Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

21 hours ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... Iowa had the B1G Defensive Back of the Year, two DBs on the All-B1G first-team and a third that was on the second team.

I don't know if he's going to face many more "elite" DBs than he did that game.

...in his first game. Hard for them to prepare for a guy that had zero film on. They seemed to figure him out more as the game progressed. But, I hope you're right.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, lo country said:

My concern is the Whip offensive scheme predicated on a pass first concept.  PFF had our OL score their highest grades in run blocking with 1 or 2of our OL guys actually scoring 0% in passing during some games.  Unsure how Raiola and Co fix that enough to support passing the ball more. But looking at the W-L record, we were pretty much combat ineffective in every facet of our team the past several years.....

I am hoping the comments about Austin basically doing nada were true and Raiola can at least make theme average.  Losing our starting center will leave a mark moving forward IMHO.

Yes there are ample reasons to be worried.  Most troubling is why it took 5 plus years for Frost to conclude Austin, Held and Verdu were not good enough.  On the job learning might be OK at UCF but Frost should have known it wasn’t enough for DONU and the Big Ten.  He reportedly insisted it was all or none in his hiring (he and entire staff).  Some suggested this could be an issue at the time of course but I’m sure Moos was under great pressure to get Frost at whatever terms he could (taking staff plus letting them coach the bowl first despite the recruiting conflicts, and most coaches got pay doubles I believe.  And some raise along the way thereafter.  
All water under the bridge and we are moving ahead, with serious changes, assuming SF let’s the new OC etal do things differently.  It seems likely, but Scott will be quite courageous to turn over his coaching future to three guys he barely knows and barely know each other.  Were Whipple and Raiola his first choices?  Or the ones he could get?   Why or why not?  Will likely never know.  Gotta hope.  

3 hours ago, huskerfan99 said:

I’m all for another QB. More talent the better imo.

Two transfer QBs? If that's the legit info, you have to think Whipple doesn't like what he's seen on film from our current guys. TBH, I feel like that's the kind of thing that could spark an exodus of current players. I feel like if you really need that much help, it would make more sense to take one guy now, and then wait until after you've had a chance to evaluate guys in spring to see if you really need another.

19 minutes ago, Toe said:

Two transfer QBs? If that's the legit info, you have to think Whipple doesn't like what he's seen on film from our current guys. TBH, I feel like that's the kind of thing that could spark an exodus of current players. I feel like if you really need that much help, it would make more sense to take one guy now, and then wait until after you've had a chance to evaluate guys in spring to see if you really need another.

Only if you’ve got a feeling one or more of the current QBs are looking at leaving.   You need 5 QBs in the room, 1 good thrower for scout team purposes and 4 to run you’re game plan O.  Ideally spread over 3+ years age-wise.  Imo ideally a guy starts his Jr and Sr years backed up by a Jr/sr type.  3rd will be red shirt soph or fr.  
Four year starters are not a good idea unless you’re desperate and your frosh is a once in a decade like talent running a run-first, pass second scheme.  Not Neb anymore certainly 

11 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Only if you’ve got a feeling one or more of the current QBs are looking at leaving.

Well, one already did, and after that I would think Smothers is the only guy in question. I mean I can't see Haarburg, a Nebraska kid, leaving just like that, nor can I see Tores leaving before he even hits campus. :)

41 minutes ago, Toe said:

Well, one already did, and after that I would think Smothers is the only guy in question. I mean I can't see Haarburg, a Nebraska kid, leaving just like that, nor can I see Tores leaving before he even hits campus. :)

Vedral left as a junior being a AM injury away from the starter role , to Rutgers.  A slight step up as it turns out but?   
Adrian leaving, for me, is hard to understand, unless Frost told him he was NOT going to be the starter, for reasons unknown, or his injury was bad enough to prevent full recovery by fall. Maybe he transferred to KSU for grad school and marriage not football spirations?  
Things are just quite odd in Lincoln these days. 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Vedral left as a junior being a AM injury away from the starter role , to Rutgers.  A slight step up as it turns out but?   
Adrian leaving, for me, is hard to understand, unless Frost told him he was NOT going to be the starter, for reasons unknown, or his injury was bad enough to prevent full recovery by fall. Maybe he transferred to KSU for grad school and marriage not football spirations?  

I think all involved were ready for a change.  I think that’s solely the reason. A smothers start was better than rinse wash repeat. So find better or role smothers. End of story. 

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Only if you’ve got a feeling one or more of the current QBs are looking at leaving.   You need 5 QBs in the room, 1 good thrower for scout team purposes and 4 to run you’re game plan O.  Ideally spread over 3+ years age-wise.  Imo ideally a guy starts his Jr and Sr years backed up by a Jr/sr type.  3rd will be red shirt soph or fr.  
Four year starters are not a good idea unless you’re desperate and your frosh is a once in a decade like talent running a run-first, pass second scheme.  Not Neb anymore certainly 

You do realize decent QBs don't wait to play until their junior year anymore, right?

9 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The fan base was clamoring for someone - ANYONE - other than Adrian. Wouldn't surprise me if Trev hinted to Frost that in addition to staff changes, there were some other changes that needed to be made, as well. A big debate has always been who the real problem is, Frost or Martinez. We're about to find out.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, Hilltop said:

You do realize decent QBs don't wait to play until their junior year anymore, right?

I realize that too many think they are ready but are not.  So they transfer into situations that have them restarting a new offense and new depth chart.  How many actually make the NFL even after 4 years of playing?   A small fraction of the hundreds of QBs on top 75 teams.  

Their best chance is to pick a school and work their way up and play when ready.  Imo.  Somebody needs to explain this to every recruit with hard data/ facts.  

Vedral left because he rightly knew Frost wouldn’t give him a legit chance. Adrian was his one and only guy - period. Win or lose a lot.  Imo. Coaches must be frank, open, honest, fair and realistic with every player today.  If guys think they deserve to start right away, they better be a top 5 recruit, for real.  Teams will win more with QBs who don’t make costly errors frequently in games with comparable talent all across the teams. Imo.  

9 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I realize that too many think they are ready but are not.  So they transfer into situations that have them restarting a new offense and new depth chart.  How many actually make the NFL even after 4 years of playing?   A small fraction of the hundreds of QBs on top 75 teams.  

Their best chance is to pick a school and work their way up and play when ready.  Imo.  Somebody needs to explain this to every recruit with hard data/ facts.  

Vedral left because he rightly knew Frost wouldn’t give him a legit chance. Adrian was his one and only guy - period. Win or lose a lot.  Imo. Coaches must be frank, open, honest, fair and realistic with every player today.  If guys think they deserve to start right away, they better be a top 5 recruit, for real.  Teams will win more with QBs who don’t make costly errors frequently in games with comparable talent all across the teams. Imo.  

Frost wouldn’t give Vedral a chance?:blink:

He literally benched Adrian and had Vedral start a couple games.