Rivals says these are you new coaches...

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

The NCAA also gave Penn St players a free transfer with eligibility to play right away. So they lost a QB with starts, their best RB, their best WR, their starting TE, a starting LB, and an all B1G Kicker - among other depth players, and three 4-star recruits. 

Good thing they had a fully stocked cabinet to fall back on. Matt MCGloin, Allen Robinson, Zach Zwinak, and others ended up being pretty good players. 

Everyone expected more to transfer from Penn St. than actually did. 

They also only faced 3 ranked teams that year in No. 24 Northwestern, No. 9 Ohio State, and No. 18 Nebraska. Easier than the schedule we face next year that everyone says we better go 8-4. 9-3 or better in. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Penn_State_Nittany_Lions_football_team

Again- he did ok, given his circumstances.

Don't even care at this point. I thought Frost was the savior and I said many times that I thought if Frost couldn't do it, no one could. I was fully emotionally invested in every single Nebraska head coaching search since Nebraska fired Solich and so far no hire has gotten us back to Osborne days, which is the goal of each hire. I was excited about the Pelini and Frost hire, optimistic about the Callahan hire as he was an NFL coach and had coached a team to the Super Bowl, and I was devastated at the Riley hire because I just didn't see the long term positive of hiring a coach who was nearing retirement. 

So this go around I don't care, whoever they hire they hire, whatever they decide to do they decide to do. I'd like to think there is no way we could go down, but at the same time I thought the same thing after we got rid of Riley. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Don't even care at this point. I thought Frost was the savior and I said many times that I thought if Frost couldn't do it, no one could. I was fully emotionally invested in every single Nebraska head coaching search since Nebraska fired Solich and so far no hire has gotten us back to Osborne days, which is the goal of each hire. I was excited about the Pelini and Frost hire, optimistic about the Callahan hire as he was an NFL coach and had coached a team to the Super Bowl, and I was devastated at the Riley hire because I just didn't see the long term positive of hiring a coach who was nearing retirement. 

So this go around I don't care, whoever they hire they hire, whatever they decide to do they decide to do. I'd like to think there is no way we could go down, but at the same time I thought the same thing after we got rid of Riley. 

Honestly, we all thought that when the decision was made to fire every single coach since Osborne. - We can't get worse. Guess what- we did. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Hiring O'Brien would give the same excitement, or less, as Mike Riley. No way he out-recruits most of the B1G for the athletes we would need to compete for the West. Losing record for at least 2 more years, over under for wins after that is a solid 6. 

We've literally seen THAT movie already. 

No thanks.

Really?  Wow, see I think he would recruit at a level that was pretty much better than we ever have seen.  This would be a guy with NFL ties, college ties, trying to prove he is a badass coach again and would hire a staff that would crush it on the recruiting trail.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Good thing they had a fully stocked cabinet to fall back on. Matt MCGloin, Allen Robinson, Zach Zwinak, and others ended up being pretty good players. 

Everyone expected more to transfer from Penn St. than actually did. 

They also only faced 3 ranked teams that year in No. 24 Northwestern, No. 9 Ohio State, and No. 18 Nebraska. Easier than the schedule we face next year that everyone says we better go 8-4. 9-3 or better in. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Penn_State_Nittany_Lions_football_team

Again- he did ok, given his circumstances.

Yeah the mass exodus and stuff like that was not as big of a deal as the media tried to portray it, he basically had a strong two-deep.  

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Really?  Wow, see I think he would recruit at a level that was pretty much better than we ever have seen.  This would be a guy with NFL ties, college ties, trying to prove he is a badass coach again and would hire a staff that would crush it on the recruiting trail.  

Callahan, Pelini, Riley and Frost all have strong NFL ties. Perhaps none better than Riley. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Callahan, Pelini, Riley and Frost all have strong NFL ties. Perhaps none better than Riley. 

BC recruited really well

So did Bo, even though people will tell you he did not (Rex, Ameer, RG, David, Gomes, Haag, SJB, Bell, Westerkamp, Ziare Anderson (I think), Asanta, Morgan, Quincy...I think a few of his OL made the NFL but I could be wrong.

Riley recruited well according to rankings but that ended up not being good.

• Plus1 2

On paper Riley looked pretty good. He was a pretty successful coach at a place that was very limited in their resources, made even more clear after Riley left and they dove right to the basement of the PAC-12 and only recently started to become competitive again. Like they sold to us, "Look what he did at Oregon State with no resources, imagine what he can do at Nebraska." It's an easy thought to sell, because it makes sense. He was a long time head coach, his assistants had decades worth of coaching and recruiting, yet besides one year we were awful. 

On paper Frost seemed to be a great hire, but it is obviously not working out right now. So I think we have learned that you just never know how things are going to work out and there is a curse.

• Plus1 1

I thought Riley and Frost were good hires and I hate the thought of BoB getting hired which means BoB would probably be a slam dunk.

BoB did a really nice job at PSU and was a good coach at Houston until he decided to take over GM duties which was a terrible idea.  The Saban car wash effect just can't be ignored.

• Plus1 1

59 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I thought Riley and Frost were good hires and I hate the thought of BoB getting hired which means BoB would probably be a slam dunk.

BoB did a really nice job at PSU and was a good coach at Houston until he decided to take over GM duties which was a terrible idea.  The Saban car wash effect just can't be ignored.

Wasn't Pruitt a Saban guy before he went to Tennessee and failed spectacularly? Working under Saban doesn't always equal success. 

O'Brien wouldn't do much better than Frost.

• Plus1 1
On 11/3/2021 at 2:32 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

FYI:  This was Mike Farrell in 2014 upon Nebraska hiring Mike Riley

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell tweeted that the hiring is a "home run."

"I don't think Huskers fans realize what a well-respected game coach Riley is and how hard it is to win in Corvallis," Farrell wrote.

I would've then slapped myself for writing that.  Constantly.

Forever.

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

BOB would recruit at a level we haven’t had since Callahan.   Those that say he can’t recruit have no idea what they are talking about.  

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

What???

Callahan had 9 years of NFL experience before Nebraska. Pelini also had 9 years of NFL experience. Riley had 4. Frost has zero years of NFL experience as a coach.

Also, Callahan was an incredible recruiter. Pelini did pretty good and he didn't even try. Riley didn't, and Frost has had four straight top 20 classes. So I mean, per the point you're trying to make, O'Brien would probably get the best recruiting results we've seen in 20+ years.

• Plus1 3