Gotta hand it Frost (and the new hires)

36 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I think a competent kicking game like you said, combined with a QB who doesn’t piss down his leg in crunch time and better play calling will lead to an 8 win season this coming year.  

I agree. With this schedule 8 or 9 should be expected. Less than 8 and I’m okay with a complete reset.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, The Dude said:

You're welcome to believe that.  Just don't be surprised if we win more games with Whip and Thompson.

And not fall flat on his face in crunch time.

Agreed

The Michigan and Purdue games changed my view of Martinez.

Then when I saw his turnover stats....holy crap.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Comish said:

It will be interesting if Vegas shares that Sunny optimism...

I doubt they will and that wasn’t optimism speaking. I just think that is what should be expected of Frost this coming season. Quite a bit of difference between that and what I think might happen. In fact I have no clue what will happen and I really don’t have any expectations. This team has taught me to expect nothing.

On 2/5/2022 at 3:05 PM, JJ Husker said:

When you consider that even a remedial kicking game would’ve won us at least 3 more games, your narrative really doesn’t hold up either

Oh we would have won way more than that if the QB didn't turn the ball over at an alarming rate and at least occasionally showed up in crunch time.  Not just in 2021.

Even then I don't fully blame Adrian.  I think it was mostly Frost trying to make him Milton when that wasn't his game.

• Plus1 2
On 2/5/2022 at 4:24 PM, JJ Husker said:

I agree. With this schedule 8 or 9 should be expected. Less than 8 and I’m okay with a complete reset.

I am simply hopeful for 7+ regular season wins. That and a year of Busch and Joseph recruiting will get us back to a top 20 class. Thompson here for 2 years should make for the potential for a great 2023. Again that all depends on how 2022 goes though. Regardless of who the HC is in 2023 I want Busch and Joseph on this staff. 

3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I am simply hopeful for 7+ regular season wins. That and a year of Busch and Joseph recruiting will get us back to a top 20 class. Thompson here for 2 years should make for the potential for a great 2023. Again that all depends on how 2022 goes though. Regardless of who the HC is in 2023 I want Busch and Joseph on this staff. 

Can’t disagree with that but I’m more concerned about the team finishing ranked in the top 20 than the recruiting. Sure to some extent they go hand in hand but, with the portal and NIL deals, retention of recruits, development and success in the portal is probably more important than any point in time recruiting ranking. But you are correct, we need Jimmies and Joes too.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Can’t disagree with that but I’m more concerned about the team finishing ranked in the top 20 than the recruiting. Sure to some extent they go hand in hand but, with the portal and NIL deals, retention of recruits, development and success in the portal is probably more important than any point in time recruiting ranking. But you are correct, we need Jimmies and Joes too.

we need a few top 2 rd draft picks on the roster more years than not. The last 1st rounder at NU was recruited by Bill Busch. 

On 2/2/2022 at 1:56 PM, runningblind said:

Here we go with the kool-aid pumping.  I am excited to see what the media department and the sports writers will come up with between now and August.  I am not buying any of it until I see it.  

Enjoy sitting on the sidelines as we ride our drunk asses to 15-0 muthatrucka 

Just now, admo said:

So is Dawson coaching the interior lineman and edge/OLB?  Doesn't he have previous experience coaching DL?  I forget, thanks.

From the sounds of what Frost had to say it sounds like Busch will be helping out a little on defense. I would imagine he will help with OLBs with Chins. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Enjoy sitting on the sidelines as we ride our drunk asses to 15-0 muthatrucka 

From the sounds of what Frost had to say it sounds like Busch will be helping out a little on defense. I would imagine he will help with OLBs with Chins. 

I will still probably be drunk, just for different reasons, and not driving some runaway bus like you! :cheers

This thread keeps putting a nagging voice of doubt in my head.

It keeps making me think back on what I was thinking ahead of the 2017 season. On paper, it looked like Riley had made the moves he needed to take a step forward. He'd hired a new big name DC, and he'd finally have his guy at QB. I was never a Riley fan, but I was feeling cautiously optimistic at that point.

We all know how that turned out...