Gotta hand it Frost (and the new hires)

22 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

First off, gotta commend Frost on his hires. They came in and hit the recruiting trail running. Being able to land the transfers we did, and then to top it off today with Allen and Bonner, is commendable. Very excited about what the future holds!

I agree.  I think Frost had a very good offseason.  Now just need to translate that to wins this fall and keep building. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

For what Frost accomplished in this season and the downhill trajectory, he most certainly outperformed and helped to change the trajectory in every area except OL and DL.  I realize he has added some guys on the OL, but nothing that changes the trajectory [as I see it].  He appears to have at least fortified perhaps RB and WR although I would not say solidified those positions.  For me, he has to change the OL position before we will perhaps see anything solidified at the RB position.  I still see two more years before you see a mature OL and know if Scott/staff can recruit OL and/or develop.

No kool-aid here.  I'm thinking we can now win 1-2 more games next year.  No bowl here. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

For what Frost accomplished in this season and the downhill trajectory, he most certainly outperformed and helped to change the trajectory in every area except OL and DL.  I realize he has added some guys on the OL, but nothing that changes the trajectory [as I see it].  He appears to have at least fortified perhaps RB and WR although I would not say solidified those positions.  For me, he has to change the OL position before we will perhaps see anything solidified at the RB position.  I still see two more years before you see a mature OL and know if Scott/staff can recruit OL and/or develop.

No kool-aid here.  I'm thinking we can now win 1-2 more games next year.  No bowl here. 

I think you're being a bit bearish though history gives you every right to. 

From my perspective, even if we see zero improvement from the O line- the addition of an actual qb who can throw the ball, coupled with an actual competent punter and kicker alone turns games like michigan st, illinois, and minnesota into wins. 

I, for one, think we'll see a noticeable improvement in the o line.  lets not forget they looked just fine against michigan before teddy's injury. That story of frosty needing to bring in outside help to correct jurgens snapping issues (and it was done in 5 mins) tells me g austin couldnt teach fundamentals. 

Pretty solid offseason knowing the season we came out of. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Here we go with the kool-aid pumping.  I am excited to see what the media department and the sports writers will come up with between now and August.  I am not buying any of it until I see it.  

It may be a bit of kool-aide drinking. Who cares. But I for 1 am a bit excited to see what our Offense could look like with a Qb who can stand in the pocket and deliver the football on short passes as well as the deep ball. If our WR Coach can get our Group of Wr's to run routes and get open our Rb's will improve alone. The o-line just has to be a little bit above average for this offense to succeed and win some games. Now if they can become good even better.  I know im drunk of the K-aide but hell we deserve to be excited for once..

59 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I have to agree and I've been a pretty critical of HCSF the last couple of years. Now if it translates into wins on the field remains to be seen but given where we were in Nov. when Frost was retained but the staff was let go this is about as good as I could have hoped for.

Here we go with the kool-aid pumping.  I am excited to see what the media department and the sports writers will come up with between now and August.  I am not buying any of it until I see it.  

I agree with both of you.

• Thanks 1

At least there were significant changes made this year.  The last few years have been everyone trying really hard to convince themselves it was going to be better based on not much more than unicorn farts.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, runningblind said:

I’ve been as pessimistic as anyone over the past several years - heck, I’ve been banned for my “doom and gloom” outlook multiple times, no matter how accurate my predictions turned out to be - but even I am impressed with all of the things that have happened since the end of the season. Whether or not the staff can put all the pieces of the puzzle together and get the machine back on track is. another story, but I’m optimistic. 

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

At least there were significant changes made this year.  The last few years have been everyone trying really hard to convince themselves it was going to be better based on not much more than unicorn farts.

29 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I’ve been as pessimistic as anyone over the past several years - heck, I’ve been banned for my “doom and gloom” outlook multiple times, no matter how accurate my predictions turned out to be - but even I am impressed with all of the things that have happened since the end of the season. Whether or not the staff can put all the pieces of the puzzle together and get the machine back on track is. another story, but I’m optimistic. 

What you say is true, there have been a lot of changes, but now we are expecting a whole bunch of changes to come together all at once and that most likely won't happen right away either.  It feels good to have new things happening but I still get the gut feeling this is still smoke and mirrors and unicorn farts. :lol: I have to see it with my own eyes this time until I believe a word I'm fed.