Scott Frost's fate under new AD

Hagg

19 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

50% hope and kool aid.... 

Other 50%- I do whole heartedly believe the OL has been rebuilt, and rather impressively, might I add.  They're still incredibly young but the OL, to me, is the base of a team's success in football at every level and even more-so in the Big10.  Not only is the size and recruiting profile a significant improvement on what we had when SF arrived but I have confidence in the depth being built too where a few more recruiting cycles we truly see a 2 deep year in and year out.  Austin is starting to get more praise but I think he's done the best job out of all the positional coaches from a consistency and results standpoint.

The defense as a whole is serviceable enough this year to win a conf title IF (major IF), we have a top offense in the league (obvi 2-3/4ish with OSU being top most likely).... We're still missing a dude on the edge who commands a double team but I'm very pumped at the LB and secondary talent and depth.  

From an offensive standpoint, there's no way to sugar coat it, SF has struck out on the skill positions- some of it are misses and others are just ridiculous... Mo wash, if not an off the field head case, would be garnering national attention right about now based off what we saw... SF really needs the Toure/Manning/Martin to produce and in a big way.

Big picture, I feel like last year was such a cluster F of a year for all that it wont be held against SF too much.  The illinois game was an utter debacle that's inexcusable but for the most part, there are glimmers and signs of significan progress from where we were 4-5 years ago, it just rarely has come together at once and stayed there......

I'll say this then I'll get off ma broken and cracked soap box- I agree with the other posters its entirely dependent on the background of who theyre bringing in... A "Nebraska man" (hate that term that Michigan uses but I'm using it here) is gonna have a longer leash... Outsider, not so much... it does beg the question tho- what's the caliber of the coach they'd bring in and their openness to taking on this job?  The answer to this better be a significant upgrade over SF... let's not forget he was the coaching candidate to grab when we did and I'm approaching this job very apprehensively if a guy who knows the state and had a stellar track record prior couldn't get it done.

I believe a lot of the things you mentioned as well but we havent seen a level of execution or progress to put anything other than hope behind many of those things. I agree that the OL should be improved. We havent seen it yet so to me that currently sits in the hope and kool aid column etc. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

22 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Big picture, I feel like last year was such a cluster F of a year for all that it wont be held against SF too much.  The illinois game was an utter debacle that's inexcusable but for the most part, there are glimmers and signs of significan progress from where we were 4-5 years ago, it just rarely has come together at once and stayed there......

Sean Callahan keeps bringing up how much the Minnesota and Illinois games last year changed the feelings and perspective of where we're at.  Two games where we were big favorites but laid an egg.  5-3 with a big loss to Ohio State but one-score games against Northwestern and Iowa looks like we are very close to turning the corner.

Obviously those are huge ifs and it was pretty bad to play terrible in those games.  But it would be really interesting to know how these off-season conversations would be going in that alternate universe.

• Plus1 4
51 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Scott fired Bill and will be hiring the new AD. This isn't hard to figure from how things have happened. 

That notion reminds me of the (likely/rumored/probable) big money boosters' role in all of the firings over the past 20+ years.  Money speaks, but is very dumb.  The boosters are not necessarily dumb, but the money itself causes things to happen, decisions to be made, that are not always in the best interest as something as complex as a head football coach attempting to successfully ply his trade and develop his program over time. 

We've changed coaches and ADs so often in those decades that it seems impossible to assign full blame on the football program's failings on just the coaches.. the leadership itself has been trashed on the level of some banana republic trying to get their infrastructure modernized through several competing regimes over time;  it just cannot gel.. it cannot get a solid footing.

Now we have Scott Frost and his efforts and the loss column telling everyone that it's time for (another) new coach along with (another) Athletic Director.

• Plus1 1

I’m just spit ballin’ here but I would imagine the new AD’s leash will be shorter than Frost’s. I would think the powers that be will make it very clear that SF is untouchable for a predetermined period of time in the 1-3 year range. 

Or maybe they learned absolutely nothing over the last 20 years…

• Plus1 7
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m just spit ballin’ here but I would imagine the new AD’s leash will be shorter than Frost’s. I would think the powers that be will make it very clear that SF is untouchable for a predetermined period of time in the 1-3 year range. 

if it has taken us 20 years my hunch is they still havent learned haha 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The administration seems to be completely behind Frost.  I don't think that changes in the next few months, barring a complete collapse.

I can't imagine Ed Stewart taking the job with any expectation of having to fire Frost in six months.

• Plus1 6
17 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Exactly!  No AD is coming in with unilateral authority to change FB coaches.  Moos didn’t have it.  It’s just not happening at Nebraska with Frost here.    All this “hot seat” and “want their guy” BS from sports writers is just to sell subscriptions. 

• Plus1 6
  • Oh Yeah! 1

We have 1 gimme on our schedule this year, 4 we should be favored, 2 pick Em's, 3 underdog, and two severe underdog.

Schedule is brutal & we'll be improved and 6-6 or 7-5 at best.  We could be 4-8 or 5-7 and be vastly improved from a talent standpoint.  

Frost won't be fired based upon this years performance, unless we go 3-9 or worse.  Lay off the hard stuff & start smoking the peace pipe.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
10 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

We have 1 gimme on our schedule this year, 4 we should be favored, 2 pick Em's, 3 underdog, and two severe underdog.

Schedule is brutal & we'll be improved and 6-6 or 7-5 at best.  We could be 4-8 or 5-7 and be vastly improved from a talent standpoint.  

Frost won't be fired based upon this years performance, unless we go 3-9 or worse.  Lay off the hard stuff & start smoking the peace pipe.

So basically a bowl game or else things get a bit more interesting. Which I think we all expect us to be good enough to do. 

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So basically a bowl game or else things get a bit more interesting. Which I think we all expect us to be good enough to do. 

I agree with your logic, but if recent history is any indication of future performance, I wouldn't count any of our games as W's until the final whistle blows.  We haven't earned the benefit of the doubt back yet.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Cobra Kai said:

I agree with your logic, but if recent history is any indication of future performance, I wouldn't count any of our games as W's until the final whistle blows.  We haven't earned the benefit of the doubt back yet.

I dont disagree at all. Which is why I believe we are all running on hope and kool aid this offseason. I "think/hope" we will make marked improvement in several areas. Defense should be above average. OL "should" be improved, TE play should be solid, WR "should" be improved, QB play well we "hope" is improved and the total wildcard is that of RB as Held hasnt been able show us a back he can recruit yet that is in the more than serviceable category at this point.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

it is all I have left to run on when it comes down to it. I do think we will be better this year, I really do. But I also thought last year wouldnt be as bad as it was. 

I'm wt you.  I do think we'll be better but will the tough schedule hide it :dunno  It is time we win the games we were so close to winning in years past and win some games that might be considered an upset.   I think we have to go back to Tommie Armstrong and the upset vs MSU as our last upset win.  And then eventually we'll get to the point where there are no upset wins for a different reason ---- it is expected.   I still think next year will be our 'restore the order' year :restoreand it will start with a win over OU :ou1: in Lincoln.  If it doesn't happen next year, it won't happen under Frost.  

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I'm wt you.  I do think we'll be better but will the tough schedule hide it :dunno  It is time we win the games we were so close to winning in years past and win some games that might be considered an upset.   I think we have to go back to Tommie Armstrong and the upset vs MSU as our last upset win.  And then eventually we'll get to the point where there are no upset wins for a different reason ---- it is expected.   I still think next year will be our 'restore the order' year :restoreand it will start with a win over OU :ou1: in Lincoln.  If it doesn't happen next year, it won't happen under Frost.  

I am on board with that completely. 

I've felt burned when an outsider Callahan came in and changed the entire culture and identity of Nebraska football.

I felt relieved and excited to hear the news of Bo Pelini coming back to Nebraska, as to me it was someone who understood Nebraska football and was going to get us back to our winning ways. Looking back, the height of Pelini's career at Nebraska was after destroying Arizona in the Holiday bowl and he gave the speech that Nebraska was back and were here to stay. In the end, Pelini couldn't get the job done and although he managed 10-4 or 9-4 seasons during his time at Nebraska, they were maybe the most meaningless 9 and 10 win type seasons as we never beat better teams, beat the bad teams, and it was 50/50 on if we'd beat mediocre teams. The team and program had no identity.

I felt hopeless in hearing the news Nebraska hired an aging Mike Riley. Figured what a pointless hire given he was old already and nearing retirement, that even if he did turn things around, he'd be gone in a short time anyways for retirement. I held on to the hope that "He did a great job at Oregon State with nothing, imagine what he could do at Nebraska with all the resources Nebraska had." Also at this time I was hoping they'd invest in a young Scott Frost and give him a head coaching job. 

When Nebraska hired Scott Frost I was overjoyed. A shock of 90's nostalgia was shot in my Husker fandom and obviously his success at UCF made me think he'd be able to turn things around at Nebraska just as fast. The reality is that has not happened, but doesn't mean it can't happen. Have we had rough seasons, absolutely, these have been some bad times. But the bottom line is, Scott Frost is a Cornhusker. When we lose and we go through these hard times, which we are currently experiencing, and although I get annoyed with the podium talk after each game that it seems we are being sold that things will turn around the following week, at least I know Frost is emotionally attached and is speaking truth in his mind and heart. He isn't just giving coach speak and collecting a check like any of the above mentioned coaches and just like any other coach that would replace Frost, that wasn't a Cornhusker themselves.

So that is why I'm willing and will continue to support Frost and give him as much time as he wants to try and turn this thing around. Because what else is out there? Folks, it's time to take the red colored lenses off, something we as a fanbase should have done in 2003. Reality is, we are Nebraska and this isn't the 80's or 90's anymore. The rest of the college football world caught up to Nebraska and the sport has become so huge and so popular that we've been left at just that, Nebraska. We are in the middle of the country and don't offer much of anything other than a die hard fan base, which can actually be a negative when you're in a losing slump, and amazing facilities (Which just about every one else has now).

I love Nebraska, I love Nebraska football, whatever becomes my final resting place I will request the Nebraska N be engraved on it. But the reality is, unless you have that connection to the state or the program, it offers nothing compared to other programs in the country and even Big Ten. It's hard for us to see since we are Nebraska fans and we have that connection, but top athletes across the country? There just isn't anything really here. No other coach is going to come in here and suddenly have the magic formula to turning us back into the dominant powerhouse we were 20 years ago. I still feel Frost is that guy and coach that can make this place special again. 

• Plus1 3