulty

• Plus1 2
34 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

We have one of the toughest schedules in the nation and THE toughest in the B1G?  I still expect improvement but success should be measured realistically knowing what the team is up against.  7 or 8 wins would be an accomplishment.    

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/husker-football-cracks-the-top-10-in-schedule-difficulty

he is saying the 2022 schedule. If we bring back the guys that can come back with extra year of eligibility etc we should be a 9+ win team honestly. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

7 seasons without results would be quite incredible. I would say Frost probably gets 5 seasons to make a bowl game, if that doesn't happen Nebraska moves on. The clock is officially ticking when it comes to results. Honestly I think we make a bowl the next two seasons, so it won't come down to replacing Frost. Context wise,  even places where it's impossible to win and have little to no history - get rid of coaches with 1-2 bowls in 5 seasons.

Lovie Smith 1 Bowl in 5 seasons at Illinois - FIRED

Derek Mason 2 Bowls in 7 seasons at Vandy - FIRED

Gary Anderson 0 Bowls in 3 seasons at Oregon St - FIRED

Kliff Kingsbury 3 Bowls in 6 seasons at Texas Tech - FIRED

David Beaty 0 Bowls in 4 seasons at Kansas - FIRED

I can't think of one example of blue blood retaining a coach after 4-5 seasons of no bowls. It barely happens at the schools where it's very difficult to win. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, RichardHangslow said:

Yes he is on a 7 year contract for a reason:  to get the program to where it belongs.  Releasing him as that is developing is too common all over the NCAA, as pointed out by user "The Dude" in an earlier post about how AD firings lead to HC firings. 

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

he is saying the 2022 schedule. If we bring back the guys that can come back with extra year of eligibility etc we should be a 9+ win team honestly. 

That would be correct.  I do see how Hedley went there.  My bad.

I will add, historically, I have always spoken bad and down to the B1G.  I'm not ad admirer of the conference.  I've always hated the B1G.   This season coming looks difficult ... not because it is such a strong conference ... but because :bigredn: has fallen from grace.  The team that would have rivaled us is OSU.  They have gotten to the place where we once were.  No other team in the B1G would be an issue for us if our program was where it is to be.  Sure, others have improved ... which is great.  Yet, our problem is us ... not that the B1G is oh such a tough conference or schedule.  I do think that the B1G is better now than it was back in the day ... but still ... our problem is us and losing our identity.  Had we stayed the course I don't know as if some of the other teams would have formed more of their identity and we would be hated more.  Now, we are easy W for folks as we are in our own head and self-inflict our own wounds.

18 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I follow but I'm not sure I would call 2022 really easy.  It's better than this year but playing in Ireland against NW to start won't be easy.  Having Oklahoma again with a veteran QB, playing at Michigan and at Wisconsin doesn't really scream easy schedule.  On top of that, there is a fair chance we have a first year starter under center.   

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RichardHangslow said:

Show your work. 

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

The thing is, in 2022 we're going to be saying this about 2024. 

• Plus1 2

Any smart AD will not claim we will play for national championships. He will also need a couple of years to evaluate whether Frost is putting the team into a position to win either by prepping for the game or in game coaching. He has to do those 2 things well because coming to the podium every week saying "I don't know what happened" or "we will fix it" is just garbage in my book.