Could Myles Brennan save Frost's job?

25 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Is the offensive philosophy the problem or is it how it is called in the game that is the problem?  I’m leaning toward the latter being the biggest problem.   It’s where I think Lubick can help if he’s given full reins to do so.  

I just think it’s a lack of consistency across the board from play calling to players running the plays. We don’t have anything I would consider to be our “bread and butter”. Our co #1 RB  to start the year is nowhere to be found and our #4-5 are now #1-2 midway through the season. That’s not normal. We returned multiple starters on the o-line that are now benched midway through the year. Honestly I think Frost’s offense looked good in year one but it seems he’s shifted his philosophy to suit the B1G better (which is the exact opposite of what he said he was going to do) and it just hasn’t really clicked. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Hypothetically speaking, let's say that Frost reaches out and is able to secure Brennan's commitment for next year. Would that be enough to keep Frost another season?

Heck, even if Frost isn't here, we're gonna need a QB.

No. 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

He would know he’s here for another year before he reaches out.  

Perhaps not... perhaps during his meeting with Trev, his argument is that he's going to get a new QB, like Brennan or Rattler, and Trev says, "OK, if you're able to land him, I'll give you one more year."

In the end, it's all too much of a risk. Brennan's biggest problem is that he's been injury-prone. One big hit, and then what? 

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Perhaps not... perhaps during his meeting with Trev, his argument is that he's going to get a new QB, like Brennan or Rattler, and Trev says, "OK, if you're able to land him, I'll give you one more year."

which solves none of the in game adjustments/play calling issues, the OL issues, the lack of development at RB and WR and OL , player rotation issues, and the lack of consistency on the O side of the ball due to all of those issues. 

• Plus1 3

Wins can save his job. This year wasn't about keeping games close, or getting a grad transfer QB, or getting a new OL coach. This was the year we had to prove we could beat Illinois, beat Purdue, beat Minnesota, beat one of the West gatekeepers in Wisconsin and Iowa - and it's looking like we flat out aren't good enough to do it. It's nothing personal against Frost. I don't wish bad things for him. You tried, you weren't good enough (barring a miracle),  the time is about here to let someone else try. All this last ditch effort s#!t at the end of year 4 is like trying to fix a wheel-less Bike by putting a new seat on it. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

which solves none of the in game adjustments/play calling issues, the OL issues, the lack of development at RB and WR and OL , player rotation issues, and the lack of consistency on the O side of the ball due to all of those issues. 

^THIS^

Replacing Martinez with a more competent quarterback helps patch about 20% of the hole in our sinking ship. Until those myriad other issues are corrected, we'll continue seeing to 3- to 5-win seasons for the foreseeable future. And if Trev can't see this, then his time is Lincoln is going to be very brief.

Wait...so tell me why again we go after a grad transfer when we supposedly have a good QB in Smothers? Or is Smothers not that good at all, which explains why he didn't start when Martinez was playing hurt at Minny?

I guess I just don't understand why almost all of the teams we faced this season seem to be okay with putting in a second or third string QB and doing well, but we don't think we can win with our second string, highly-regarded QB? And why we'd need a grad transfer QB when we supposedly have a good one sitting on the bench?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Wait...so tell me why again we go after a grad transfer when we supposedly have a good QB in Smothers? Or is Smothers not that good at all, which explains why he didn't start when Martinez was playing hurt at Minny?

IDK if anyone heard Gary Sharp yesterday, but he referenced a convo with a source that's "at practice everyday"....

Gary: Tell me about Smothers

Insider: Not gonna happen, not ready, not the guy. Offensive staff hopes Haarberg is the guy, but he hasn't developed quick enough.

• Plus1 7
5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

IDK if anyone heard Gary Sharp yesterday, but he referenced a convo with a source that's "at practice everyday"....

Gary: Tell me about Smothers

Insider: Not gonna happen, not ready, not the guy. Offensive staff hopes Haarberg is the guy, but he hasn't developed quick enough.

Can’t remember if it was a 247 writer or a Rivals writer, but back when Luke transferred, one of them quickly shut down the speculation that Luke may have left because we asked him to change positions. Said Luke was still far and away the #2 QB here and the staff wouldn’t have asked him to be a gadget guy.

Sounds like Haarberg does have some real potential though at least.

• Plus1 1

A lot mountain climbers quit within sight of the peak.

Frost needed to learn how to coach in the big leagues. Smart people knew that during the honeymoon phase.

Now we're invested in the bottom end of the learning curve , and we're going cut him loose so someone else can enjoy fun part, the upper end of the learning curve?

Doesn't make sense.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1