Frost needs fired

Also, we are all of a one-point underdog against a Top 10, undefeated team at the mid-point of the season.

We'll see if we play like it but this will be three of our last four games against undefeated teams that are against current Top 11 teams.  That's a tough stretch and many are giving us credit for playing pretty well.

• Plus1 2

54 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Close doesn't count.

Actually for Nebraska's season this year close does count, as both the Okie and the MSU game showed us huge differences (and portents of things to come as to effort and fire and all that) between now and last year and previous years with SF and predecessors.  "Close but still got the L" can be very educational as to the direction of the program.

1 minute ago, hagg said:

Actually for Nebraska's season this year close does count, as both the Okie and the MSU game showed us huge differences (and portents of things to come as to effort and fire and all that) between now and last year and previous years with SF and predecessors.  "Close but still got the L" can be very educational as to the direction of the program.

I'm not sure if the Michigan State game should be considered a positive since NU still lost.  Yes, the D played amazing, but I think Michigan State is a very overrated team. Yeah, they are 5-0, but the other 4 teams on their schedule this year have been awful. I would be surprised if Sparty ends up with more than 7 wins this season. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm not sure if the Michigan State game should be considered a positive since NU still lost.  Yes, the D played amazing, but I think Michigan State is a very overrated team. Yeah, they are 5-0, but the other 4 teams on their schedule this year have been awful. I would be surprised if Sparty ends up with more than 7 wins this season. 

Well yes I do agree that they're over rated and perhaps Oklahoma as well.  I think my feeling so impressed by those two games is what happened at the Illinois game;  that game told me (hopefully falsely) that we were no further in progress than several years ago and it was depressing.  Then we did pretty much what we were supposed to do in the pillow fight games, then we almost beat MSU and Oklahoma.  ... now this with Northwestern.  So, yes I feel a direction and it seems good, and it's largely there because of those two close losses.

5 minutes ago, hagg said:

Well yes I do agree that they're over rated and perhaps Oklahoma as well.  I think my feeling so impressed by those two games is what happened at the Illinois game;  that game told me (hopefully falsely) that we were no further in progress than several years ago and it was depressing.  Then we did pretty much what we were supposed to do in the pillow fight games, then we almost beat MSU and Oklahoma.  ... now this with Northwestern.  So, yes I feel a direction and it seems good, and it's largely there because of those two close losses.

My opinion and yours isn't that far off. However, NU needs to take this positive direction and win some more games this season. NU has very winnable games, but if it doesn't happen, it gives me huge concern if Frost has what it takes to build a winner here.

36 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My opinion and yours isn't that far off. However, NU needs to take this positive direction and win some more games this season. NU has very winnable games, but if it doesn't happen, it gives me huge concern if Frost has what it takes to build a winner here.

That crowd.. that score.. that whole thing last night carried me back quite a way.. I was overwhelmed by memories of times just like that when it was quite common at home games and was quite expected. 

Just now, hagg said:

That crowd.. that score.. that whole thing last night carried me back quite a way.. I was overwhelmed by memories of times just like that when it was quite common at home games and was quite expected. 

My opinion on rebuilding a program is that it goes in phases.

1)  Destroy bad teams.  NU has done that a few times under Frost, but has also struggled against bad teams.  Last night, NU beat NW's a$$, and that was awesome, because that didn't happen against Illinois.  Not only did NU not blow Illinois out, NU did the inexcusable and lost (of course, that game could be the fluke game of the season).  Plus, I hate Northwestern, as I think the media pumps up their success, but overlooks it when they have bad teams (which has happened a number of times under Fitzgerald), so I love anytime NU can blow them out.

2) Beat teams which your team should have a talent advantage over - I know Michigan State was favored against NU, but NU showed they were a better team in nearly every area except the scoreboard.  NU should consistently have more developed talent than a lot of teams in the conference. Frost has had that too many times in his tenure and that's frustrating.  NU needs to go out and beat Minny and Purdue this month, because NU should be better than these teams on a regular basis.  At this point in the season, Wisconsin looks like a complete mess and NU should have a solid chance to win that game, too.

3) Pull off a big upset.  NU played OU close, but didn't make the plays to win.  I know the Michigan game is a pretty low spread right now, but that would still be a big upset, given this year's records so far.  NU will have another chance to get a big win against Ohio State and Iowa (with both of those at home).

4) Win half of the games against you are evenly matched with.  If NU gets to a point of a very good program, then NU should have at max 4-5 games which I would call 50/50 games.  Then the overall season will depend on how NU does in those 4-5 games.

Nebraska was in a perfect position to win the U of Michigan game on Oct. 9th.  The last three plays by Nebraska were ridiculous, and 

they should never have tried a hail mary on the last play, but rather either a 50 yd field goal, or try for the first down.  I don't know who

called those plays, but they basically gave Michigan the win.  Having  rooted for Nebraska for over 60 years, and after last week I thought they

were on the way, but as one of the announcers said, Nebraska seems to just get in there own way.  A very sad finish for a team that worked

so hard for the win.

8 minutes ago, Fastrunner said:

Nebraska was in a perfect position to win the U of Michigan game on Oct. 9th.  The last three plays by Nebraska were ridiculous, and 

they should never have tried a hail mary on the last play, but rather either a 50 yd field goal, or try for the first down.  I don't know who

called those plays, but they basically gave Michigan the win.  Having  rooted for Nebraska for over 60 years, and after last week I thought they

were on the way, but as one of the announcers said, Nebraska seems to just get in there own way.  A very sad finish for a team that worked

so hard for the win.

What makes you think Nebraska could run the FG unit on the field and make a 50 yarder?  

I am still holding to what I said at the beginning of this year.  Frost must have a winning season (7-5) to retain his job.  I fully agree the team is more competitive but the trend of finding ways to lose games is simply not a coincidence.  The AD should evaluate Frost after 4 seasons no different than he would somebody with no prior ties to the program.  

• Haha 1