Sipple - Frost to make “multiple changes” on his offensive staff…

Just now, krc1995 said:

I don’t even know who Beckton is.  Must be cause he’s doing ok 

Interesting thing about Beckton: he played for UCF, and was the lone holdover from the O'Leary staff when Frost took over. And now he's the only offensive coach Frost hasn't fired.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

we could do a lot worse than Peetz and Dailey fwiw. Both are P5 coaches, Dailey at Boston College as WR Coach and Peetz as the OC at LSU and a decade of coaching experience in the NFL notably as a QB Coach. 

Yeah I get that, and I've heard good things about Ganz at UNI as well.

But we're well past the point of trying to only do what's comfortable and reflexively dip into ex-Huskers to round out our staffs. We need to pony up and bring in the best we can get, not some guys we're comfortable with who might work out. We've had four years of comfortable. Comfortable ain't working.

• Plus1 1

It sounds like Frost is getting a 2nd chance to get the staff right, and he is also looking to restructure his contract.  I am hoping this means he will let go of some of the OC responsibilities and hire a big name offensive coordinator that will help identify the rest of the offensive staff.  If he is truly acting like a CEO he will focus on the next in line positions (coordinators) and listen to those with more experience.  He is lucky to be at Nebraska as most other programs would have canned his butt by now.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
32 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I do think the one thing these immediate firings probably do confirm is that Frost is willing to overhaul his entire offensive scheme.

You don't make these kind of changes on one side of the ball unless you're willing to try something different.

Here's hoping they find a power running game for next year.

That's my hope.  Power run game with 12 personnel....Use the TE's in the redzone.  POWER RUN game is a must in the B1G.  TBH, I can't wait.   

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

As I have said all along, I think making staff level changes of this magnitude in Year 4 makes little sense.  What is failing now, was failing before.  The only thing that has changed between Year 2 and now is the sense of urgency the Head Coach feels to preserve his own job.  This was negotiated and is not supported by the Head Coach.  That is concerning to me as it also means he does not know how to diagnose and solve the problems plaguing the program.  

Moreover, and as a result of these terminations today, we now have the scenario I have painted many times; a built-in rationale for failure in 2022.  Offensive scheme transition will now be the culprit for our struggles next year.  As they will say, it takes time to implement a new system and one cannot expect results immediately.

Make no mistake, I think the staff changes will not alter our present course and we will ultimately be confronted with the same decision 1 year from now.  Coach Frost is right about one thing, we are close....to a new coaching staff coming aboard in 12 months.

I don't see these staff changes representing any kind of scheme change.  Its about improving via fundamental, sound football, and we haven't done this in years. 

Has Frost ever worked with Bill Callahan?  That seems like a homerun hire for a one year assignment.

Pay him $2 million to return as OC, fail, and then return to the NFL as an offensive line coach.  The other possibility given that this will be a one year assignment is Bobby Petrino.  Both have resumes a mile long and are always looking to add another unique assignment.  They both are also allergic to staying in one place too long.  

The best part is that neither needs to buy a home in Lincoln.  Extended Stay or Marriott Bonvoy should cover their time here.  

• Oh Yeah! 1

Wonderful news!! I’d have only held onto Held for his recruiting abilities, but all 4 of these guys positions didn’t do anything.

All four of those coaches could apply and get hired as magicians in Vegas.

The entire offensive line was a vanishing act each snap.

We heard how great our WRs were and we only hear TE’s and Toure’s name at games.  

The running backs, what running backs?

Verdu may be the most talented magician of all, he can literally stop time as Martinez hasn’t aged or developed since his Freshman year and we don’t have any backup QB’s that are better apparently.

2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I don't see these staff changes representing any kind of scheme change.  Its about improving via fundamental, sound football, and we haven't done this in years. 

I thought bringing in Lubick would resolve these fundamental issues, loan issues I mean.

For years, players were struggling with their FICO scores.  Credit ratings have steadily improved during his time here...