Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

6 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

O'Brien is a good coach. I really dont get people not liking him. I watched probably 90% of his games in the NFL and he took some terrible QBs to the playoffs, and then switched it up and ran a completely different offense to help Watson along when he was having trouble making reads and the oline was porous.  As much as people around here love to read into press conferences, he would do really well at that. The only thing I would worry about was I'm not sure if he likes or is good at recruiting or not. He would need a good DC and some good recruiting positional coaches. 

Wrong.  He is an OK coach.  7 wins, maybe 8 at Nebraska.  wow. 

Is that what you want to trade for?  He's an OC guy looking for HC job.  Any P5 HC job probably.  Huskers base would immediately get tired of this, and suck it up for 2-3 years while wanting a new HC hiring by year 3-4.  He's not the answer.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I think a lot of coaches, Campbell, Fitzgerald, Fleck, Fickel,  Ferentz etc have come to realize, like Patterson at TCU had, that sometimes its better to be the hero building something at a never been, and receive a lifetime contract making good money, than chase great money and be unemployed after 3 years.

Frost came, because this is home , otherwise he could have stayed  and ended up with a stadium named after him at UCF. Probably sometimes wishes he did. 

I honestly don't see Campbell leaving ISU barring a fallout with the administration. Fleck probably the same at Minny. Fitzgerald and Ferentz are already there. I think you'll see this more and more as parody has pretty much leveled the playing field and you have a chance as long as your in a P5 conference. I mean just look at Clemson and Baylor, Iowa State, why leave millions of dollars and piece of mind for a million more and no job security. 

Fleck just signed a huge extension with Minnesota so we do not need to worry about him (other than losing to him).  As for Campbell, many have pointed out that the Big 12 will be less relevant in the coming years when TX and OK leave the conference and when the BIG, Pac 12 and ACC for their "alliance" to counter the SEC.  I can see some Big 12 coaches looking to the other four P5 conferences as a way to "move up" in the coaching world.  

2 minutes ago, admo said:

Is that what you want to trade for?  He's an OC guy looking for HC job.  Any P5 HC job probably.  Huskers base would immediately get tired of this, and suck it up for 2-3 years while wanting a new HC hiring by year 3-4.  He's not the answer.

Depending what our options are I think that an 8 win coach for a few years that gets the culture back in order then leaves for the NFL doesnt sound too bad. I think he is good offensive coach that can work with what he has. Pair him with a good defense and get the program back on track then hire someone to take it to the next level.  I'm not saying he is my first choice but I wouldnt hate it. 

22 minutes ago, admo said:

You get lotto numbers on that crystal ball? Does Trev know you can correctly predict the number of wins a random coach will have at Nebraska - seems like your skill set is being wasted on message board predictions. 

17 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Depending what our options are I think that an 8 win coach for a few years that gets the culture back in order then leaves for the NFL doesnt sound too bad. I think he is good offensive coach that can work with what he has. Pair him with a good defense and get the program back on track then hire someone to take it to the next level.  I'm not saying he is my first choice but I wouldnt hate it. 

We aint going to school to be good.  We trying to be great!

You hire this guy and we going back to Callahan, full circle.  That's ridiculous.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

:facepalm:

Paper numbers that take dumps more impressive than Frost's contributions to record book

You just want anyone to come in, and wish they will be better?  How much better?  Or do you want to pull the rug out for a great coach?  What say you?

4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

You get lotto numbers on that crystal ball? Does Trev know you can correctly predict the number of wins a random coach will have at Nebraska - seems like your skill set is being wasted on message board predictions. 

Hey got fired, had no job, Sarkisian left Alabama, an opening occurred at OC, he got picked up.  Woo Hoo, let's hire him to bring greatness back to Nebraska.  Just think about it.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, admo said:

Hey got fired, had no job, Sarkisian left Alabama, an opening occurred at OC, he got picked up.  Woo Hoo, let's hire him to bring greatness back to Nebraska.  Just think about it.

He got fired for being a bad GM. Not a bad coach. And he did well at a school that had essentially received the closest modern equivalent of the death penalty.

Plus one of the perks of him attending the Nick Saban School for Kids Who Want to Learn to Coach Good and Do Other Things Good Too is that he is getting additional experience in how the best program in this era is run so he can take that experience and apply it here with a seasoned staff supporting him rather than trying to go it alone like the last couple years in Houston.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
  • Enhance locked and unlocked this topic