Who do we hire?

14 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, it will be unfortunate, but having a great head coach is more important than a good/great DC. 

I'm all for giving Chins his shot at HC. Our defense likely wouldn't take a step back, and he would give consistency. Furthermore, after four years he knows the BigTen. 

Pay him $3M a year until he proves himself as a HC and call it a day.

2 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

I'm all for giving Chins his shot at HC. Our defense likely wouldn't take a step back, and he would give consistency. Furthermore, after four years he knows the BigTen. 

I hate the argument of "consistency".  Nothing against Chins, because he has improved the defense a ton.  But, at this point, NU needs a totally new voice at the top, and Chins would be too similar to the Frost voice.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I hate the argument of "consistency".  Nothing against Chins, because he has improved the defense a ton.  But, at this point, NU needs a totally new voice at the top, and Chins would be too similar to the Frost voice.

But you can get a new voice with Chins at the helm. This defense is playing at an elite level, without a legit pass rusher, I would be hard-pressed to throw that away. Besides it worked well with Dabo. And getting the right Off. Coordinator with this defense would make us a mean team.

44 minutes ago, teachercd said:

That is cool.  We used to do "Competition Tuesday" in football with different events, just to get kids competing.

We would break almost every drill into groups- competitions. When doing fit and freeze offensive team reps- we kept track of how many perfect plays in a row- competing against yourself. 

Positive reinforcement is great- has to be the majority of your communication with players. However some negative seems to work as well. I'm hoping Coach Frost comes off of his "no fear of failure" thing. 

When X was hurting us we would work the heck out of it- if that wasn't working we would try something else. One year it was fumbles- any time the ball would end up on the ground- everyone would take a short lap, including the coaches. Every player, didn't matter if you were in or not- It worked. 

13 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

If our defense keeps playing this good, he will be a head coach somewhere next year.  Kind of a moot point to discuss imo.  

Very true and Coach Chins has said he wants to be a HC. Expect an AAC or Conference USA team to come calling soon. They always seem to have openings. 

Then we would be left with our Offense and Special Teams. Not a pretty picture. If he does go, PLEASE PLEASE take Verduzco and Austin with. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Very true and Coach Chins has said he wants to be a HC. Expect an AAC or Conference USA team to come calling soon. They always seem to have openings. 

If we lose Chins, make zero other coaching changes, AM heads off for the next leg of his career, and we bring in the worst recruiting class in the B1G - next year might be the biggest dumpster fire in the history of the program.  

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

If we lose Chins, make zero other coaching changes, AM heads off for the next leg of his career, and we bring in the worst recruiting class in the B1G - next year might be the biggest dumpster fire in the history of the program.  

Mike Riley is turning over in his hammock. 

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, hagg said:

Mike Riley is turning over in his hammock. 

Hey, I said "might be"! But could you imagine what this team looks like without AM and if our defense was just average? We're 122nd in QB Sack %, our RB's are averaging 3.7 yards a carry, we're 114th in FG%, 96th in Kick Return defense, 130th (DEAD LAST ) in punt return defense, 128th in Net Punting. Not hyperbole to say we have the worst special teams in Power 5 football and one of the worst offensive lines. Just scares me to death to think about what this would look like without AM playing superman and Chin's defense balling out. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

No offense to Chinander, but we need a big name who is a proven recruiter. I like him as a DC, but as a HC? No. 

Many folks are blowing off our current lowly recruiting class as “no big deal,” but those folks are fooling themselves. 

9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

No offense to Chinander, but we need a big name who is a proven recruiter. I like him as a DC, but as a HC? No. 

Many folks are blowing off our current lowly recruiting class as “no big deal,” but those folks are fooling themselves. 

I think the recruiting thing is being overblown. While some level of talent is needed, development is needed more. Can't think of any team in our division that out recruits us annually, and yet we are the new whipping boy. Chins has something going where he able to develop a defense of mostly 3 players into something special.

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Ehh, Chinander has done a good job, but if the next head coach is great, he will have a staff of great assistants.  I don't think it ever works to force a new head coach to retain assistant coaches from the previous coach.  I didn't like it when Osborne recommended that Shawn Watson be retained by Bo, and in the long run, Watson was let go by Bo anyway.

I agree that it rarely works out if ever, but it would suck to get rid of a defense that is playing the way they are 14 yards in the half. Chinander is the best DC in the country I would like to keep him as long as possible. 

5 hours ago, SECHusker said:

I think the recruiting thing is being overblown. While some level of talent is needed, development is needed more. Can't think of any team in our division that out recruits us annually, and yet we are the new whipping boy. Chins has something going where he able to develop a defense of mostly 3 players into something special.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Every team that's won the NC over the past 15 seasons has had multiple Top 10 classes in the years preceding it, including at least one Top 5 class. Development is important too - and what we're sorely lacking - but you gotta be stockpiled with talent, and have the coaches who can get the maximum out of their players, to win championships. If the playoff format is expanded as rumored, and we hope to make the playoff, we have to have the talent to compete. Frost had been doing an OK job prior to this season. Ask Saban and Swinney if recruiting matters.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Every team that's won the NC over the past 15 seasons has had multiple Top 10 classes in the years preceding it, including at least one Top 5 class. Development is important too - and what we're sorely lacking - but you gotta be stockpiled with talent, and have the coaches who can get the maximum out of their players, to win championships. If the playoff format is expanded as rumored, and we hope to make the playoff, we have to have the talent to compete. Frost had been doing an OK job prior to this season. Ask Saban and Swinney if recruiting matters.

First things first.  We need to win the West.  Without doing that consistently we aren't going to recruit the type of classes you're talking about.

If we developed at an equal level to our recruiting rankings how many West titles would we have won?  We've consistently underperformed our recruiting rankings.  Get the development and execution details fixed then this thing has a chance to snowball into a program where top recruits want to play again.  

• Plus1 1